Olympus XA in B&W

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by ptolemyx, Jul 23, 2013.

1. ptolemyx

ptolemyx Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 19, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Ben
    Got this little camera in EX++ condition from a craigslist ad last week. I've never used one before--it's a hell of a lot of fun to shoot with, and I haven't picked up my EM5 since! (I'm sure that's just a phase.)

These were shot with Ilford XP2 Super, and processed direct to digital at London Drugs.

2. cpt000

cpt000 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 11, 2012
    The XA is proof that you don't need large lenses for full frame

3. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Yeah Yoshihisa Maitani squeezed a 6 element lens into that tiny body, using a retro-focal design. It's a fun and very good little camera, a real rangefinder, with a real lens, and just a blast to use. The fall-off in the corners isn't a big deal; you can use it to effect, or you can dodge it to even things out. I've got two in case one breaks.

4. simonz

simonz Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2010
    New England
    Great pics. I love the XA and b&w film look. No matter how hard I try, I can't get the same effects from digital. I should dust off my Oly XA's, if only I could find a place that would develop (I sold my dark room gear a few years ago).

5. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    They are amazing. I sold my only working one, but I have a "display model" in my camera case. Quite a cool little cam. The size is mind boggling the first time you pick it up.

6. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    I used one for years, backpacking in the Wind River Range. Got some great shots with that little gem.

7. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    For me personally after shooting the XA, XA2, the T2 and the LC-A there was no reason to have a DSLR anymore. Sadly when i came to NZ realized how expensive is to develop any film, besides no one would sell good film or develop it properly. is like the are killing it on purpose. which sucks.

great shots Ben, number 2 is my favorite! keep shooting that little jewel of a camera!.

8. ptolemyx

ptolemyx Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 19, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Ben
    Seems like a popular little camera. :)

It's only been a week, but I can't see myself parting with it anytime soon -- it's just such a great, compact device, and I'm very happy with these first results; considering its cosmetic & operating condition, my copy has obviously had a relatively cushy 30+ year life!

9. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    Up to the early 90s cameras were built to last a lifetime and they were advertise as such. nowadays hopefully they last 5 years or 10 tops. in fact i think they are made with obsolescence as part of its DNA, so if a camera last you more than expected is a "bad business" anyway...

and yes the XA series from olympus were a succesful hit in the mid 80s! in fact its designer Yoshihisa Maitani won several awards. He also created the OM and Pen series.

10. ptolemyx

ptolemyx Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 19, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Ben
    Digital technology advances so quickly, and we (consumers) are so used to that advancement, that I don't think there's a good business case for designing a digital product to last more than ~5 years simply because the vast majority of users would want to replace it before then--even if it was still working perfectly.

He was a genius; I also have a super nice OM-2, which is just about the perfect slow-fi SLR, as far as I'm concerned. :)

11. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    Sure but with that type of thinking, means that it would have been impossible then, for you to get a fully working and snappy XA 30 years later. :biggrin:

And yes, he was a genius! enjoy your XA and share with us more images! :2thumbs: