Olympus 'Wow' camera to have Global Shutter? (Rumor)

Mack

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
If they try to go to for more megapixels, that would work against having a global shutter which might scan the sensor at a much faster rate, maybe 1/1000 sec. instead of 1/20 to 1/50 in silent.

Better EVF or LCD? Better IBIS? Some cellphone AI stuff added into it? SIM card? Better AF? CFexpress card for faster writes? Dunno.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Legend
Better EVF or LCD? Better IBIS? Some cellphone AI stuff added into it? SIM card? Better AF? CFexpress card for faster writes? Dunno.
Other than the cellphone AI stuff maybe, in my mind those other things are incremental upgrades and hardly would be a "Wow" factor. I dunno either but curious what OMDS defines as a "Wow" feature or experience. What we can all count on is that what ever those Wow factors are, half of us here will be disappointed and have complaints. ;)

Mack

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
For me a "WOW!!!" would be if they can actually do a full sensor scan at their top speed of 1/32,000 sec. or even 1/16,000 like the older model E-M1 Mark I. That would allow one to use the full output of their flash units and not throttling it down to a longer duration at a lot less peak output as with HSS. No more mechanical shutter either.

Aside, my dash cam has no mechanical shutter and I still wonder how the heck it still operates with the car parked outside and with the sun burning through the lens all day onto the sensor. I would expect the Sony sensor in it to be permanately damaged or burned up by now.

Mack

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Was looking at the Olympus DP74 microscope camera specs that uses a global shutter. http://www.cytekgroup.com/product/category/subcategory/item?id=21

It pixel shifts with a 3MP camera, but the output is 20.7MP (Sounds familiar to current unshifting models?). If the DP74 specs of 39 ?s is really 39 us, then it might hit a top scan speed of 1/25,000 sec or maybe 1/32,000 for a global scanning still camera, although not sure how they will also do a combined pixel shift and whatever extra time that might take. Could be a bit misleading in marketing (i.e. Lower the MP count a lot, but increase the sensor's scan speed - and toss in some pixel shift too.), but maybe enough to cause a stir.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Legend
Rolling shutter. Isn't that more of a video feature?
You see it with still photography when the motion of the subject is very fast and you get weird distortions of those moving parts (an arm will look longer or weirdly bent on a tennis player serving the ball for example).

walter_j

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Walter
You see it with still photography when the motion of the subject is very fast and you get weird distortions of those moving parts (an arm will look longer or weirdly bent on a tennis player serving the ball for example).
The rolling shutter was bad in mark 1, but mk 2 really reduced distortion. I haven't really noticed it since. But a global shutter
a wow feature? Hmm. Maybe not. Nice thing about landscapes - no shutter issues

doady

Mu-43 All-Pro
Whatever it is, I am sure that the people who conceived of this camera were not the suits in Olympus corporate headquarters but the people in their imaging division who also came over in the divestment.

Hypilein

Mu-43 All-Pro
I'm not a video shooter but Global Shutter also means huge sync speed for strobes. For Underwater Photography or any other kind of flash photography global shutter would be huge and mu43 is already fairly popular in the underwater world. Between Olympus bringing out this and Panasonic maybe getting decent AF in the GH6 it would be a really nice boost for the overall system.

JonSnih

Mu-43 All-Pro
I'm not a video shooter but Global Shutter also means huge sync speed for strobes. For Underwater Photography or any other kind of flash photography global shutter would be huge and mu43 is already fairly popular in the underwater world. Between Olympus bringing out this and Panasonic maybe getting decent AF in the GH6 it would be a really nice boost for the overall system.
At the end of the day OM/Oly will use "an ordinary" 4/3 stacked sensor and Panny will stick with DFD .-D

stevedo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve
If OMDS don't deliver something innovative and groundbreaking they will be severely criticised. If they do indeed deliver a "wow" camera people will complain that it's too expensive.

I'd hate to be in their shoes.

Latest threads

Top Bottom