Olympus 'Wow' camera to have Global Shutter? (Rumor)

stevedo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve
If OMDS don't deliver something innovative and groundbreaking they will be severely criticised. If they do indeed deliver a "wow" camera people will complain that it's too expensive.

I'd hate to be in their shoes.

Photon

Mu-43 Regular
Honestly, a global shutter is probably one of the only upgrades that would make me seriously consider an upgrade. Having no rolling shutter with pro capture and a higher flash sync speed would be useful to me. Other upgrades like improved autofocus would be an added bonus.

However, I don't tend to spend much on camera bodies (I spent $800 on an EM5, all others have been less than $500), and am pretty satisfied with my current EM1 mkii. But a global shutter may cause me to spend more.

BrianLa

Mu-43 Regular
this tired old rumor gets trotted out every time Olympus... OMDS has a new camera in the works. Would be great for sports or video shooters, but for most "normal" photography it's not going to make a lot of difference.
Considering that the OMD cameras are "Swiss Army knife machines" there are multiple uses for a global shutter. I could easily do landscape, wildlife, portrait, aircraft and motorsports in one day. I will be very happy and wowed to see a global shutter! I have absolutely no interest in "normal" photography, whatever that is. I am not one-dimensional!

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
I've read where the Blackmagic 6K Pro has a global shutter. It's primarily a cinema camera, but their website says it will also shoot 21 MP stills as well. I cannot find anything about still image shutter speeds on their spec page though and don't know how they incorporated that part. Maybe Olympus has an answer. I'd love to shoot flash-fill in HSS mode at 1/32,000 sec with a Noct lens - and no loss in flash output as happens with current HSS setups that just do not work at that speed now with their silent shutters (Unless one uses old flash bulbs and a sync controller.).

Bring on a fast global shutter please! :2thumbs:

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom