1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Olympus worldwide warranty?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dhazeghi, Feb 8, 2014.

1. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Has anybody had experience with the 'Olympus Worldwide Warranty?' I've seen several eBay sellers advertising them (mostly from Hong Kong and Korea) - but my impression was that Olympus America required a USA warranty to do servicing. If the warranty is in fact honored here, there would a handy thing to know. Thanks.

2. denniscloutier

denniscloutier Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 24, 2011
    I've bought Olympus gear in the US and had warranty service done in Canada with no problem. I think their warranty is worldwide.

3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    That's encouraging. I'm wondering if anybody has done the opposite - purchased in Canada or Asia and had it serviced in the USA?

4. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    You can always call Olympus USA tech and confirm it.

5. griswoldo

griswoldo Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2011
    Did you ever find out any information about this? Just asking because it's a Saturday and Olympus support isn't open on the weekends. If nobody responds I'll call on Monday and post what I find out.

6. griswoldo

griswoldo Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2011
    Just called Olympus America. According to them, if you purchase the camera in Canada, Asia, or any other country you can get it repaired under warranty here in the US. This is because Olympus America participates in the worldwide warranty program.

There are countries that don't - one that I've seen mentioned quite often is Australia. What those threads claim is that if an Australian resident buys a camera in the US, for example, it needs to be returned to the US for warranty service because Olympus Australia doesn't participate in the worldwide warranty program. Pretty much all those posts are from 2011 though, and I don't know if that's true anymore. There is a local Australia warranty that's better than the worldwide warranty, but it seems to me that all that means is that if you buy a camera in the Oceania region then that better warranty applies to you. If not, then you fallback to the standard worldwide warranty. Of course, I'm not an Australia resident, haven't talked to Olympus Australia, and am certainly no expert, so this is just my opinion. But according to the Authorized Distributors List that Olympus America directed me to, it does seem to indicate that Australia does participate in the worldwide warranty program, whereas countries like Cambodia, Israel, and Jordan (to name a few) do not. In some countries, like Thailand, there are 2 distributors - one which does participate and one which does not. You have to look for the little "W" icon next to each distributor.

Rather confusing for a "worldwide" warranty in my opinion but still, it seems like a good deal to me compared to other manufacturers.

• Like Like x 1
  7. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
  8. Leif

Leif Mu-43 Regular

Sep 28, 2012
    Germany
    Leif
    I've had ordered my previous E-PL5 from Hongkong because it wasn't available in Germany at that time (2012). When I asked the service about it they wrote me that it doesn't matter where I buy it because it's still their product (I wish more companies would handle it like this). Even the warranty card isn't necessary (mine didn't include one) as long as I have an invoice. The only difference is that the worldwide warranty is 1 year, while in a few other countries it might be 2 years.