1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus Worldwide Warranty problems

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Dramaturg, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Dramaturg

Dramaturg Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2013
    Ukraine
    Yevgen
    I bought my OM-D with 17mm lens in the States. I knew it comes with the worldwide warranty hence I thought there wouldn't be a problem with it in Ukraine. After I detected a defect in the lens I wrote to Olympus-Ukraine and asked where they do international repair service. They said they'd accept my lens but it would be shipped to Moscow as that was their main service center for major repairs in the region. They also gave me the address of the Ukrainian service center that would take care of my lens and send it to Moscow. So, on October the 3rd I handed my 17mm lens to the service center. According to their database they shipped it to Moscow on October the 4th. However, as of now there is no information about the repair status. I phoned the Ukrainian service center and they simply said the lens was not registered with the Moscow service center yet. Yet? 32 days after the lens was shipped? Seriously? Where is it? They don't know where is it, of course. I wrote to Olympus-Ukraine and they simply ignore my enquiries.

The legal side of the issue is the following. When I handed my lens I signed the agreement with the service center that the repair might take up to 45 days (even though according to Ukrainian legislation it shouldn't be longer than 14 days) but no longer than that. Usually, if the item is lost or something and there is no information about it for more than 45 days since it was handed for repair (which often happens in Ukraine) a person should be able to claim a replacement with the vendor. The problem is that my vendor is not in Ukraine and it seems that legally I cannot claim for anything. Or can I? What is the purpose of the International Warranty then? Does anyone know what should I do in the situation like that?

2. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    The vendor is the company you sent it to, isn't it? And you said they ARE in the Ukraine.

3. Dramaturg

Dramaturg Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2013
    Ukraine
    Yevgen
    The vendor is the seller. And it is in the States. The company in Ukraine is an authorised Olympus service center. They simply do repairs. As I realize only vendors replace and exchange items. Am I right? How would International Warranty then be applied in case an item needs to be exchanged?