Olympus Workspace shows AF Target.

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
I've just been shown that Olympus Workspace 1.5 shows AF Target now (but not sure if it was there earlier), something that has been wanted for quite some time (I obviously missed it in the details of the last update). I also tried cropping & magnified view to see how it behaved with these settings that I have selected as well, including clicking on to select the AF target symbol at the bottom of the screen (it remembers that setting afterwards).

Olympus Workspace AF Target.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

It doesn't show in the update chart here, but maybe was mentioned in the update notes that's shown when installing.

1631618053297.jpeg

Last edited:

exakta

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Thanks for the tip. I've been wanting this for a long time to help me figure out why I have focus issues with certain subjects.

mcasan

Mu-43 All-Pro
I never said focus target. I said focus areas. If you focus on a given object, everything in that same distance from the lens should be in focus with the aperture determining how thick or thin the focus area is. So the question is are the things you wanted in focus part of the focus plane indicated by the focus mask.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Don't know what I am doing wrong but I can't get the focus point to show on my iMac.
I have the menu items ticked the same as the top screen shot, AF target box is clicked on.
Even tried loading a B&W image to make it easier to see the green box but nothing.

Is there anything else I need to enable to see the focus box ?

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
Don't know what I am doing wrong but I can't get the focus point to show on my iMac.
I have the menu items ticked the same as the top screen shot, AF target box is clicked on.
Even tried loading a B&W image to make it easier to see the green box but nothing.

Is there anything else I need to enable to see the focus box ?
See my video clip.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
See my video clip.
Thanks for the video :thumbup:
I did not have the thumb nail AF checked, do now.

I now have it working. Just loaded up a whole lot of EM10 images and some do not have the AF point. I think I may have run them through snapped as all the raws have the AF point but a few jpeg ones dont. So I guess this info may be removed if do do something in another editor.

Some really surprised me, I really missed my focus point on some shots that I would have otherwise not known, big targets as well.
Wonder when I wear my glasses I get some sort of parallax error, or just plain out right user error and poor focusing. Probably the latter.

Anyway glad I got this sorted out, this will come in very handy

Edit
Looking more closely at some of the spider shots where the focus point is way off. I am thinking could it still have been inside the focus box square.
I find it too difficult to use the Olympus pin point small focus square as it always changes to the next size up that you can zoom as soon as I try to drag it while looking through the view finder. I think this normal non pin point focus may have multiple focus points in it, and since it covers about 4x the area of the spider head who knows where the final focus point will be.

Does anyone know if the normal focus box that you can troll the size of have multiple point in it at the smallest size ?
the below two examples seem to be consistent with focus box size and the size of the target. On small targets the focus is really hit and miss :hmmm:

Below is where the focus point ends dup when the focus box is about 4 x the size of the head

Screen Shot 2021-09-23 at 5.32.15 pm.png

Below is on a bigger critter when the focus box is about the same size of the head

Screen Shot 2021-09-23 at 5.35.05 pm.png

Last edited:

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
Thanks for the video :thumbup:
I did not have the thumb nail AF checked, do now.

I now have it working. Just loaded up a whole lot of EM10 images and some do not have the AF point. I think I may have run them through snapped as all the raws have the AF point but a few jpeg ones dont. So I guess this info may be removed if do do something in another editor.

Some really surprised me, I really missed my focus point on some shots that I would have otherwise not known, big targets as well.
Wonder when I wear my glasses I get some sort of parallax error, or just plain out right user error and poor focusing. Probably the latter.

Anyway glad I got this sorted out, this will come in very handy

Edit
Looking more closely at some of the spider shots where the focus point is way off. I am thinking could it still have been inside the focus box square.
I find it too difficult to use the Olympus pin point small focus square as it always changes to the next size up that you can zoom as soon as I try to drag it while looking through the view finder. I think this normal non pin point focus may have multiple focus points in it, and since it covers about 4x the area of the spider head who knows where the final focus point will be.

Does anyone know if the normal focus box that you can troll the size of have multiple point in it at the smallest size ?
the below two examples seem to be consistent with focus box size and the size of the target. On small targets the focus is really hit and miss :hmmm:

Below is where the focus point ends dup when the focus box is about 4 x the size of the head

View attachment 909025

Below is on a bigger critter when the focus box is about the same size of the head

View attachment 909026
Yes, the small box in Oly Workspace is only showing the centre of a larger area. Do a crop & look at that crop filling the screen & the box is still the same small size too.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom