Olympus Workspace/Camera Updater and Mac Big Sur 11/3 and/or M1 Chip Not Working

Ranger Rick

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rick
Trying to use Olympus Workspace and resulting Camera Updater to save Pen-F settings (have done this many times before on older computer/OS). The Camera Updater launches but popup says it is limited and I must change settings in System Preferences Security settings. Tried that and could not find anything to authorize. I am familiar with this process for a few other apps, which show up in the General tab and you can then allow. No such situation here.

Spoke with Tech Support, they think it must be an OS compatibility issue, and takes a while for software to be updated, but not really sure.

Is anyone running Big Sur 11.3 able to use this capability? Anyone using an M1 Mac able to do so? If so, would appreciate your assistance.

mawz

Mu-43 Veteran
It's USB and/or file system access in the System Preferences security settings.

They're extremely badly documented and Apple has broken a lot of software because it can't properly adjust security settings automatically. It's not the M1, I had the same issue on my 2014 Mini on Big Sur.

I'll try and post the settings I had to adjust this evening when I'm at my Mac, but it is entirely fixable and no OS compatibility.

btolley

New to Mu-43
@maws
"It's USB and/or file system access in the System Preferences security settings." Say what???

I tried to do a simple firmware update so my Oly 300mm lens would work with my new 2x teleconvertor and the Olympus updater would not run on Big Sur.

I filed a question with Olympus tech support and they told me Big Sur was not supported. So I pulled out and plugged in my El Capitan iMac to update.
So if you have found a work around, please share. Thx!

mawz

Mu-43 Veteran
Just checked, and in the Privacy section of the Security & Privacy settings pane I gave OlympusUpdateManager 'Full Disk Access' permissions

In addition, Olympus Workspace should have all 4 options checked in 'Files and Folders' access (OlympusUpdateManager shows up there as well, but is greyed out as it has Full Disk Access permissions)

That got everything working for me. I had the exact same issues before I enabled that access.

Real Name
Walter
Last edited:

Ranger Rick

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rick
I will give this a try, thanks Walter. I did gather up the courage to try that Snow app which lets you use the SD card to install the update- nothing happened, so I don't know if that tells me the 2nd Pen F actually has the very latest (same as 1st Pen F) firmware and the OS compatibility is the culprit in saying I don't have latest FW, or whether it simply doesn't work, or wrong phase of the moon or...
Updating via a cable (or now supposedly wifi via the phone app) is such a PITA, so much easier to just put the firmware on an SD card, pop in the camera, and good to go. Just updated my Panasonic G9 to v2.4, a breeze. No cables to scrounge up, yada yada.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom