Olympus Workplace now available for download

Brian Beezley

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Thanks for reminding me of the camera contrast limits, Ross. I've never adjusted contrast in camera. I still don't see why the adjustment in Workspace isn't wider. It would make things easier. The tone curve provides more complex adjustment, but I find it a lot trickier to get the effect I want. Often all I need is a simple contrast adjustment, but beyond the limits the program provides.

Brian

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
Thanks for reminding me of the camera contrast limits, Ross. I've never adjusted contrast in camera. I still don't see why the adjustment in Workspace isn't wider. It would make things easier. The tone curve provides more complex adjustment, but I find it a lot trickier to get the effect I want. Often all I need is a simple contrast adjustment, but beyond the limits the program provides.

Brian
They did add Clarity & Dehaze though, which does have the effect of increasing contrast & I like the results.
If I want better Highlight recovery, I would use Capture One, but I do like to use OWS where I can though.

RickinAust

Mu-43 Veteran
At least most of you can get it run. On my Alieware Win10 pro machine it gets to the splash logo hangs there for a while and closes down. I can't even get it to open!
OK fixed it.
I found the below link to this problem. It seems that the program has some sort of Conflict when a system has both an Intel onboard graphics and NVIDIA graphics card. To fix it I updated the NVIDIA Graphics driver and editing the registry as described in the below link.
It now works OK.
I suggest that you pass this on to Olympus so they can fix it. Even though it talks about DAZ studio it seems it's the same issue.
Getting a Fatal Error on Launch - Solved

This is the relevant post:
I was having this problem too. I am using Windows 10 and the 64 bit version of Daz 4.10. I had an onboard Intel graphics card and have just added an Nvidia card.

Daz Studio wouldn't start - it didn't seem to make a difference what settings I chose in Nvidia Control panel.

I couldn't find a way to uninstall the OpenCL drivers but I did find a way to disable it by editing a registry key (found on the Intel Developer forum).

The registry key for the 64 bit version is at:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Khronos\OpenCL\Vendors

I changed the value for the REG_DWORD with key "C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\igdlh64.inf_amd64_250db833a1cd577e\IntelOpenCL64.dll" from "0" to "1".

I haven't tried but the forum said that the registry entry for the 32 bit version is at "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Khronos\OpenCL\Vendors".

Last edited:

ac12

Mu-43 All-Pro
I found that it needs CPU or GPU horsepower. Apparently my 3.2GHz quad core is not enough.
I have the circling wheel as it processes the image change, and I have to just sit there until it finishes. OK for a few pics, but when I am editing a LOT of pics, that becomes an issue.
And I predict it will just get worse when I start processing 20MP RAW files.

If it makes use of a GPU, I might have to bite the bullet and put a GPU card into my computer.

Stefano Macchetta

New to Mu-43
I have the same problem you already wrote about. How can i try to fix it? I tried with GPU control panel but it doesn't work. I don't know how to find the registry key to change. Is it the same on all PC or it depend? How can I check what exactly is not working?

OK fixed it.
I found the below link to this problem. It seems that the program has some sort of Conflict when a system has both an Intel onboard graphics and NVIDIA graphics card. To fix it I updated the NVIDIA Graphics driver and editing the registry as described in the below link.
It now works OK.
I suggest that you pass this on to Olympus so they can fix it. Even though it talks about DAZ studio it seems it's the same issue.
Getting a Fatal Error on Launch - Solved

This is the relevant post:
I was having this problem too. I am using Windows 10 and the 64 bit version of Daz 4.10. I had an onboard Intel graphics card and have just added an Nvidia card.

Daz Studio wouldn't start - it didn't seem to make a difference what settings I chose in Nvidia Control panel.

I couldn't find a way to uninstall the OpenCL drivers but I did find a way to disable it by editing a registry key (found on the Intel Developer forum).

The registry key for the 64 bit version is at:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Khronos\OpenCL\Vendors

I changed the value for the REG_DWORD with key "C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\igdlh64.inf_amd64_250db833a1cd577e\IntelOpenCL64.dll" from "0" to "1".

I haven't tried but the forum said that the registry entry for the 32 bit version is at "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Khronos\OpenCL\Vendors".

Brian Beezley

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Workspace version 1.1 still has these bugs that I reported months ago:

1. Saturation -1 in camera is displayed as 0 in the Workspace menu.

2. AUTO gradation in camera results in the following behavior: If you select AUTO in the Workspace menu, visible gradation changes slightly. If you then uncheck gradation, visible gradation changes greatly. There should be no change in either case. Making any change to gradation reduces displayed image resolution.

3. Attempting to delete an ORF from Workspace often fails. Workspace says that the file is in use by another program, which it never is.

Camera: E-PL2. OS: Windows 10.

I sent this report to Olympus USA this morning (and this time also to Olympus Japan).

Brian

RickinAust

Mu-43 Veteran
I have the same problem you already wrote about. How can i try to fix it? I tried with GPU control panel but it doesn't work. I don't know how to find the registry key to change. Is it the same on all PC or it depend? How can I check what exactly is not working?
In WIn 10 in the Search bar just type Regedit. This brings up the registry edit app and you can edit entries. HOWEVER, BE VERY CAREFUL AS IF YOU STUFF SOMETHING UP YOU CAN ESSENTIALLY BRICK YOUR PC.

fader

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I held out a narrow hope that I could make OWS run under Wine64 (v 4.0.1) on my Ubuntu 18.10 laptop machine. OWS 1.1 It installs and startups up brilliantly - even the launcher icon on the desktop works. Tweaking a couple of raw files seems like it was working well - slow on my old dual-core machine and at least 1 CPU is buried the whole time, but working. Shadow recovery, sharpening, filters - all of the adjustment features work.

View attachment 755142

Only problem is that File Export fails - no combination of options or formats seems to make it work. It just generates a really generic error and if I persist, it will crash Gnome desktop manager forcing a desktop-env restart. I'll have to poke at it later. Not a file permissions issue as I can create new directories with the program. I suspect there's an imaging or graphics dependency that flakes out or is missing.

Baenwort

Mu-43 Regular
Has anyone seen a good list for what the new 1.2 update does/fixes?

The date on it is 17OCT2019

The list in the readme mentions a muticomposite but there are no explanations.

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
Has anyone seen a good list for what the new 1.2 update does/fixes?

The date on it is 17OCT2019

The list in the readme mentions a muticomposite but there are no explanations.
You can find all the updates from here. https://cs.olympus-imaging.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/download/software/index.cfm

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Mac is the same for the last update, but there can be things not mentioned too.

Brian Beezley

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Workspace version 1.1 still has these bugs that I reported months ago:

1. Saturation -1 in camera is displayed as 0 in the Workspace menu.

2. AUTO gradation in camera results in the following behavior: If you select AUTO in the Workspace menu, visible gradation changes slightly. If you then uncheck gradation, visible gradation changes greatly. There should be no change in either case. Making any change to gradation reduces displayed image resolution.

3. Attempting to delete an ORF from Workspace often fails. Workspace says that the file is in use by another program, which it never is.

Camera: E-PL2. OS: Windows 10.

I sent this report to Olympus USA this morning (and this time also to Olympus Japan).

Brian
Version 1.2 still has each of the bugs I reported for 1.1, except that making any change to gradation results in this:

screen.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Brian

Brian Beezley

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
One more bug: Tilt Adjustment (in Crop) causes 1.2 to crash. E-PL2, Windows 10.

Olympus was responsive and helpful earlier this year, but they have not replied to my last two bug reports. We'll see if this makes three.

Brian

Edit - After waiting several days for a reply, I phoned Olympus support. They confirmed that they had received my three email bug reports. They didn't know why I had received no replies. A couple hours later I got an email with an escalation case number. I assume this means they are finally going to look into the bugs.

To report an Olympus camera or software issue in the U.S, send an email to distec@olympus.com. If you don't get a reply, phone 888-553-4448.

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom