Olympus wireless flash questions

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by Radiohead, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Radiohead

Radiohead Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 1, 2011
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Today I have a set of cheap Yongnuo flashes & RF triggers that I've used both with my Oly cameras and my Sony cameras. Something I'm really missing however is the convenience of setting manual flash exposure from the camera instead of having to run around between the flashes and do manual adjustments on the flash itself.

On the OMD in RC wireless mode i can have up to 3 groups of remote flashes (+1 group for the on-camera trigger) where i can either configure a group as TTL or set a manual exposure, i.e. 1/32, and to me this sounds ideal.

Some specific questions that relates to this,

1. Which flashes, oly or others, can work as commander on camera? I.e. Is able to act as trigger for groups 1-3 AND contribute to exposure as well? Ideal candidates would be either omd kit flash or the fl-600r.

2. The Oly flashes are quite expensive here, the 600r cost more than 50% more then the metz 50 af-1. Which flashes except the Oly units are fully compatible with the oly wireless protocol and can be used as in paragraph 2 above? HSS / FP mode is not that important to me in wireless mode.

From what i have understood the Metz 50 AF-1 is a good candidate except that it does not seem to work as a commander on-camera. Either way, i'd appreciate some input on the questions above and hopefully I can find something which is affordable..

2. Radiohead

Radiohead Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 1, 2011
    Stockholm, Sweden
    For whatever it is worth, I did eventually order two Metz 50 AF-1 flashes. However, they are not compatible with the OMD while using them in wirless + M mode, i.e. setting manual exposure in the camera RC menu. Metz confirmed this is an issue with the OMD (works fine with my EPL-3) but did not commit on when a firmware update would be available. Should have gone for the FL-600R i guess ... :mad:

3. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

When I'm lazy I set the flashes to be just too bright and use ND filters to modulate the light level reaching the camera.

Also, sometimes I just cannot balance multiple flashes so some Roscolux ND gel filters (97, 98, 397 or 398) go on the flash head to fine tune the level. Not really ND but seems to work not too bad.

I can't bring myself to spring for expensive brand specifc flashes ...