1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus - what's next?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by speedandstyle, Mar 2, 2012.

1. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The new E-M5 will be here soon but what is next? According to an article at TechRadar the next camera will be a PEN.

Next Olympus camera likely to be a PEN | News | TechRadar

What will it be and what will be new? I bet many of the improvements in the E-M5 will be used! The 5 axis stabilization and new 3D AF for sure. I read someplace where Olympus is considering putting an built in viewfinder in the PEN. Not sure which level will be the next one E-P4 , E-PL4 or E-PM2?

The other thing that Olympus has said was they are working on new lenses and better performance between m43 bodies and full 4/3 lenses.

2. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy

3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I would expect them to reuse the E-M5 sensor in all new bodies moving forward. Normally, there's about 12 months between updates, so by the summer, I'd expect an E-P4 with a newer sensor. Not as sure about the IS - depends how small the mechanism is, and how much power it draws.

I seriously doubt they would put a built-in VF in the Pen series. That's really the whole point of the OM-D series.

DH

• Like Like x 1
  4. bongestrella

bongestrella Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 2, 2011
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    You are pretty much describing the em-5. I doubt very much that they will jeopardize its sale by introducing a very-similar-much-cheaper version of it so soon.

5. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    the motion sensor device for the image stabilization thingamabob is what is inside the faux pentaprism hump..... no 5 axis IS for PENs would be my guess.

6. foto2021

foto2021 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 5, 2011
    SE England

You're right.

A 16 MP PEN would seem a likely move, but my contacts at Olympus have told me that 5-axis IS for the PEN would not be technically possible.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    the sensor and the processing engine I think will be the only features to trickle down from the E-M5....and a possible new price point. With the E-M5 body + 14-42 at $1100, the new PEN can't get all the goodies in the E-M5 AND be $200 less. But I can see them leaving out a few bells and whistles and dropping the top PEN from $900 to $800.

8. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Wow, not only is this old news, but TechRadar didn't even report it accurately. Terada didn't say they were working on solving the focus issues with 4/3 lenses on m43 bodies. He said they were thinking about it. There's a big gap between thinking about a solution, coming up with a solution, and deciding it's profitable to make and sell that solution.

9. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    All I need next is an EPM1 with the new magical sensor (assuming it is indeed new and magical).

10. SZRimaging

SZRimaging Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2011
    Magical? What, do you work for Apple or something?

That said, an E-PM2 using the new sensor would be nice...

11. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    An E-PM2 with the new sensor, and an IBIS without the issues the E-PM1 has, and I might buy my first Oly camera, to go along with my GH2.

12. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I agree... the E-PMx line is the currently the sweet spot in the Olympus lineup. I would love to see that one updated. But I'm also very happy with the two I have now, lol.

13. alans

alans Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 28, 2010
    I want an E-P4, 5 or 6 with Canon's sensor from the 5D Mk III!

In the meantime I want to see more glass. The 75/1.8 will be very nice but Oly must have some new zooms hiding somewhere.

14. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    I'm doing my best to resist temptation and not upgrade from the E-PL1 until the next generation of PENs - I'm curious to see what tech makes it into the E-PL4/E-PM2.

15. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I don't think we'll see the new IBIS in the Pens -- the hump hides the motion sensors. No place to put that in the Pens. But I don't see why the new sensor can't be in there.

16. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Essentially, if the next Pen has the new sensor and improved auto focus, then it'll probably be enough. If they put in a built-in EVF, it'll be perfect. The 5-axis IS and WR would probably remain exclusive to the E-M5. That and the camera's form factor is probably enough difference in terms of marketing and price.

17. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Agree. New sensor, maybe DR a bit improved, same IBIS (it works well even if the E-M5's IBIS should be better), built-in EVF I doubt, good AF and it's sold.:thumbup: OH and tilting screen please.

18. taran

taran Mu-43 Regular

Oct 19, 2011
    Unfortunately, bankers run things now, so the next two years is already locked up and not very exciting I'm afraid, after that, hopefully the camera division will be sold to someone with moxy.

Fall: E-P-4, E-PL-4, E-PM2... with 16mpix panny sensor. The two lenses already announced. E-P4 gets 5 axis.

Next year: More of Panasonics table scraps. O-MD gets the revolutionary VF, whatever that means.

Olympus will slowly be bled out due to poor management and they will not invest in a revolutionary sensor because we have already seen they could care less. Unfortunately, they just don't have the capitalization or corporate ingenuity to survive in this tough market.

That said, I hope I am wrong.

19. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Wow lots of input here! I am not sure they will jump up to the 16MP for the PEN. Olympus has been very confident in the past that 12MP is more than enough for the consumer level. Of coarse that may have been marketing hype because that was the best they could do for a sensor.

As for 5 axis stabilization on a PEN , sure they could! It may require a slight hump or maybe a slightly taller or deeper body but it could be done. They might want to reserve that bit for the OM-D line however?

I do agree that they will probably add the tilting screen to the E-P and maybe even the E-PM , the E-PL3 already has it.

One thing that would be nice is a built in flash for all the PEN models. At this level Oly is loosing a few sales because of no flash.

20. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I hope not. They seem to have decided the f/4-6.3 is the right speed for zooms, and we have more than enough of those as it is.

I strongly suspect it is about the marketing. If they'd had more MP at the time, they would have used them. Now that they can, they will. Besides, it's not just about MP. The 12MP sensor has other drawbacks. It may have been state-of-the-art in 2008, but this is 2012 and things have fortunately moved forward.

DH