1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus WCON-P01 Wide Converter Lens - any users?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by the.growler, Jun 9, 2011.

1. the.growler

the.growler Mu-43 Regular

Now that these are trickling into the market, I was wondering if anyone has had any first-hand experience. The few sample images I've seen don't really tell me anything.

I love the Olympus 9-18mm but am intrigued with this as a pocketable option for travel use.

(And, yes, I know how to stitch. I'd rather make the image through the lens than on my monitor, thanks.)

2. frhappydave

frhappydave New to Mu-43

Jun 21, 2011
    New York City
    I just bought one (had a Groupon to 17th St. Photo here in NY, and they had it in stock, so I got it for $75). It seems to me like a wide converter you'd use to shoot video up close to people or in small spaces, without too much distortion (for an MTV hand-held camera look--or what they now do on CNN all the time).

Haven't shot many stills with it yet. Not sure it'll really add much "wideness" and may have a tad too much curvature distortion for landscapes.

3. frhappydave

frhappydave New to Mu-43

Jun 21, 2011
    New York City
    WCON Test photos

Since buying the WCON-P01, i have come to really like it. Here are some comparison shots. I have the 14-42, Mk II. I shot these with and without the WCON attached, from the same position and focusing on the same center point to keep as many variables controlled as possible. i did not process these shots as i would normally (no straightening or exposure adjustment). I was surprised that that the WCON did not affect exposure at all. I thought i'd lose a half a stop or so bc of the glass, but i kept track of exposure and it didn't change with/without the WCON.

Attached Files:

4. frhappydave

frhappydave New to Mu-43

Jun 21, 2011
    New York City
    More test photos

These give an idea of how much extra you get with the WCON. I shot the verticals of the real estate office to show the barrel distortion (look at the roof line of the building), which is way more present than at full wide on the 14-42mm kit zoom, but i don't mind it. Again, in all pairs of shots, i stood at the same spot and exposed the same with Shutter priority to see if i lost any exposure, but the F/stop remained the same.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  5. drewshen

drewshen New to Mu-43

Sep 22, 2012
    i'm curious, anyone used it on a 45mm before?