1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus WCON-P01 Wide Angle - Not Bad

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by FlyPenFly, Jul 25, 2013.

1. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Just got this yesterday and I had an hour to play with it today while the sun was going down.

Wcon-p01 - a set on Flickr

It makes the kit 14-42mm II R start at 21mm (equiv). It's reasonably sharp to 93% of the edges although the corners are much worse. Contrast and CA though is pretty good. I can usually get rid of almost all CA with just a +1 in purple for most scenes with skies and branches.

I wouldn't trust it to take a scene like this (Zeiss 21mm + A850):
    Jae Yoon 001 Copyright 2011.jpg | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

But it produces perfectly usable images for almost all other uses than high fidelity edge to edge landscapes. Almost no additional vignetting and it clips on easily and securely. I'm impressed for a $60 refurb part.

I'll be sure to write a full review when I had the chance to actually spend time with it.

Some of my preferred samples so far:

9361146023_1ff35fb3f5_b.
    Jae Yoon 003 Copyright 2013.jpg by jaetography, on Flickr

9363924330_c255d7a698_b.
    Jae Yoon 006 Copyright 2013.jpg by jaetography, on Flickr

9361149723_fcfc50b098_b.
    Jae Yoon 009 Copyright 2013.jpg by jaetography, on Flickr

9363926016_d902754ef4_b.
    Jae Yoon 008 Copyright 2013.jpg by jaetography, on Flickr

• Like Like x 2
  2. RichardB

RichardB Snapshooter

Nov 19, 2012
    Maryland, US
    Richard
    Fly, I really like how you toned your colors.

The WCON is the reason I sold my 14mm/2.5 pancake. The kit lens is sharper, and the WCON lets me take it down to 11mm. The pancake's only advantage was size, and I have a 17mm/2.8 to fill that role at a more generally useful focal length.

While I love what the WCON can do, I haven't yet used it much. Here's a test photo I took this spring. I'm looking uphill at the house, so most of the ground's curvature is realistic and not distorted.

Attached Files:

3. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    I modified my WCON-P01 to work BOTH on my 14mm lens and on my 14-42 II kit zoom. I came to the conclusion that the zoom might have been slightly sharper in the edges, but the distortion was a bit lower with the 14mm prime.

But once I bought the 7-14mm zoom, I really didn't need either the 14mm lens or the WCON.

4. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Looks good ta' me! :smile:

5. JoeV

JoeV Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2012
    Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
    Joe Van Cleave
    @FlyPenFly: How do you rate the wide angle to the BCL -15 body cap lens in terms of CA and overall optical quality? Also, what size threads does it mount to? I'd be interested in adapting it to my Lumix lenses, like the 14-45 and 20-1.7. Thanks.

~Joe

6. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011

Way better than the body cap.

Overall not as good as the 9-18 in the corners or the last 10% of the frame. Haven't seen what it can do at 15mm which is about 24mm in equivalence. The 14-42mm II though has more overall contrast and possibly more micro contrast which the converter maintains through 90% of the frame. The CA is easy to get rid of with just +1 or +2 in most situations in Lightroom CA removal tool.

You can probably mod it somehow to fit the 14-45 because someone modded it to fit the 14mm F2.5 on here. It's a bayonet mount though designed for the Oly 14-42mm II.

7. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    As the person who did the mod to fit the 14mm - The way you would modify it would be to - via any number of different methods, attach a 52mm filter ring with the glass removed to the back of the WCON. That's pretty much the only standard size that's close to the proper size to fit - but it's not exact. I found that the way to make the fit exact was to put a rubber band around the back of the WCON, and use it as a gasket - over which the 52mm ring snugly fit. Then, using a step-up or step down ring if needed, you would screw the WCON onto any target lens depending upon what size filter rings that lens had. In the case of the 14mm lens, what was needed was a 46-52 step-up ring.

But, here's the caveat: I don't think that the distance between the modified WCON and the 14mm lens was optimized - and as a result, one ended up with some field curvature that degraded the quality. At the end of the day, I didn't think that the WCON+ 14mm lens combo was any better than the WCON plus 14-42 II lens combo, and it might have been slightly worse. I ended up selling my WCON as a straight WCON, not modified, and I don't believe the mod was worth the effort in terms of any gained image quality.

8. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
  9. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    I agree with your observations that the 14-42 does seem to have more contrast and micro contrast with the wide converter than the Olympus 9-18 which I've owned twice.