Olympus WCON-P01 - $59 Factory Demos, $69 New

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by dougjgreen, Jul 3, 2013.

1. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    The prices are at Cameta, with free shipping in the U.S.

I got interested in this because Olympus sent me a mailing promoting it with test shots that indicated it converts the 14-42 II or IIR kit lens into a rectilinear 11mm lens - which I had not realized - I had previously thought this was a fisheye-type adapter, which didn't really interest me.

I also just got my quarterly ebay bucks certificate this morning, which was for $55 dollars that I needed to spend in the next 2 weeks, so by applying it to this purchase at Cameta's ebay store, I basically paid $4 out of pocket for it.

I have no idea just what sort of quality this produces, but for that price, I certainly will give it a try and report back. If the results are decent, then this will certainly serve a VERY useful purpose in providing an economical 11mm wide option, when every other means of getting 12mm or wider costs several hundred dollars more.

2. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    I wish the Panasonic version was priced that nice.

3. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    I just bought the Panasonic one for $103 shipped and my 14mm 2.5 is waiting to accept it! I could have gone the Olympus route but something tells me the 14mm will do a better 11mm. No zoom, but sharper and smaller.

4. sfmurph

sfmurph Mu-43 Regular

Jul 4, 2013
    San Francisco
    Where'd you get the Panasonic one for that? All the online places are either sold out or $150 imported from Japan!

5. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
  6. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    FYI, my WCON-P01 arrived today. While it's soft at the corners, especially wide open on the 14-42 II kit zoom, and there is a bit of barrel distortion, it's certainly acceptable enough to be a useful tool.

Incidentally, I believe that I have engineered a very straightforward and cost-effective means of attaching this WCON onto the 14mm f2.5 prime, Basically, what I did is put a small rubber band around the base of the WCON, and around that, I slid a 52mm filter ring with the glass removed onto that base, where it fits snugly over the rubber-band. With this 52mm filter ring attached properly, the lens still can mount onto the 14-42 II zoom via the bayonet. But now, with the addition of a 46-52mm step-up ring, it can simply screw onto the Panny 14mm lens' 46mm threads.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to test this WCON on the 14mm prime until the 46-52mm step-up ring that I just ordered for $3 arrives in the mail. Meanwhile, it still works fine on the 14-42 kit lens - although it won't be able to mount on it if the 46-52 step up ring is attached to the WCON - so that step-up ring should be left on the 14mm lens.

Basically, the cost of this solution in addition to the WCON, is simply the $3 step-up ring, a crappy old 52mm filter I happened to have lying around, and a small rubber band, worth around a nickel.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.