Olympus vs Sony vs Fuji

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by prophet, Apr 1, 2015.

1. prophet

prophet Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2014
    I am interested in how these different makers compare. Yes, I am aware this can be quite subjective, but still ..

So from your experience, which of these makers offers the best image quality? In how far does the sensor size influence IQ? Did anyone do a direct comparison?
  2. jeffryscott

jeffryscott Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 2, 2010
    I've owned all three systems: Oly E-M5's and now E-M1, Sony A6000, Fuji X-Pro 1 and X-T1.

I keep returning to Oly as in my opinion it is the best overall system for my needs. Sony A6000 is a marvel of technology, but seriously lacking lenses and a soul. Fuji has the best image quality to me, although some dislike the sensor. I loved it, and the lenses are sublime. The X-Pro was slow and deliberate and a great user experience. The X-T1 (an early serial number) had some very difficult to overcome ergonomic issues for me, and while I loved the analog dials, the E-M1 was just a bit more user friendly. Oly has some fantastic lenses that, especially used, are a bit more affordable and the size of the overall package is hard to beat.

All three brands are great in there own way, each with advantages and disadvantages. It really comes down to how it feels in hand. If you can, handle all three brands, get a sense of what lenses you need and want now, and what you may need or want in the future and make your decision that way. It may be worth renting each kit (I easily lost the rental price with each subsequent switch, so it was a wash financially between renting and reselling).

Good luck, you win with any of them!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Jeffryscott makes a lot of good points
    I come from a place of usability. If the camera in use frustrates me or gets in my way, I don't care how good the IQ is, it is out the door. Such is the case with the Fuji system for me. While a lot of people love it, I have a specific set of needs when shooting and the Fuji just could not keep up.

The Sony cameras, as jeffryscott mentioned, lack soul and they just don't feel right to me. I've never been enticed by them.

The m43 cameras give me the performance I need and the IQ is just fine at anything ISO 6400 and under for me. I still use my Nikon DSLRs for anything I need in extreme low light or where superior AF tracking is required. m43 is getting there but still has some more work to do in that regards.

If you are a pixel peeper and need the cleanest files possible, then you might not get along with m43 sensors. I shoot a lot to B&W and I have a post processing regimen that really doesn't require a spotless file to start with.

As a general, but not absolute rule, the larger sensor has the ability to give you a cleaner file, however, that does not mean it will necessarily give you the best file. IQ wise, there are plenty of people that prefer the look of the SOC JPG from the Olympus and Fuji cameras.

I don't have any Sony files to share, but here are some Flickr sets of mine that have Fuji X-E1 and X100, and Olympus OMD EM5 and EM1 files. Feel free to run through them - all EXIF should be there and I usually put any post processing stuff in there - at least what I used on it.

OMD EM1

OMD EM5

Fuji X-E1(X-Trans sensor)

Fuji X100(Bayer sensor)
  4. macro

macro Mu-43 Regular

Jan 22, 2012
    Depends on what you want. I crop every single shot I take and use exactly the same lenses on both the Sony and the Oly. Both are darn good, but it takes a lot to beat that 24 meg APS-C sensor on the Sony. Its one excellent sensor that can crop really well if you need to crop.

Oly should ask Sony for their focus peaking and Sony should ask Oly for their EVF, for me personally anyway. Both crop pretty well and show great details, which one is better is more of a distance thing with the different crop factors. Mind you, all I take is birds, BIF's and motor sports really now days with manual focus Canon lenses.

You don't really say what you take or what you need out of it. If AF is important, all are good from what I see. Do you only want native lenses, zooms, primes both, etc. What subjects would you take the most ??

Fuji I don't know anything about. APS-C 16 meg sensor is about all I know from them. ;)

All the best and it really does depend.

5. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

I never owned an Olympus camera, but do have a Panasonic GF3(and did own a G2), and own a Fuji X-E1. I also owned a Sony A57(fixed mirror slr, so it had an evf), but can't really speak for their mirrorless models, though they are using the same sensor. I sold the Sony to fund the X-E1 and the G2 was sold to fund the A57.
    While the on paper the A57 has it all, I just never could bond with it, nor was I too happy with how Sony processes their jpegs. Panasonic is no better, but I found the raws to be much easier to work with. On the other hand Fuji pretty much got their jpeg right, but then raw is a B to work with, because of the type of sensor they use on most of their X-series cameras. Performance wise nothing I have owned matched the A57 when it came to FPS or AF speed with a modern lens(older Minolta lenses vary based on when it was released). M4/3 in this respect also has an advantage over Fuji models, specially the older models like the X-E1. As for menu I am real fan of Panasonic's interface and the fact it comes with a touchscreen, which works solidly even on the older gen tech the G2 and GF3 are using. It was the interface that tilted me to get the G2 and later the GF3 over Olympus m4/3 models. My understanding is the newer E mount cameras are using the same interface as their DSLR/DSLT models(like the A57), and I found that interface to be much better than their NEX UI. While it's nice UI, I find the Fuji interface easier to use(but that also maybe do to the external controls). As for high ISO I have the older sensor m4/3 so its good until ISO1000 in most situations, after that it starts to get noisy. The newer m4/3 cameras from what I have seen good up to ISO3200. My Sony was good until ISO6400, but in jpeg Sony was a bit heavy handed with NR, but that's solve-able with RAW. My Fuji is similarly good until about ISO6400, but it's better at NR, and noise is a bit more film like.

That all said my favorite camera is the X-E1 as it's just an all around pleasure to use and have bonded real well with the camera.
  6. val

val Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2013
    I definitely enjoy using Fujifilm in situations where it shines. JPEGs are great so it's just nice to see what I want right there which also saves me time from post-processing. Lenses, design, shutter sound etc all bring joy!

Olympus IMHO is the most practical, it's easily the most reliable in a wide variety of situations. The AF, IBIS, ergonomics, lens choice/size all lends itself to being the equivalent of your trusty boots. The joy factor is a little bit less than Fujifilm but the reliability outweighs that. Comes down to preference because I know I could be happy with Olympus if I had to only have one camera.

I've used Sony FE more than the A6000/A5100 etc and I do like them but I connect with them the least. I've taken great shots with Sony and seen excellent shots but something is missing for me.