Olympus vs Panasonic overral Lens Quality

Antigen

Mu-43 Regular
Hi,

in a lot of review i read that Olympus lenses are considered superior to Panasonic Lenses in term of sharpness, color, contrast, anti reflecting coating.

What do you think based on your experience?

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
Not true at all, both make excellent lenses. The only thing to keep in mind when using across manufacturer is that some lenses correct for deficiencies optically, while others have information programmed into the cameras. If I recall correctly, Olympus is the one who does it optically, while Panasonic does it electronically in-camera.

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
I have lenses and bodies from both manufacturers. I can't say I've ever had an issue either way. Sure some lenses are better optically than others but it's a case-by-case thing.

More importantly though, there's more to a lens than optical quality. For me, as long as the IQ is good enough, other criteria win out.

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
If I recall correctly, Olympus is the one who does it optically, while Panasonic does it electronically in-camera.
Not true, digital correction is part of the m4/3 standard, and all native lenses have digital correction info built in.

It might be the case that for the high end lenses, Panasonic tend to favour more digital correction to get a more versatile focal length range or more compact lens, while Olympus prefer to keep digital correction minimal and let the lens be larger. It's definitely still there though.

djtaylor7

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
David
Also Panasonic have worked with Leica on a number of lenses, and those are often superior performance.
But agree that quality is only one factor. Size and focal length /aperture means that you can get a lens to suit the photography you want to do, with a camera body which you enjoy using.

Steph

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Stephane
Hi,

in a lot of review i read that Olympus lenses are considered superior to Panasonic Lenses in term of sharpness, color, contrast, anti reflecting coating.

Ok, my opinion :
I think it comes down to the fact that Zuiko has a great heritage plus the medical aspect of that society. Old OM zuiko lenses are still great even in today's standard. Same thing in the (old) 4/3 mount. I had the now legendary 150mm f/2 and it took Olympus years to produce a lens as sharp. I had the 75mm and the 150mm at the same time and the old lens was really better. For what it worth the 17mm f/1.2 has the resolution record @ lenstip...
About the Z.E.R.O coating, that thing is superb. There is a review of the 17mm where the reviewer praises that coating, he basically said that there absolutly no differences with or without the hood ( with exemples) : the contrast stay High and basically no flare or veiling. The " feathered" bokeh from olympus is often mocked but I've read a great article on that tech ( imaging ressources) and that inspire admiration. Notably the ED.D.S.A lens construction ( that limit the number of elements in a lens by combining two "corrections"). That's came directly from their microscope experience. That's why it's funny when people compare the pro primes with cheap FF 1.8 lenses lol.
ANother point is in my opinion if you have a panasonic body you can buy both but if you have a Olympus camera the fact that the aperture ring doesn,t work is crazy lol. That thing is a deal breaker for me. I can't pay that much and be limited in my usage. Finally i had bad/mitiged experience with lumix lenses with poor build quality (my 100-300mm), slow autofocus(20mm), strong aberations (friend's 25mm) but as it been stated it's more a case by case so let say I'm more in the Zuiko side now lol.

Steph

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Stephane
Also Panasonic have worked with Leica on a number of lenses, and those are often superior performance.
But agree that quality is only one factor. Size and focal length /aperture means that you can get a lens to suit the photography you want to do, with a camera body which you enjoy using.
IIRC it's more a "design approval" thing. Leica doesn't actually make the lenses for Panasonic.

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
Not true, digital correction is part of the m4/3 standard, and all native lenses have digital correction info built in.

It might be the case that for the high end lenses, Panasonic tend to favour more digital correction to get a more versatile focal length range or more compact lens, while Olympus prefer to keep digital correction minimal and let the lens be larger. It's definitely still there though.
This is what I was remembering, which I've heard from multiple sources, but an internet search yielded this particular result: http://www.analogsenses.com/2015/05/26/olympus-vs-panasonic-the-devil-you-know/

Panasonic automatically corrects CA in the software when using Panasonic lenses. I believe some Olympus lenses are corrected optically for CA's. This is a small detail in the larger picture of image quality, and it really boils down to what I said before: both make excellent lenses!

More than an Olympus vs Panasonic thing, I think it's more budget vs premium lenses; especially when the light isn't optimal. EG: Oly 45/1.2 vs PanaLeica 42.5/1.2: IMHO all the differences are down to nitpicking between the two. Whereas there's more difference between the Oly 40-150 2.8 pro and the budget lens.

archaeopteryx

Gambian sidling bush
Panasonic automatically corrects CA in the software when using Panasonic lenses. I believe some Olympus lenses are corrected optically for CAs.
Barring a small number of lenses intended to look like vintage lenses, I'm not aware of any current or recent lens designs which avoid optical correction of chromatic aberration. I'm also not aware of any recent bodies which do not perform digital correction of remaining aberrations in SOOCs. Among the tests I've looked at there's no clear pattern in lateral chromatic aberration levels between Panasonic and Olympus lenses as, in both cases, they're usually well corrected. Some exceptions do exist.

It's difficult to find specifics but substantial evidence indicates Olympus was slow to adopt chromatic aberration correction compared to Panasonic. From what I can tell, it appears Olympus may not have fully implemented correction prior to their TruePic VII processors (E-M1, E-M5 II, E-M10, E-M10 II). Early Olympus m43 bodies also did not apply the corrections indicated by Panasonic lenses, again apparently most likely those using the TruePic III+ through IV. Reports, such as the one linked above, with incomplete statements of correction behaviour sometimes result.

Lens tests which indicate corrected versus uncorrected lateral chromatic aberration seem to be uncommon but one lens where corrections are documented is the 12-40 f/2.8 PRO. For systems which embed corrections in raws (m43, Fuji X, Sony, and possibly others as I'm not up on this for L, R, and Z mounts) an option is to look in the EXIF for the parameters. Manufacturers are quiet about these details but one option is to convert to DNG and inspect the parameters to the WarpRectilinear opcode (Adobe 2019).

Julia

Mu-43 Veteran
I think both make great lenses. I have an OMD EM1.1 and use both Olympus PRO lenses (12-40) on it as well as PanaLeica (15mm prime, 8-18 wide zoom) and get fantastic image quality from both brands.

The only thing that ticks me off is what has already been mentioned – the aperture ring on the Pana lenses isn't being recognized by Olympus. Not sure which one of the manufacturers isn't playing nice here, but that's certainly an annoyance. On the upside, the MF/AF switch on the 8-18 *is* working with my Oly body, so yay for that.

But over all, I get tack sharp images from all of my lenses. I did have a dud a few years back – an Oly 17mm prime on a Pana body – but it turns out that this particular copy was just soft. It didn't give me much better image quality on an Oly body either.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I have lenses from both brands and are happy with them all, and like a lot of people wish all the lens options would work across brands. I think this would only help the system as a whole.

If using the longer focal length Panasonic lenses pairing them with a Panasonic body with dual IS seems to work very well, I presume the same for Olympus, but Oly do not have many lenses with IS and I have never tried one.

If getting Pro series lenses I prefer Olympus as they have a very good repair service (in Australia) and are weather proofed and work very nice.

Armand Di Meo

Mu-43 Regular
I only own one Panasonic lens, the 20mm f1.7 aspherical; all the rest are Olympus. Based on my limited experience, I would say they are equivalent in quality but different. The Olympus lenses appear to have to me a slightly cooler or more neutral color rendition, whereas the Panasonic is slightly warmer. The Olympus lenses are also a bit more contrasty. I have in several places seen the Panasonic look described as "painterly."

Last edited:
Hi,

What reviews are you reading (just out of curiosity)? The Panasonic lenses, especially the Panasonic Leica lenses, are just as sharp as Olympus. I actually tend to prefer the Panasonic lenses - they tend to have better contrast.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom