Olympus vs Panasonic live view exposure preview

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by ean10775, Jan 25, 2013.

1. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    As i've yet to handle a Panasonic camera (no local shops stock them) I was wondering about the differences between the live exposure preview between the G, GF, and GX cameras and the Olympus implementation I'm familiar with in which changes are accurately shown as you make them. My understanding is that the Panasonics don't operate in this fashion. Could someone explain to me the differences or point me to a resource that does? Thanks.

2. rnagoda

rnagoda Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Robert
    I've found the preview functions on my GH2 and GX1 to be accurate - no idea how they compare to Olympus' implementation since I've never so much as seen an Olympus m4/3 camera in person, but the Panny's preview functions are true to what you can expect to see after taking the shot.

3. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    Are they made in real time? - as in you apply exposure compensation and the preview gets appropriately darker/brighter, reflecting what the sensor will record? My understanding, for some reason, was that this is not the case.

4. Panasonic updates the live view in real time when you adjust the exposure compensation, but it is the baseline exposure which I found to be out by maybe up to (+/-)2/3 stop. I'm not totally sure if this is still the case with the very latest bodies.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    I found the Panasonic implementation inferior to the Olympus when it comes to exposure and WB. IMO, Olympus' live view is closer to "what you see is what you get" than Panny. The last Panny's I used extensively were the GH2 and GF2.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Panny is only WYSIWYG when you hit the display button and engage "shutter effect on". Otherwise, it is gained up for maximum view ability on the screen in bright sunlight