Olympus vs. Panasonic lenses?

Leo_B

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Leo
I know in the C/N world they say stick with the native lenses as they are more accurate etc. than third party lenses like TamSigTok lenses. Given that 4/3 is it's own standard is it safe to consider O/P lenses interchangeable between bodies or do you get better performance with same brand lenses?

TNcasual

Mu-43 Legend
mft lenses are interchangeable as per the mft standard.

Two things that are not in the standard - IS and weather sealing.

Dual IS is only brand specific. Lens and body dual IS capability requires lens and body of the same manufacturer.

Weather sealing is another thing. Each manufacturer will not guarantee sealing with another manufacturers body/lens. That does not mean that there is not protection. Companies will just not guarantee it. There has not been any actual testing by an independent entity, as I have seen.

kingduct

Mu-43 Veteran
Optically, they'll typically have similar performance with some slight exceptions.* However, autofocus can be slightly faster with same-brand lenses and dual-stabilization is only an option with same-brand lenses (this only applies to lenses that have their own stabilization, which are primarily Panasonic lenses).

In most cases, I'd choose the lens I preferred for non-brand reasons (size, focal length, optics, etc.), rather than brand name.

* The Panasonic 20/1.7 is known for having some banding problems with Olympus 16mp cameras at high ISO.

Leo_B

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Leo
I've been looking at some used lenses and my local dealer has a P20f1.7 exc. for about $40 less than the O17f1.8. I'm leaning toward the 17f1.8 but wanted to check this before making any decision. Thanks for the help from you both and also the information on the P20 that has to be factored in.

kingduct

Mu-43 Veteran
I've been looking at some used lenses and my local dealer has a P20f1.7 exc. for about $40 less than the O17f1.8. I'm leaning toward the 17f1.8 but wanted to check this before making any decision. Thanks for the help from you both and also the information on the P20 that has to be factored in.
Both lenses are highly regarded -- they've got slightly different focal lengths and I've heard on this forum that the Panasonic is slightly sharper (I've never used the Olympus, so I can't say myself).

Personally, the P20/1.7 is my favorite lens on my Panasonic GX85. And yet, some people have reported banding issues on Olympus bodies using the 16mp sensor -- search this forum or google and I'm sure you'll find conversations about that. Also, autofocus on Olympus bodies is slower than on Panasonics. If you plan to shoot video, the P20 is not ideal due to focus speed, regardless of camera body.

I'm not sure which body you have, but I'd recommend you test the lens on your camera before buying.

Leo_B

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Leo
I've got the M10-II, or will have when it arrives the end of the week, so I think I'm not a good candidate for the P20 lens.

Real Name
Todd Cleaver
I absolutely love the Olympus 17 1.8. I use it on the Panasonic G80 and GX85. I have never owned the Panasonic 20 but I did have the PL 15 and sold it keeping the O 17.

In the past I tended to stay with Panasonic lenses, and on longer focal lengths I still would, in order to take advantage of the dual IS. However I now have Olympus 9-18, 17 and 45 and I am quite happy with the performance on my Panasonic cameras.

Drdave944

Mu-43 All-Pro
I have many of both types and have wonderful results with both. I don't take many pictures in dust or rain storms,so don't worry too much about sealing. In everyday conditions I really can't tell the difference whether you use dual IS for any particular lens and can't justify purchasing camera specific lenses for Panny or Oly lenses. I use mostly high end ,fast lenses. One killer combo is Panny G-9 with Oly 300mm f-4 on FCC ,which is like C-AF on Oly.

Latest threads

Top Bottom