Olympus vs Panasonic jpeg color quality

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by m43dude, Oct 3, 2012.

1. m43dude

m43dude New to Mu-43

Oct 3, 2012
    I used to have a LX3 which I liked except the jpeg colors which I could never get right. I'm wondering if the recent Panasonics, for example G5, has a better jpeg engine and if it compares to the Olympus especially color?
  2. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

LX3 and G3 are poles apart. U can tweak setttings in ur Panny MFT cameras to get Oly like OOC JPEGS .Having said that , there is no match to OLy WB in digital world IMHO .
  3. abry

abry New to Mu-43

Oct 3, 2012
    I'm new here but I too would like very much to hear from G5 users in particular to what extent the Panasonic jpegs have improved in terms of colour from the G1. Like the OP I could never get the colours right on G1 jpegs (so much so that I use it mainly as a b/w camera). Even in Raw (which I prefer not to use), it's hard (for me anyway) to get good skin tones right. Thanks in advance.
  4. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    "Improved" "better" "worse" are not really words that can be used in this discussion.

For every person who says the Oly colors are "better" there is one who says they are overcooked and unrealistic. Panasonic colors tend to be, IMHO, more accurate, but lean to the cool side, which does not elicit the same emotional response as the Olympus colors (which is good, because Olympus has spent a TON of money researching exactly that - emotional response to color - and good thing it wasn't wasted)
    • Like Like x 3
  5. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    This is a straight out of camera (OK - it is cropped) JPEG on standard settings with a G5

I'm pretty happy....
    • Like Like x 1