1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus vs Panasonic AF-C

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by FernandoBatista, Nov 7, 2012.

1. FernandoBatista

FernandoBatista Mu-43 Regular

Sep 3, 2012
    Portugal
    I’ve read DonParrot posts about the OM-D’s AF-C at DPreview, and he says that to have the best of the camera continuous focus capacities it should be used with Olympus lenses.

What about with Panasonic bodies? Would it be behave better with Panasonic or Olympus lenses? Anyone had experience with the different combinations?

2. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    IMHO, you're better off with AF-S, than dealing with the lockup associated with AF-C.

3. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I think it's not quite as simple as Oly lens on Oly bodies. When the OM-D was introduced, the 12-50 lens was the only one available at the time with upgraded firmware (and maybe hardware) that could fully take advantage of the faster speed of the OM-D. I would assume all the newer Oly lenses also can, but older lenses don't really offer any advantage.

Similarly, the 12-35 (especially with the firmware update recently announced), and the 35-100 are the only Panasonic lenses that can fully take advantage of the focus speed of the GH3.

But neither means that the OM-D and GH3 aren't faster than older bodies with any lens. And I suspect the same improvements that make the newer Oly and Panasonic lenses work better on their same branded bodies will enable them to focus faster on the newer compatible bodies from the other brand. My 12-35 focuses lightning quick on my OM-D.

4. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    does anybody know what does panny's AFF do and how is it different from AF-C and tracking AF?

5. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011

Sounds kind of like AI-Servo on Canon cameras, if you're familiar with that.

6. FernandoBatista

Sep 3, 2012
    Portugal
    In my G5 that's what I use. But If you look at DonParrot's racing dog photos you'd probably start thinking otherwise, it seems to be working very well for him.

7. FernandoBatista

Sep 3, 2012
    Portugal
    DonParrot is specifically talking of the 75-300 vs 100-300, witch is also the lenses that interest me the most being a bird photographer.
    Of course seeing his photos I wandered if I could get any advantage using the olympus version on my G5.

But, it makes sense, there where probably firmware updates for other lenses like the 75-300 to make it take advantage of the OMD's faster AF readout, something the 100-300 does not have.
    If that's the case it would be useless on the G5 anyway.

8. FernandoBatista

Sep 3, 2012
    Portugal
    AFF is a mix between AF-S and AF-C, it works as AF-S but if the subject moves it turns to AF-C by itself. Exactly like AF-A on Nikon.
    Honnestly, I never seen the point to this mode on Nikon and don't really see it on Panasonic. JMHO.

• Like Like x 1
  9. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Except that Panasonic introduced the high speed readout long ago on the GH2, so if either company was optimizing lenses for this, it would be Panasonic.

They released a FW update for the 45-200 which increased the AFC (and IS) performance to "upgrade" it to an "HD" (equivalent to Olympus MSC) lens.

Certainly newer lenses should perform better than older ones - this is true regardless of format.

10. FernandoBatista

Sep 3, 2012
    Portugal
    From what I've been reading, panasonic may have introduced a faster AF readout of 120 fps with the GH2, but it was passed with the OM-D that does 240 fps, if reviews are correct.

Panasonic only caugh up with it now with the GH3, so I would assume no panasonic lenses except the 35-100 (and probably the 12-35) are able to keep up with this new speed.

I hope the older lenses can be updated for this new faster readout.