Olympus vs JJC lens hoods

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
The JJC is not a perfect fit on the 40-150 Pro. It takes a bit of fiddling to install it, but once on, it stays on and works OK. I've put away the OEM hood for later or if I sell the lens. In the meantime, I'm not worried if I break or lose the JJC hood because it was so cheap.
You were right, it is a bit fiddly.
The bayonet flange on the hood is just a tiny bit long. I think if I shorten it about a mm, it will slip in easier.

For how I use the lens, a simple inexpensive hood is better.
One less thing for me to worry about.

Now if I could find a similar inexpensive hood for my Nikon 70-200/4.

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
You were right, it is a bit fiddly.
The bayonet flange on the hood is just a tiny bit long. I think if I shorten it about a mm, it will slip in easier.

For how I use the lens, a simple inexpensive hood is better.
One less thing for me to worry about.

Now if I could find a similar inexpensive hood for my Nikon 70-200/4.
Maybe if you search in a Nikon forum, someone might have a suggestion. I found out about the JJC hood for the Canon that fits the 40-150 here. :)

Did anybody compared the JJC hood to the Olympus one for the 60 macro?
The price ratio is approximately 1:2... so if there is a step in quality I'll probably take the Oly.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
The price ratio is approximately 1:2... so if there is a step in quality I'll probably take the Oly.
I have the JJC hood for the 60mm macro and it is ok, dont have the Oly one so cant compare.
But from 2hat I have seen from the Oly hods that came with my pro lenses i would not buy the Oly ones, as they are made to break

For a basic hood I agree, for the 60 mm which is sliding on the lens, a difference in quality could matter.
I've seen a review on amazon.com comparing the 2 which says that the Olympus sliding mechanism is much better.
It's only one review though...

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
For a basic hood I agree, for the 60 mm which is sliding on the lens, a difference in quality could matter.
I've seen a review on amazon.com comparing the 2 which says that the Olympus sliding mechanism is much better.
While I agree that the Oly ones generally work and feel better, the problem is they often do not last very long. So not sure if I would ever buy one if there was an alternative.

Real Name
Richard
I have had 2 JJC hoods for the 60mm macro. Both were very stiff and required regular use of a pencil in the 6 grooves inside the hood to allow them to slide in and out easily.

The first one fell off, and the second one broke. I bit the bullet and paid the small fortune for the genuine Olympus hood.

The Olympus hood does not need special maintenance - it just works smoothly.

I should have bought the Olympus one in the first place. It's much better made.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Have you got any problems with Olympus hoods?
The one I have seems fine.
My 40-150 nearly came apart, same as for another poster a page or so ago. Soon after joining this forum I saw all the problems other people had with the 12-40 before I purchased mine so never used it.

But from what I have seen these two lenses seem to have flimsy hoods. I looked at a 12-100 pro today and the hood looked a lot stronger. I am thinking about this lens. But if I end up getting one I wont use the original hood either. I am over cautious.

I tend to be gravitating to the rubber hoods I used to use in the film days, but they seem to give dark corners at 12mm.

JensM

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
As screename
Cant do a comparison, but I have horsed around with two 60mms with the JJC hood and both of them has been working well and good.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I have had 2 JJC hoods for the 60mm macro. Both were very stiff and required regular use of a pencil in the 6 grooves inside the hood to allow them to slide in and out easily.

The first one fell off, and the second one broke. I bit the bullet and paid the small fortune for the genuine Olympus hood.

The Olympus hood does not need special maintenance - it just works smoothly.

I should have bought the Olympus one in the first place. It's much better made.
To me having to use a pencil to put graphite into the groves means it is too tight.
I would shave the grove, to increase the spacing.
I had to do this to several JJC hoods, to make them usable on the lenses.

I guess we get what we don't pay for.
Be it bad design or shrinking plastic after coming out from the mold.

To me a hood is a consumable/disposable, item.
If the lens hits a wall/table, the hood takes most of the impact and breaks, rather than the lens.
So, I don't want to pay a lot, since I expect that I will have to replace the hood.

In the case of the school, the kids manage to lose the hoods and lens caps, on a regular basis, so they have to be replaced each year.
So cheaper is better.
I just have to spend time fitting and fixing the hoods.

jrsilva

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Jaime Silva
I have the JJC hood for the Oly 60mm.
Plastic quality and finish is very good.
But I noticed that it does not slide very well when one want to retract the hood onto the lens. That does not bother me much.
I've never tried the Olympus genuine one.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom