Olympus vs JJC lens hoods

B0baFett

Mu-43 Rookie
Looking at the hood for the 12-50mm. Is it the "you get what you pay for" saying with the JJC? The olympus one is $38 on amazon and the JJC is $12. Reviews seem ok.... looking for actual user input on these. Thanks

cdmicha

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Chris
I got the JJC hood for my 75mm, and it's worked just fine. Olympus is very proud of their lens hoods, and sadly, many of their lenses don't (ar at least didn't) come with them.

D

Deleted member 20897

Every single after market hood I've ever bought has been JJC. Metal and plastic hoods have always been great. Fit as they should and have been very durable. Got them for O40-150/4-5.6, O17/1.8, Nikon 28-85/3.4-4.5 just to name a few.

slmoore

Mu-43 Regular
I used the JJC lens hood LH-J55C on the 12-50 and it worked great and reversed as well. There is also the squared lens hood LH-J55B that I considered but thought it was too short to do much and seemed like it would be a little bigger/bulkier when in the bag.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I have both experiences.
  • 12-40 hood fits fine.
  • 40-150R hood, snug fit, have to be careful when removing it.
  • Canon 18-135 hood (2 of them), did NOT fit, had to shave the hood so that it could be turned and locked on.

barry13

Mu-43.com Editor
Real Name
Barry
O14-42: tight but otherwise worked fine (since sold)
O17/1.8: fine. metal w/ screw clamp, same as OEM design.
O45/1.8: fine (plastic). a tiny bit loose perhaps.
O40-150R: using the Oly hood as I had found it for a reasonable price and iirc the JJC wasn't available at the time

rich.smith

Mu-43 Regular
I have the JJC hood for the 12-40. It works so well that I forgot I replaced the original that broke.

Linh

Mu-43 All-Pro
I got the JJC hood for my 75mm, and it's worked just fine. Olympus is very proud of their lens hoods, and sadly, many of their lenses don't (ar at least didn't) come with them.
dang it, I've bought 2 JJC hoods for my 75 and neither fit (and some other brand, too). They were extremely tight and I wasn't going to force it. I feel like I have some early model 75mm that is an anomaly.
I had another JJC hood for my 12mm that was perfect (ok, ever so slightly off on the silver tone, but close enough for the savings)

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
dang it, I've bought 2 JJC hoods for my 75 and neither fit (and some other brand, too). They were extremely tight and I wasn't going to force it. I feel like I have some early model 75mm that is an anomaly.
I had another JJC hood for my 12mm that was perfect (ok, ever so slightly off on the silver tone, but close enough for the savings)
The other brands were probably made in the JJC plant, from the same mold.
Either the plastic shrank after being removed from the mold, or JJC got the specs wrong and made it small.
You may have to shave it, as I had to for the 18-135 hoods. The trick is to figure out WHERE it is tight.

Linh

Mu-43 All-Pro
The other brands were probably made in the JJC plant, from the same mold.
Either the plastic shrank after being removed from the mold, or JJC got the specs wrong and made it small.
You may have to shave it, as I had to for the 18-135 hoods. The trick is to figure out WHERE it is tight.
But I bought these at 3 different times, years apart, heh.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom