1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus Viewer

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Rodchenko, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Rodchenko

Rodchenko Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2013
    Exiled From Hyperborea
    I'm just starting to dip my toe in the water of RAW photography. I don't have a budget for any proprietary software, but I've got Olympus Viewer and have started working on my images. It seems a bit slow, but that may just be my crappy old PC.

Any views or tips on how I can get the best out of the Viewer package?

2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It is a slow piece of software (I've got an I5). Good results though. They made some improvements between version 2 and 3 (my E-M5 came with 2 but you can download 3 from Olympus). You can install both and see which you prefer -.not all the changes were improvements in my opinion.

In basic edit view you are forced to develop the raws one file at a time. If you go into raw edit view rather than the basic edit view, you can make raw changes on multiple files separately and then develop all the selected files in one go. It will take a while but you can go away and do something else.

3. Rodchenko

Rodchenko Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2013
    Exiled From Hyperborea
    Thanks, that's reassuring.

I should have said it's version 3 I have.

As an aside, the manual mentions ib and Master, but I see no trace of these on the Olympus website.

4. wjiang

I believe Olympus Viewer is the replacement for both, so I doubt those applications would have up to date support to open the raws of the latest Olympus cameras. As far as I could tell ib wasn't much use anyway (it was mostly for photo sharing).

5. wjiang

What does writing an image viewer of standard image formats using .NET libraries have to do with Olympus Viewer, which deals with proprietary ORF raws?