1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Olympus Viewer and Olympus High Res Images

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by T N Args, May 19, 2015.

1. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Am I wrong, or is OV3 unable to handle the high res raw files from my E-M5 II? If it cant, which seems like a massive oversight, have Olympus announced that they are doing anything about it?

2. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    Correct. OV3 doesn't handle the hi-res. Haven't heard of any updates either. You would figure that they would've updated the software to coincide with the E-M5 II release.

3. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Thanks for confirming. Can you believe that they release a camera that produces an image file that their software cannot process? And they don't announce any plan to resolve that situation?

4. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    I can't believe a serious percentage of Oympus OM-D owners are using Viewer. Perhaps that is the same perception at Olympus; hence, no Viewer update.

5. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    I can't believe a serious percentage of photographers are using Olympus cameras. Maybe they shouldn't make any. ?

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    I just downloaded OV3 v2.0.1 because I understood it now handles High Res Shot mode photos. But mine won't open them, all I get is a message.
    screenshot.

Am I right?

7. nzdigital

nzdigital Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2010
    New Zealand
    Wayne
    Hi Arg

I'm a new convert to Olympus Viewer 3 - but in the release notes for the 2.0.1 update it specifically mentions support for the hi-res shot mode.

Will try it out on the weekend and let you know how I get on.....

8. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    That's remarkable. I mean there is nothing special at all about a high Res RAW file. It is just a 64MP Bayer array instead of 16MP. LR/ACR supported it immediately as well as dcraw from day zero.

Now I wish it was special and stored the eight exposures directly so more advanced super resolution processing could be done in post. But they specifically didn't do that for better third party RAW support. How could OV not do something so simple?

9. nzdigital

nzdigital Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2010
    New Zealand
    Wayne
    Have to say I do find the message Arg is getting to be astoundingly ironic!

"Olympus Viewer 3 cannot open files in the Olympus raw image format"!

That's hilarious!!!!! :rofl:

10. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    That's why I downloaded it in the first place.

Tell me about it.

11. nzdigital

nzdigital Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2010
    New Zealand
    Wayne
    Hi Arg

Took a hi-res mode raw shot this weekend and Olympus Viewer 3 (2.0.1) opened it up no problem.

Don't know why it's not working for you? I'm seeing, opening, and making edits to the .ORF 9216 x 6912px 99.58MB raw file.

Maybe you need a clean re-install of the latest version?

If that doesn't help, there's also a free plug-in from Olympus that supports the hi-res raws in photoshop here: Software Download | Olympus High Res Shot Raw File Photoshop Plug-in | OLYMPUS

Hope you can get it going?

12. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Thanks Wayne. I will give it another go. Obviously you can make it work, so it can do it.

I don't have PS, but don't need the plugin anyway because I have been using LR to read the high-res image files, that's okay. What I set out to do on June 28 2016 above, was compare OV3 high-res with LR high-res, only to fail to get OV3 (downloaded from Olympus that same day) to open it.

I will try a clean re-install, that is probably it.

13. nzdigital

nzdigital Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2010
    New Zealand
    Wayne
    Cheers Arg

Let us know how u get on.....

Sent from my Samsung S3 via the mu-43 app

14. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Bingo! All good now. Now to compare with LR high res. Thanks for your help Wayne. Hope the winter's not too bad across the ditch.

15. nzdigital

nzdigital Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2010
    New Zealand
    Wayne
    Hi Arg

Great! Glad it eventually worked for you.

Winter has been pretty wet and wild here this year. The West Coast is wet at the best of times, but this winter had been worse than usual [emoji22]

I was impressed with the files from OV3 compared to LR. I much prefer the OV3 conversions so it will be interesting to see if you come up with the same conclusions?

Sent from my Samsung S3 via the mu-43 app