1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Olympus Viewer 3

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by OzRay, Sep 21, 2014.

1. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    For years I've avoided using Olympus Viewer as a RAW editor because it's very slow and doesn't quite have the finesse of LR. However, I've ben trying it out the last couple of days because I got a request out of the blue for some corporate photos I shot and the company wants large files, rather than the smaller JPGs that they've seen. I don't mind the results that I've gotten out of LR, but when I worked on one of the files in Viewer, the results were much, much better. I also tried some up-rezzing, going from a long side measurement of 4500px to 6000px and Viewer beat LR hands down; it even did a better job than Perfect Resize. So I then up-rezzed as high at Viewer would allow (8000px) and once again the results were excellent.

I still wouldn't use Viewer as my default RAW editor because it is much slower, but if I need to produce more critical files, then I have to say that it will be my go to converter in the first instance. If Olympus could improve on the speed and the user interface to bring it into line with the more established RAW converters, there'd be no need whatsoever for LR, Capture One or others.

• Like Like x 8
  2. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    I'm hoping the next update at least includes the selective color Art Filter for the E-PL7.

I wonder if they're working on a major OV3 update that will include new Video features (like High Speed / Slow Motion), and that's perhaps why the E-M1 Firmware update didn't include them yet. Maybe they're waiting to release it all at one time?

3. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I use OV3 most of the time, but Capture One (Pro7) when I want more out of it. I have also used the upsizing (in OV3) too.

4. GBarrington

GBarrington Mu-43 Veteran

After reading these posts, I went back and tried to re-evaluate it. I just don't see what you guys are praising. As near as I can see, the quality is in the middle of the pack, maybe a bit better than average, but not more than a bit. In my eyes, CaptureOne, ACDSee Pro, and Lightroom (the three I'm most familiar with) can all equal or beat OV3 in terms of producing a quality image.

The controls are still difficult to use (What I call 'jumpy') and I found it difficult to adjust with any degree of subtlety. And the incredibly slow update speed doesn't help with that sort of fine tuning. TBH, I think even Silkypix has a better user interface.

I would never try to talk someone out of using a tool they like, and know how to make it give them the results they want. That is too personal a path, and for a free tool, it offers some value, I guess. But I just don't see how it could be considered something that could be compared to the better raw development/workflow tools.

5. Ross the fiddler

Downsizing in OV3 for web display also requires your own level of sharpening. I usually use +5 (in the JPEG edit screen) with sufficiently nice results, but, as I said above, CO7 allows me more editing for serious output.

6. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Until you've used Sigma Photo Pro 6 (for the DP series of cameras), you don't know what slow is!

• Like Like x 1
  7. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I understand what you're saying, but I was completely surprised by the results I got with Viewer, compared to LR. LR allows you to up-rez also, but the quality was no where near as good as with Viewer. I'm going to do some more work and see if there is anything I missed with LR.

8. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    My workflow is batch exporting in 16bit tiffs with EXIF and then importing into LR. It is slow but the results are worth the few cups of coffee.

• Like Like x 1
  9. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    This is what I found too. OV3 is effectively the same as the JPEG engine in the E-M1 and that is why I often shoot JPEG only at events where there will be a lot of frames.

I'd love to see some presets with LR or another tool that does as well.

10. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    I too recently gave OV3 another look, but as a Mac user the experience is IMPOSSIBLE. Make any change with a slider, wait 5 seconds, see the effect. This is beyond excruciating. :mad:

I DO like the color, clarity and lack of noise compared to Aperture. If there were some way to batch adjust/optimize the RAW files and output to jpeg, that would be nice!

11. Brian Beezley

Brian Beezley Mu-43 All-Pro

The latest version has batch processing.

Brian

12. Dave Jenkins

Dave Jenkins Mu-43 Veteran

I have Olympus Viewer 3 and Capture One 7. I've never used Lightroom. For those who have used all three, which do you prefer, and why? I would also like to hear from anyone who has used the DxO raw converter.

• Like Like x 1
  13. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

OV3 beats LR (ACR) hard in the low signal with retained detail regime. Several threads here with details.

Too painful to use OV3 (for me) except in those cases low signal is critical then I always use OV3 to export 16 bit tiff then import into LR.

If I only want jpg then OOC is for me.

14. YantaYo

YantaYo Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    Colorado
    I have all 4, including Aperture but just the trial for Capture One 8. In March I migrated to Lightroom from Aperture. Currently I am considering Capture One. Capture One 8 out of the box raw file conversion just cannot be beat by Lightroom. I cannot get my pictures as nice as Capture One processes in Lightroom. Olympus is just too cumbersome. I might use it if I just cannot get the picture right in any of the other software. DXO I picked up when it was on sale. I prefer its raw interpretation the best but without a DAM it is not a complete option. I am leaning towards Capture One. Converted my 21K library to test out C1 8. Capture Ones minus are it's DAM and lack of plugins. Additionally, there are few resources on using the software besides the Capture One tutorials. But you cannot beat it's image quality- just that might win me over.

15. GBarrington

GBarrington Mu-43 Veteran

OF the 3, CaptureOne.

16. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    They just posted an update of OV3 to version 1.4.

It's adds Keystone Correct and the Capture software interface support, but strangely does not include the new Art Filters even though those were available in the WiFi App update a few weeks ago.

17. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    The update web site says:

"- Added new Art Filter and Effect options in "RAW Development" and "Image Edit" windows."

but I can't see them...

Perhaps there will be a version 1.41 out in a few days.

18. Ross the fiddler

Vintage & Partial Colour (Color) are added to the list now when I open an E-M1 RAW file, as well as the Keystone adjustment for (all) the JPEGs.

In OV3, only the Art Filters for that camera with them are shown in the 'Art Filter' option of RAW Edit. In the case of the E-M1, new Art Filters can be applied to old RAW files from the E-M1 as well & that would apply to any other camera that had new Art Filters added by a firmware update.

19. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I used to use OV3 before I migrated to the latest Adobe Camera RAW / Photoshop CS. It was easier to get nice results from OV3 to start out with (nice Olympus RAW to JPEG engine after all) but the workflow for all RAW shooting was just too clunky and slow. I eventually got the hang of tuning in ACR and never really looked back. ACR lets more baseline noise through (unless you turn on noise reduction) but I prefer the way the grain looks from ACR.

20. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    Odd since they don't place that same limitation on the OI Share App. I guess I'll have to hope for a Firmware update then.