1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus Viewer 3

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Growltiger, Aug 31, 2014.

1. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    I just found that installing Olympus Viewer 3 had added a folder at the root of my C: drive., which seems very careless of it?
    C:\OLYMPUS\OLYMPUS_VIEWER3\MAP
    Anyone else see this?
    Presumably I have to live with it there - it should of course live under Program Files (x86) with the rest of the program.

2. RichardB

RichardB Snapshooter

Nov 19, 2012
    Maryland, US
    Richard
    I have that folder, too. I'd be interested to hear any explanation you can get from Olympus.

3. Growltiger

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    Thanks for confirming it. It is a bug. Perhaps they will notice and fix it one day.

4. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I don't use 'albums' but that is possibly where an album would be stored.

Not everything you don't understand is 'a bug' to be fixed.

5. Growltiger

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    It IS a bug. I will explain it. Windows programs are expected to follow certain standards (what I write here has been true for a long time - ever since Vista was launched):
    - Unchanging data and program code is stored under Program Files where it is protected.
    - User configurations and data are stored under Appdata by default. If you look in the advanced setting you will see they correctly default that location to:
    C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\OLYMPUS

What programs should NOT do is decide to write folders and data in the root of the C: drive.

The data they have written there in the MAP folder is static images which I suspect should have been put under Program Files. If it was for Albums they would belong in the data folder. But whetever the additional purpose might be, if any, it should NOT be simply stuck in the root of the C: drive! Any trainee Windows programmer knows this. The problem here is lack of proper testing. Camera manufacturers are not good at testing software - Nikon is a prime example.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    Do you have any recommendations? Would you move the file, delete the file or leave it where it is?

7. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I have a number of reputable programs that store part of the program directly under C:/, Brother printer software, Garmin software, Colorvision software, Intel software etc. There's nothing unusual about that at all.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Growltiger

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    Correct only in that there is nothing unusual in programs being written by sloppy developers that fail to follow standards. But you will see that the great majority of programs and drivers are installed in the standard locations nowadays.

In the case of the Olympus software they almost got it right, but just missed that one folder. That is a bug - an error in the development process that was not picked up by adequate testing.

Let us hope that Microsoft continue to tighten up enforcement of the rules so that sloppy work like this is brought to the notice of the companies that do it. Software executed from the root of the C: drive is more vulnerable to attack by malware.

9. Growltiger

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    Leave it alone. Otherwise you will prevent some part of the program from working properly.

10. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    It's not a bug. A bug is something that causes functional issues with the program or other programs, or the OS, that is not the case with Viewer or any of the programs that reside in that location. Have you actually looked at the J@vaScript that's contained in the folder (all the rest are basically images)? It actually looks like Google Maps code and may well have nothing to do with Olympus. Google is notorious for hiding crap in your system, if you install the likes of Google Earth, for example, which I did once and then removed. Maybe I didn't remove everything.

How come J@va gets the **** treatment?

And this is exactly what it is: http://google-maps-utility-library-...trunk/markerclustererplus/docs/reference.html and this is the code: http://code.google.com/p/google-map...kerclustererplus/src/markerclusterer.js?r=394.

• Like Like x 1
  11. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Not to mention when you don't even have a C: drive... and your OS is on D:...

12. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    That was a way of tricking a lot of malware in the past, but it doesn't work nowadays. It can actually complicate things with genuine software. I gave up that methodology years ago.

13. Growltiger

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    So your theory is that Google installed a folder called C:\OLYMPUS\OLYMPUS_VIEWER3\MAP !

We are not going to agree. In fact we don't even agree on what a bug is. With 40 years of IT experience you think I still don't know what a bug is.

I suggest we leave it here. If you want a final word go ahead, I won't be replying.

14. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

No, we definitely can't blame google for that one! I wish I could get my DVD & (new) external blu ray drives to be recognised & work though (in Win8).

15. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    So if they stored stuff in your master boot record, you'd be ok with that too? As stated before, It's sloppy programming that can have broad impacts.

16. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    You shouldn't try and put words in my mouth. I'm not saying that Google did install the code (though it is a pretty insidious code installer), but the code is all to do with Google Maps and is a very specific set of coding. It may well be that this needs to reside where it does as part of a Google requirement for geo-coordinates to work. I used to work with FORTRAN as well, 40 years ago.:eek:

And a quick one of software bugs: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_bug.

When the Year 2000 problem arose, on which I spent three years identifying potential issues on major systems infrastructure et al, the time/date stamp coding issue that could have reset all computer dates; could have been called a bug, even though it was a deliberate coding decision.

17. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    Read my reply to the IT veteran.

18. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I'm personally not wild about programs putting data in multiple locations, regardless of standards. If I want to see what files or data is associated with a program, static or not, user or not, I'd like to go to one place to find them. Instead, we've got things under program files, user data, and system folders. Then that program installs profiles or user data under a varying number of users or accounts. Then the uninstaller that came with the program forgets to clean those files up, requiring manual cleanup.

19. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    Just to add, once I realised that this was associated with Google crap, I just deleted the entire folder. It's made no difference as to Viewer and I'm not interested in geo-tagging anyway, certainly not when it comes to allowing Google to access anything on my PC.

20. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    As a further note, I think this folder may well be Google initiated crap. After deleting the folder, when I now open Google maps, it no longer hones in on the broad region in which I live. It picks a completely irrelevant area, though still within Australia.