Olympus Viewer 3?

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by OMD4ME, Jul 5, 2013.

1. OMD4ME

OMD4ME Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 27, 2013
    Anyone have any experience using this free software? I've been try to figure out if you can merge photos and mess a little with transparency to no avail.

I've been trying to find resources that could help me me dig into this piece of software but again have come up short.

I guess I like that it's free. The problem is that i can't seem to do some of the basics and am trying to figure out if I should look into some of the paid options in stead.

Sent using Mu-43 mobile app FTE!
  2. OMD4ME

OMD4ME Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 27, 2013
    No one has any experience with ov3? Surprising...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Mu-43 mobile app
  3. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I (and many others on the forum) use OV3. I primarily use it for exporting 16bit tiff's (to get the Olympus colours) which is then load in Lightroom for cropping, sharpening etc.

If you don't need 16bit image editing, look at Gimp for your image merging. Its free, very powerful and works on a host of os's.
  4. Mat - MirrorLessons

Mat - MirrorLessons Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 10, 2013
    I am using it these days as Lightroom need an upgrade to read the EP5 orf files.
    It is a very slow software.
  5. CiaranCReilly

CiaranCReilly Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 18, 2012
    Ciaran Reilly
    I've found the Help file very useful and readable, might be worth studying, with a quick "Google" for any specific issues the Help doesn't cover in enough detail.

For more "involved" editing, where you want to change the content of an image or build up complex effects using layers etc., I'd second Gimp as a good free Photoshop alternative, or Seashore on Mac.
  6. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    The real crime with this software, is that it doesn't export exif metadata upon processing 16 bit raw files. It's a crime because no other software renders the natural Olympus colours like this software does, so there's no comparable aleternative, even Lightroom 5. This is going to be a deal breaker when considering my next camera purchase I mean c'mon, metadata is essential in this day and age (in my case lens info) and I really can't get much pleasure getting the same metadata using this software as I would from a scanned photograph taken in 1984.
  7. klee

klee Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2013
    Houston, TX
    I use it quite a lot. tone curves are good.

the sharpening and noise reduction tools aren't my favorites, pretty basic

and the panorama stitching only works for photos taken in panorama mode on the camera.

panorama shooting in the EM5 was too limited for me, but the OV3 stitching was user friendly.

up until now I've been using OV3 for native lens distortion correction and olympus color profiles because I assumed olympus would be the best source of these types of corrections. I learned from the post on the front page that Camera One and DxO actually do a MUCH Better job at distortion correction without sacrificing details than either OV3 or LR5

With the new LR5.3 color profiles and my recent purchase of DxO Standard, I probably won't be using OV3 much anymore.

But when it was the only free software in town, it did a great job for me. I was very pleased.

Surprisingly Corel AfterShot, which I got for free also, is still my favorite for color curve manipulation. but not much else. DxO might change that, once it arrives.
  8. tarbault

tarbault New to Mu-43

Jul 7, 2014
    Are you certain ?

You sure about this ?
    There are two tif options for export: tif and exif tif. The second one (obviously) does export exifs.
    I'm positive about this as I use this in my workflow: producing 16bit tif then import them in Lightroom where I get all exif data, including GPS.
    Best regards.
  9. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 20, 2012
    Blue Mountains, NSW, Australia
    Last I checked it didn't save the exif in 16 bit.

I mostly use OV3 & have been since it was introduced & used OV2 before that, but for more complex editing I use Capture One Pro 7 (previously Express 7).
  10. akkers

akkers Mu-43 Regular

May 25, 2012
    The OV3 update about 2-3 months ago added exporting as TIFF with exif info.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43
    • Like Like x 1
  11. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    You're absolutely right, it does now export exif metadata. This only came with the most recent update - was obviously causing me a bit of grief that it originally didn't and I was happy when this feature was eventually added. Ironically, I find myself now using LR5 and the NIK software suite quite a lot, particularly for B&W images.
  12. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 20, 2012
    Blue Mountains, NSW, Australia
    Thanks, with that subtle added 'ticked' option beneath the selection box to add the TIFF.
  13. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

GIMP supports 16 and 32 bit per color channel since Oct 2013.

OV3 still preserves shadow detail better than all others in converting raw. I don't use OV3 for much besides raw conversion and export of tiff.
    • Like Like x 1