Olympus Viewer 3 Resizing

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Brian Beezley, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Brian Beezley

Brian Beezley Mu-43 All-Pro

I use Olympus Viewer 3 to process RAW files because I like the color it yields. When I'm done adjusting things, I export a 16-bit TIFF, normally resizing to 1024 x 768 pixels. Then I process the TIFF with Image Analyzer, mainly to use one of its advanced sharpening methods. Yesterday I forgot to resize an image in OV3 so I did it in IA. Later I redid the OV3 processing and resized as usual. When I happened to compare the two images, I was surprised to see a difference. This morning I tried resizing with several of the methods available in IA. All looked identical to me (except for bicublic spline, which added an unnatural crispness). When I compared an IA-resized TIFF with one resized by OV3, there was a noticeable difference in brightness in parts of the image. Upon closer inspection, this was due to a difference in sharpness, with the less-sharp OV3 dimming highlight detail. I used no sharpening other than that provided by the minimum setting of -2 in OV3, which applies a very small amount. Based on this test, I'm going to abandon resizing in OV3 and do it in other programs.

I am unable to load 16-bit TIFFs here so I generated JPEGs instead. I adjusted the JPEG quality in IA so that the file size was close to that for the high-quality OV3 setting. The difference you see in the JPEGs is the same as for the TIFFs. The best way I've found to critically compare two images is to instantly switch between them. Online I use "Open image in new tab" in Chrome twice. Offline I use two instances of IrfanView.

Resized with Olympus Viewer 3

Resized with third-order Lanczos in Image Analyzer

E-PL2 and Olympus 40-150mm at 40mm, f/7.1, 1/1000 sec, ISO 200.

2. Brian Beezley

Brian Beezley Mu-43 All-Pro

Today's release notes for OV3 1.21 say that the image quality for RAW development has been improved, but the resizing sharpness loss remains.

3. zorobabel

zorobabel New to Mu-43

Dec 22, 2011
    Not exactly on topic, but is there a way to disable the aspect ratio lock when exporting and resizing in OV3?