Olympus Viewer 3 released

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by pdk42, Apr 2, 2013.

1. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
  2. Ranger Rick

Ranger Rick Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    Tempe, AZ
    Rick
  3. gugarci

gugarci Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Lyndhurst, NJ
    Bill
    It's not showing there's a new version using the internal updater. Did you update it manually?

4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Downloaded 3. Ugh. Slow as molasses. Uninstall.

5. gugarci

gugarci Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Lyndhurst, NJ
    Bill
    Just installed it manually and it does not uninstall the previous version. This is good because if you don't like this version you don't have to reinstall V2.

6. gugarci

gugarci Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Lyndhurst, NJ
    Bill
    I just started playing around with OV3 and I'm not seeing that. On my PC It's faster than OV2.

7. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Running a 2009 MBP, and I could count to 10 between regular view to expanding to 1:1 view. I'll try a reboot before uninstalling, and see if that helps.

8. gugarci

gugarci Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Lyndhurst, NJ
    Bill
    Good luck but like I said it's definitely faster on my PC. Now I'm off to update LR.

9. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    MUCH faster on my MBP.

10. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Agreed with all who say it's faster. I'm now un-installing my Viewer 2.

11. agpr

agpr Mu-43 Regular

Nov 2, 2010
    Heraklion, Crete
    At last OV doesn't revert back to original the settings on raw files after exiting the program!

12. phl0wtography

phl0wtography Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 15, 2011
    What is OV good for anyway? The only benefit I see is for people that want to convey the look of Oly's picture modes, like vivid, portrait, monotone, but don't wanna shoot jpeg.
    It's sluggish as hell even on a top of the line PC, destructive an the UI doesn't make any sense (much like Olys in camera menus).

13. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    Olympus colours. Export your pics in 16bit/channel tiffs and finish edits in LR. But yeah, thats about it :)

14. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
  15. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    Windows version seems to be bugged - can't access networked drives. And seems to be doing two filter passes on every image view. But even so, much faster than OV2.

16. Low-fi

Low-fi New to Mu-43

Feb 25, 2013
    California
    Just took OV3 for a little test drive. Happy to see that my concern (Olympus Viewer 2 - JPG & RAW delete shortcut? - Micro Four Thirds User Forum) was addressed in this version! Under Options/Basic: "Display RAW and JPEG together" (or you can right-click anywhere in the thumbnail area and click this same option in the pop-up menu). Now it will delete both the RAW & JPEG copies together, SO much easier.

However, I think I may see the issue with those folks who are complaining about slow preview times—when both RAW & JPEG are grouped together and you double click on a thumbnail to display the photo, the program shows the RAW copy, not the JPEG. Thus, they do take considerably longer to display at full resolution than the JPEGs, especially at 1:1. Unless I'm missing something, I don't see any option to tell the program to display the JPEG version instead if both formats are present.

Viewing the JPEGs & RAWs separately, I'm not noticing any speed difference either way compared with OV2. (2011 iMac, 8GB of RAM).

Another new minor annoyance in this version: Suddenly the button to enter full-screen while viewing a photo has vanished. I'm not seeing a keyboard shortcut, therefore I guess we're stuck having to hit "Back" to return to the thumbnail browser, at which point we are allowed to use the Slideshow button once again. I know, I know, can't really complain about free software, but that seems like a bit of a no-brainer that they missed.

17. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    The Add Text feature of OV 2 seems to be missing in OV 3 or else it's been buried somewhere.

18. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Add Text & other functions have been left out of the typical set-up but can be added back in with the little customising symbol on the right for both Edit & RAW. It looks like a stack of books with a curved up arrow at the side of it & clicking on that brings up a double box with functions that can be added from the left to the one are on the right (just like adding shortcut icons to the tool bar in MS Office Word). This is to keep it simple for beginners, I guess.

19. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Tried to export a raw as jpeg but the resize tool/option only allows 1:1 aspec ration - never lets me "break" the chain link locking H/V sizes. Weird. Dug through menus and didn't find anything obvious...

20. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    Hi Rob,

Probably me being thick here, but I don't understand what you are trying to do with resize in this instance?

If you want to export and resize with anything other than the current aspect ratio, there will have to be a crop somewhere (otherwise some horrible stretching or blank canvas), and therefore a decision needed as to which part of the image to crop and save as.

e.g. If your original image is, say, at aspect ratio 4:3, and you want to export it as 16:9, there will need to be information cut top & bottom to avoid distortion; but, does the export assume it cuts equally from top/bottom just leaving the slice from the centre? This could cut heads off etc., does it just export from the top down until it gets to the ":9" ratio, or what?

To me, it doesn't make sense to change the aspect ratio in an export, this way. I would expect to go into Edit, Crop to 16:9 (or whatever you are wanting), move the crop around until you get an acceptable image at that ratio, then Export to JPG.

Methinks, perhaps I'm totally misundertanding what you are trying to achieve.