1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus Viewer 3 RAW processing question

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by twalker294, May 23, 2013.

1. twalker294

twalker294 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2010
    I just downloaded OV3 this morning and I've been messing around with it getting used to the differences between it and OV2. There is one thing that OV2 did that I can't figure out how to do in 3. In OV2, you could go into the RAW processing module, make your adjustments on a single image, then use the checkboxes in the thumbnail strip to select other images that you wanted to apply the same adjustments to, then go to the Edit menu and select "Apply current settings to checked images." In OV3, there is no Edit menu in the RAW development module and I can't find where you can duplicate that functionality. You can select multiple RAW files then with the multiple files selected, you can make adjustments and they apply to all selected files, or you can make your adjustments on one image then set a "My setting" with those adjustments and apply it to the others, but those are the only ways I have found to copy RAW adjustments to multiple images. Am I missing something or is that functionality no longer in OV3?

Thanks
    Todd

2. twalker294

Aug 18, 2010
    Crickets....hmm :frown:

3. kreegah bundolo

kreegah bundolo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 25, 2013
    Sweden, north of the dalälv
    Johan
    I´ve been using the exakt workflow that you describe but I´m on the wrong pc right now to check exactly were to go. I think in editmode klick 'raw' then on the right side there are those options you look for, above the 'raw1' and 'raw2' menus.

4. twalker294

Aug 18, 2010
    Hmm...not seeing anything there

hiSSnwk.

If you wouldn't mind checking when you can I would be eternally grateful!

Thanks
    Todd

5. kreegah bundolo

kreegah bundolo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 25, 2013
    Sweden, north of the dalälv
    Johan
    Only a couple of days ago I was exploring ov3 and was playing around. I did a small batch raw´s, lens correction and ienhance on all and exported them, but I don´t remember exactly every step.

I´ll look when I´ll sit down at my "big" pc, and report, not until tomorrow thou.

edit; I´m old, memorys just a bit slow. I´m pretty sure I had to use 'ctrl' to mark those images and then do my settings.

6. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Why don't Olympus put a user manual for OV3 on their website, it is a great software but needs an operating manual to figuire out the intricacies of how to get the best out of it.

I am loving the IQ from my OMD Raw files batch edited and exported as 16bit Tiffs from OV3.

here is a vieo for interested parties: and it works for OV3:
    [ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJrtOS0MLiM]Olympus Viewer 2 Batch Processing for raw files - YouTube[/ame]

7. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    Instead of going straight into RAW from the Image View screen, choose Edit instead (the pencil icon on the top right).

You'll see the jpg & raw filmstrip across the top. Click on the raw you want to edit, and you will get a raw as well as an edit tab on the right. Make whatever changes you want. Go up to the top menu, and choose Edit | Copy Edit Settings or Ctrl|Shift|C, then select the other raws you want to apply the same settings to in the filmstrip, and go to Edit | Paste Edit Settings or Ctrl|Shift|V

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    Yes, you've clicked RAW from the Image view window to get those tabs. The tabs look different if you click the Edit (Pencil) first, and then you get the edit/copy/paste functions as before in OV2.

9. twalker294

Aug 18, 2010
    PERFECT! That's exactly what I was looking for -- thanks! I still don't understand the difference between the RAW development module and the Edit module. Why do they both exist? Is it just sloppy programming or do they truly serve different purposes?

10. slappy

slappy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2013
    Guildford, Surrey, UK
    I'm obviously missing something,
    But I can't crop images in viewer 3. I click the edit palette, click the radio button for crop , but there's no grab button on the picture to crop.

Is it just a free viewer, with editing a premium upgrade ?

11. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Checkbox on the crop tab brings up the tool you are looking for.

12. slappy

slappy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2013
    Guildford, Surrey, UK
    Thanks Rob - I was clicking on the various crop options radio buttons, but not the crop function itself. As you can probably tell all I've used the program for so far is uploading to flickr.

Another question. I thought if I have the OMD, then the Viewer program can apply the Art Filters which are available on the camera. Is this correct, and if so how do I do that? Thank you

13. twalker294

Aug 18, 2010
    Select the photo you want to work on, click "Edit" in the top right, then select the RAW tab on the right and you'll see Art Filter at the top. You have to shoot RAW in order to do this.

14. slappy

slappy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2013
    Guildford, Surrey, UK
    great - that's worked.

15. paula

paula New to Mu-43

Jan 9, 2014
    So I am also new to viewer 3 and I am having major troubles. After about 30mins I have figured out how to crop a picture. I now cannot figure out how to save it it its new form?
    Any advice

16. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

At the top left is the Export tab (when viewing image). Click on that & it will open an Export Image window with the file name highlighted. I usually add something like '-cr' so it saves as a separate file from the original.

17. paula

paula New to Mu-43

Jan 9, 2014

Thanks I found it. First question of many I guess ;)

18. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    How do I accept a crop once I've outlined it.

19. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Export & save a new file of it, generally by altering the file name. I usually add "-cr" on the end of it so I know it is a cropped version when I come across the file at some other time. The crop data will stay with the original in OV3 unless you reset it, so it is possible to use the same settings again with further adjustments if desired (& saving another file again).

20. JimUSNY

JimUSNY Mu-43 Regular

Nov 5, 2013
    Mid Hudson Valley NY
    Jim
    I had a heck of a time cropping too, the only way I could do it was to drag it from the edges, never did see how to flip it to horizontal on portrait pics