Olympus Viewer 3 raw editing problem

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by mrpbotond, Jun 17, 2016.

1. mrpbotond

mrpbotond New to Mu-43

Jun 17, 2016
    Olympus E-PL6

2. mrpbotond

mrpbotond New to Mu-43

Jun 17, 2016
    I have an Olympus E-PL6 and I would like to use Olympus Viewer 3 to edit my raw files. But I have a problem with it. I cant get back my blown out highlights. I tried to darken my whole exposure or just darken my highlights but I couldnt get back any information from the highlights. I tried it with other editor programs and those handled highlights much better. Olympus Viewer 3 handles my raw files like jpg files. It doesnt handle raw files like it should. How could I fix this problem?

3. OV3 can be a bit perplexing...and is often a source of frustration for those of us that still use it, despite it's incredible slowness. Don't know how much difference it makes, but try using the Expert mode...Tools>Options>Basic>Change Mode. When you open an ORF file, the control panel will display both Edit and Raw tabs to the right of the screen. Highlight recovery with OV3 may not be as dramatic as other warez. That and for the actual change to appear, you need to update the image. The small triangle with exclamation point that's slowly flashing needs clicking. Bring a lunch. Don't give up on OV3..it just needs time for you to get the hang of it. There are times when it will give you great results, especially with colors.

4. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Unfortunately, as much as I like to use OV3, it doesn't recover highlights anywhere near as well as Capture One (Pro 9) which does a great job.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. No, it doesn't have very fine controls with highlight and shadow recovery. But when these aren't that much of an issue and when medium to low ISO is used, I like using OV3. The color quality makes up for it's quirkiness.

6. mrpbotond

mrpbotond New to Mu-43

Jun 17, 2016
    Thanks for the answers!
    I also like to use OV3 but I couldnt solve my problem. I will use LR instead.
    I shoot raw because I cant always shoot perfectly exposed pictures. Except this I would be perfectly happy with the lovely jpg output from my camera.

7. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

There is a photo I took on the E-M5 of my 3 dogs with severe blown highlights where Capture One recovered them but OV3 couldn't. See here in this thread. SHOW: Before and After Shots
    Scroll down on page 1.

• Like Like x 1
  8. mrpbotond

mrpbotond New to Mu-43

Jun 17, 2016
    Really nice and important photo. It's good you shot this in raw format.
    Thanks for sharing this thread. There are some great examples of raw processing.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1