1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus viewer 3 + Metadata

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by bigboysdad, Dec 15, 2013.

1. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    I've started processing all raw files through Olympus Viewer 3 as tiff files before exporting them to Lightroom 5. The trouble is, some of the metadata goes missing, most notably for me the lens details. I know this has something to do with Olympus Viewer, as this never ever happens with Lightroom 5. Any ideas how this can be fixed?

2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

This happens with 16-bit TIFFs, annoyingly. 8-bit TIFFs and JPEGs are fine.

3. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    Oh well, I guess that's me moving away from olympus for my next camera purchase. Not much point for me taking great pics when I can't even get metadata.

4. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Olympus make naff software but how does that impact the camera? You can just use LR5 to do the conversion directly - now with LR5.3 they have colour profiles that emulate Olympus OOC (and Olympus Viewer) output.

5. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    It impacts the camera as I can't apply metadata to the best images it produces which are rendered by OV3.

LR5 5.3 is an improvement, but as is perfectly normal, the images it produces will never be 100% as good as the native renderer.

My temporary solution until the next camera purchase (assuming Olympus continue not to give a stuff about this issue) is to convert all ORF files to DNGs, then edit in LR5. Looking at the images thus produces, this seems to be the next best solution.

6. akkers

akkers Mu-43 Regular

May 25, 2012
    Some good news for the OP. The update for Oly Viewer 3 has a fix where by you can export 16 bit Tiff files with metadata!
    I just downloaded it last night.
    Version 1.2.

• Like Like x 2
  7. alan1972

alan1972 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Malaga, Spain
    Alan Grant
    So it does! Well spotted. I didn't see this specifically mentioned as one of the changes in version 1.2, but indeed there is now a check-box with the 16-bit option so you can choose with or without EXIF.

8. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    Absolutely fantastic - wow, I've actually got something I wanted! And thank you to the contributors to this thread for empathising and chipping in with the comments.

9. peter124

peter124 Mu-43 Regular

I have OV3, and was excited to try this. But when I try to export an .ovf file, I don't see a 16 bit tiff option. There is EXIF-tiff, but it doesn't give a specific bit depth. Am I missing something?

10. alan1972

alan1972 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Malaga, Spain
    Alan Grant
    Do you see an option just called "Tiff" beneath Exif-TIFF? That is how it appears for me. That in turns gives options for the bit depth, and for exif if you choose 16-bit.

It is a bit cryptic but it appears to work as follows:
    - exif-tiff saves as 8-bit with exif (without actually telling you it is 8-bit)
    - tiff with the 8-bit option chosen saves without exif
    - tiff with the 16-bit option chosen gives you the option via a checkbox of saving with or without exif.

11. peter124

peter124 Mu-43 Regular

Alan, many thanks! Yes that does exactly as you describe.

I think 'a bit cryptic' is a rather mild description. My version would be pretty much unprintable. Talk about hidden features!

12. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    I just found out that same thing by a bit of experimenting.

13. akkers

akkers Mu-43 Regular

May 25, 2012
    Is it just me or does anyone else feel that the performance and speed of Oly Viewer 3 has improved lately after the updates?

Either that or i m getting used to its slowness.