Olympus Viewer 3 and panoramas

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by bjurasz, Oct 3, 2015.

1. bjurasz

bjurasz Mu-43 Regular

Dec 10, 2014
    Cedar Park
    I'm trying to learn Olympus Viewer 3. In particular I want to create a panoramic from 3 images I took with my E-M10. I have them as RAW, or can export a JPG from Aperture. But no matter which I choose, when I select the 3 in OV3 and hit "panorama" it keeps telling me it doesn't support those file types.

It also doesn't tell me what file type it is expecting. Nor is the help system giving me any input. And the online help system? Without an index, its useless. :(

2. bjurasz

bjurasz Mu-43 Regular

Dec 10, 2014
    Cedar Park
    Ok, I'm starting to find it. I need to use the Panorama scene mode when I capture the images. Then import them into Oly Viewer. Got it.

Now.... what if I need to take not just a series of shots left to right, but also up to down? In other words I need to merge not just a line of images, but multiple rows of multiple images? I think I might need something more powerful, such as maybe PhotoStitcher for the Mac. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/photostitcher/id638230527?mt=12

Any other suggestions? TIA.

3. Arkleseizure

Arkleseizure New to Mu-43

Jan 22, 2016
    I use the free version of autostitch. It is extremely powerful, and can stitch photos in any order or configuration, and ignore irrelevant images. It is the software behind many other programs like PanoramaPlus and autopano. There are demo versions for Windows and OSX. Remember to check the settings, as it is set to a fast but low quality setting by default. Use scale=100 and blending bands~8 for the very best quality. Unfortunately, it does not support RAW files. I hope that helps!

4. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The default is from left > right but you can press any of the 4 way pad keys to change that direction.

5. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    Microsoft has the money and brains to make great software when they want to. I find the microsoft ICE program very good at stitching. Its free, easy to use, and seems to work well.

Image Composite Editor - Microsoft Research

6. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    ICE is nice, hugin is better IMHO. ICE is easier but hugin has more flexibility. These newer freebies have left autostitch in the dust.

• Like Like x 1
  7. bjurasz

bjurasz Mu-43 Regular

Dec 10, 2014
    Cedar Park
    Should have updated this, sorry. Found Affinity Photo on the Mac App Store. A surprisingly good Photoshop alternative at a very attractive price. And it was able to do my photo stitching for me, including cases where I had a matrix of images to stitch together, not just a single line of images. :)