Olympus Viewer 3 and AppHangB1 Error

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by AlwaysLearning, Mar 16, 2016.

1. AlwaysLearning

AlwaysLearning New to Mu-43

Mar 16, 2016
    Hi Everyone,

I'm currently working on a project and receiving an "AppHangB1" error message from Olympus Viewer 3 (version 1.5).

I can:
    -Open OV3
    -Upload photos (from camera and computer)
    -Edit photos

I cannot:
    -Export / save photo(s)

The OV3 program becomes unresponsive and I receive the "AppHangB1" error message shortly after I click the "save" button in the export image dialog box.

A web search revealed this topic:
    Olympus IB software problem: Micro Four Thirds Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Where the advice is to un-install and re-install the program.

Has anyone needed to do this before?

If so:
    -Did this fully resolve the problem?
    -Any tips /advice?

My biggest question is what happens to the edits I have made that were not saved when I uninstall and reinstall the program-- are they lost or retained?

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Take care,
  2. AlwaysLearning

Mar 16, 2016
    Hi Everyone,

A quick update:
    I called Olympus Technical Support.

The advice:
    1. Try to update to the newest version of the OV3 software via uninstall / reinstall.
    (He thinks the problem is due to old software.)

2. Make sure to back-up all OV3 files in:
    My Documents --> My Pictures --> Olympus Viewer 3
    (This may or may not save the edits made in the OV3 program during the uninstall / reinstall process...)

Apparently this is an "unusual problem," so I'll keep this updated for any one else encountering this problem.

A Couple Side Notes Related to my System / Problem:
    -Previous attempts to update the OV3 software were unsuccessful due to "server errors."
    Hopefully, the update process will go smoother with an uninstall / fresh install.

-When trying to problem solve the issue prior to calling Olympus Tech Support, my computer started slowing way down.
    Viewing the Task Manager, I've noticed multiple open cmdBatch processes consuming a lot of resources.

I've since noticed that a new cmdBatch process opens / persists each time OV3 opens / becomes unresponsive.

Hope this helps someone!

Take care,
  3. AlwaysLearning

Mar 16, 2016
    Hi Everyone,

Here is the latest:

-Uninstalled OV3 version 1.5 and downloaded / installed version from the Olympus website.
    Unfortunately, changing versions did not solve the AppHangB1 error problem for me / my system.​

-I called Olympus Tech Support again today
    I have a phone appointment with Olympus Tech Support tomorrow.​

In the meantime, some observations in case it helps others in the future:

With Version
    -Edits to photos made in OV3 version 1.5 appear to be intact through the uninstall / reinstall process to version
    -New edits made in version are saved within the OV3 program (I can make edits / close the program and see these edits when I re-open the program. In contrast, these edits were not saving with version 1.5 once I started receiving the AppHangB1 error.)
    -I still receive the AppHangB1 error when I try to export / save files.
    -Uninstalling and reinstalling version does not have any effect.
    -Interesting Note: The version Help File seems to be missing / cannot be located...
    -Trying to upgrade from version to version 2.1 still results in server connection failure messages.

That is call for now.

Take care,
  4. yendikeno

yendikeno Mu-43 Regular

Sep 5, 2015
    Appreciate your updates. Hope you get this fixed soon.
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  5. I had problems trying to install OV3 last year. They recommend turning off your antivirus...I had to make sure that every piece of security ware was off...including my firewall. I had forgotten that Online Armor had some other security features...after 3 calls to Olympus tech help. Once OA was off, install went OK. Wonder if you're getting hung up on some security ware.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    I've run into the same problem when trying to update camera and lens firmware; the AV and firewall has to be off or the updater won't work.
  7. AlwaysLearning

Mar 16, 2016
    Hi Everyone,

yendikeno-- I appreciate the support!
    Thank you!

WithOpenedEyes and Carbonman-- Thank you for the tips about the Anti-Virus Software and Firewall!

I get some odd behavior when I update the camera and lens software as well, so this may very well be a factor in the problem.

In case it is related, when I update my camera / lens software:
    -It takes a while to reach 100% (I do have a slow internet connection)
    -After reaching 100%, the dots and cancel button blink for a while
    -The update process can start again
    -This update-blink-update process can repeat for a while before finally completing

Quick follow-up to an earlier observation:
    -This may be part of my AppHangB1 error problem, but edits made to photos in version are not saved after I turn the computer off and back on.
    -Edits only seem to be saved during the time that the computer stays on.
    -Although, it is kind of a moot point as I still can't export these edits...

On Friday, March 18, 2016, I had a phone appointment with Olympus Tech Support.
    He set-up a remote connection to my computer and I talked / walked him through everything (from the first error to what I had been doing to try to problem-solve).

I don't think he has seen this problem before.

He is going to research why I am having issues updating the OV3 software to version 2.1 and get back to me as he thinks updating the software will help.

Side Note / Update to Earlier Observation:
    Version does not come with a Help File, you need to update to version 2.1 to receive the Help File.

Posting for future reference (in case anyone else in the future has this problem):
    The first recommendations / suggestions you will get to fix the problem (computer "housekeeping"):
    -Virus Scan
    -Malware Scan
    -Disc Clean-Up
    -Disc De-fragment
    -Check for and Install latest Software updates
    -Check for and Install latest Computer updates ​

I've been working on another project, so I haven't been able to devote a lot of time to troubleshooting / problem solving, but some quick web searches found some patterns / common recommendations.

(I still need to do more research-- I'm posting these links to make it easier for me to find them again. If you have any thoughts, suggestions, or tips, I'd love to hear them!)

Start the Computer in Safe Mode / Clean Boot:
    Windows Explorer 7 is not responding - 'apphangb1 explorer.exe' error

Run System File Checker Command:
    Frequent APPCRASH/APPHANG(B1) - Windows 7 Help Forums

I've also come across some Frequently Recommended Tools / Resources:
    SysInternals Tools / Website / Mark Russinovich / Case of the Unexplained:
    Windows Sysinternals: Documentation, downloads and additional resources

Security Task Manager:
    Security Task Manager - Windows 10, 8, 7, XP process viewer

As I mentioned, I need to do more research, but right now, I'm thinking of downloading one of the more detailed Task Manager Tools so I can better see what is going on when I use OV3 and get the AppHangB1 error message before I try to update to version 2.1.

I may be wrong and I know it is a common computer troubleshooting method to upgrade to the newest version, but I'm not currently convinced that is going to solve the problem long term...

Since the problem started in version 1.5 and has persisted to version, I'm wondering if there is something "interfering" with OV3, or if there is an error that is persisting across versions, or ...?

I may also be hesitating to update as:
    -I want to try to make sure to explore all possible causes / solutions so this AppHangB1 error does not re-occur / persist
    -It is easier to uninstall / install version as I don't need to update to get it...

What a long post!
    I wanted to get it all down before anything else happened and I forgot something!

That is all for now.

Take care,
  8. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Any particular you are using OV3 instead of LR or C1P or other raw converter and editor?
  9. AlwaysLearning

Mar 16, 2016
    Hi mcasan,

I know that many Olympus users have a love / hate relationship with the OV3 software due to its colors / speed, and I have researched other options out there to make sure the tools I have fit what I need to do the most efficiently / cost effectively.

To answer your question more directly:

I still use OV3 because:

-I like the colors
    -I find it does most of what I need it to do
    -I have a limited budget and am still learning

As I see it, I paid for the camera and the OV3 software, so I may as well get full use out of it...

I know this is a taboo subject, but most of my projects require quick turn-around times, small files, and/or JPG files, so I shoot in JPG.
    (I also do not have the storage space to save JPG + RAW right now...)

With the OV3 issues I have been having recently, I have been relying on GIMP (GIMP - GNU Image Manipulation Program) to complete my projects.

That said, I'm really glad I found this forum-- Lots of nice folks, a global community, and a wealth of knowledge and experience!
    I'm especially loving the Post Processing Challenge Series and have been practicing my RAW and JPG processing skills.

Take care,
  10. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    I understand. Be careful that because you have spent money...you think you somehow have to use it. The money is spent in any case. Using OV3 does not actively put money back in your pocket. At the most it may postpone the acquisition of other software. Good luck editing our jpg images.
  11. AlwaysLearning

Mar 16, 2016
    Hi mcasan,

I appreciate the advice!

I am by nature a curious person, so I do explore the possibilities.
    I have a few different pieces of software, and I am currently enjoying the results I am getting with the GIMP / OV3 combination.
    I realize this will likely change as my skills develop / my style evolves, so I keep an eye out for what people are using and how they are using it.

Hi Everyone,

A quick update / observation regarding AppHangB1 and OV3:

I received a follow-up e-mail from Olympus Tech Support that included a link to Microsoft TechNet Forums:

apphangb1 - Microsoft TechNet Search

I downloaded the Sysinternals Process Explorer tool (a more advanced Task Manager) and had it open with the Olympus Viewer 3, version

(I have not installed the symbols into the Process Explorer, so I cannot really dig into / provide details yet...)​

I noticed that that the previously mentioned cmdBatch process opens / persists / and seems to be related to the AppHangB1 error message only when opening a specific set of photos (the same set of photos from when the error first started).

These photos where first processed in GIMP then uploaded into OV3 for further editing.

(I have imported GIMP processed photos into OV3 before, but this is the first time I received the AppHangB1 error message.)​

If I close OV3, force stop / kill the cmdBatch process, re-open OV3, and open the original photos (from the camera / before GIMP processing) from this project, the cmdBatch process does not open and I can edit and export / save the photos.

"Suspending" the cmdBatch process still results in the AppHangB1 error message, but "killing" the process seems to allow me to work in OV3-- even allowing me to open GIMP processed photos from this project, edit, and export / save...

I will need to see if this persists after computer re-start...

I have gone through the rest of my Olympus photo library (which includes original photos as well as other photos processed in GIMP, Paint.net, and Zoner Photo Studio 17)-- no other photo nor set of photos currently causes the cmdBatch process to open / persist when viewing a photo / set of photos.

As another test, I opened a photo from a previous project in OV3 (that was also first processed in GIMP), edited it in OV3, and was able to successfully export / save the photo from OV3.

Watching the Process Explorer when exporting / saving a photo from OV3, the cmdBatch process opens while the file saving dialog box is open and closes when the saving dialog box closes.

Perhaps the AppHangB1 error is occurring with this specific set of photos because there is a cmdBatch process already open when trying to export / save a photo...?

As a follow-up I will need to:
    -Re-test this after a computer restart to see if this pattern continues
    -See if there is some export setting in GIMP that is triggering this cmdBatch process to open / persist in OV3

Well that is all for now.

If anyone has any thoughts, insights, or suggestions, please let me know.

Take care,
  12. AlwaysLearning

Mar 16, 2016
    Hi Everyone,

A quick follow-up RE: AppHangB1 error, OV3, and my current work-around:

In my case, a cmdBatch process opens / persists when viewing photos uploaded to a specific folder [main folder contains sub-folders: (GIMP) edited photos].

This leads to an AppHangB1 error with OV3 if I try to edit / export anything and/or close the program while this cmdBatch process is open / persists.

I can continue to use OV3 by "killing" this cmdBatch process in a Task Manager program.

When I originally spoke with Olympus Tech Support (a while back), he recommended saving photos from OV3 without EXIF data.

Since that recommendation, I have experimented with a number of export settings, both in OV3 and in GIMP, and seen no difference / issue when viewing / editing in OV3...

In my case, it is one specific set of photos that is causing this cmdBatch process in OV3 and I have yet to be able to replicate it with another set of photos via photo upload method / location, editing techniques / process, or export settings / process...​

Because I can currently use OV3 without problem, I haven't invested the time to fully problem-solve...

When using OV3 now, I divide my screen so 3/4 = OV3 and 1/4 = ProcessExplorer.​

I hope that helps.

Take care,
  13. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 20, 2012
    Blue Mountains, NSW, Australia
    I use OV3 for general editing & resizing but not for any batch processing & I use Capture One (Pro 9) for more advanced RAW edits which recovers highlights that OV3 hasn't a hope of doing so, but after C1 editing I then resize & sharpen that file for web display in OV3 because it is so easy to do there & I'm comfortable with the program.

Thanks for all the feedback on this though.