Olympus Viewer 2 RAW processing troubles

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by twalker294, Dec 5, 2010.

1. twalker294

twalker294 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2010
    OK, I hope this is a stupid question and I'm just overlooking something obvious. Tonight I shot a set of pics in RAW on my E-PL1 because I knew the lighting was going to be bad and I'd need more exposure latitude than JPG offers. So I am trying to adjust them in OV2 but all the RAW processing controls aren't available to me.

Going in order of the controls on the right side, I can adjust exposure, white balance, and picture mode just fine. The contrast control is completely greyed out and I can't select anything from the drop down. Sharpness and saturation are adjustable but I can't adjust b/w filter or picture tone. I can adjust everything from gradation down to the bottom.

So why are some controls available and some are not?

Thanks
    Todd

2. agpr

agpr Mu-43 Regular

Nov 2, 2010
    Heraklion, Crete
    Probably you shoot with gradation set to Auto. Try to set it to normal and you will have again control over contrast and tone.

3. pdh

pdh Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 6, 2010
    Todd, on the button bar there should be a "RAW" button to click to open the RAW development window; or use Edit/Open Raw Development Window.
    Apologies for pointing out the obvious if you've already done this !

4. twalker294

Aug 18, 2010
    agpr, that was it -- thanks a bunch.

pdh, I actually hadn't found the RAW button before posting my message but did shortly thereafter, however it didn't make any difference. The gradation setting was the one causing the problem.

Thanks for the help!
    Todd

5. pdh

pdh Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 6, 2010
    heh ... should have tried it before I posted!
    Glad you are sorted

6. twalker294

Aug 18, 2010
    OK, I just ran across another, MUCH more serious and annoying problem. I edited my pics then clicked the save button. I selected the output directory. A couple of minutes later the status window popped up and told me that all 8 files had failed. I tried going to File|Develop and Save, which does the same thing but I figured it was worth a shot, and the same thing happened. So I closed OV2 and reopened it and now all my edits are gone.

This is the crappiest piece of RAW editing software I've ever used. I've shot RAW on my 10D and 40D for over 7 years so I'm anything but a novice at RAW processing but this is ridiculous. How many RAW editors don't save the settings for each file? That kind of defeats the purpose of RAW in the first place if you ask me.

Very frustrated...if anyone can tell me why OV2 would have been processing files fine one minute then error out 5 minutes later I would much appreciate it.

7. agpr

agpr Mu-43 Regular

Nov 2, 2010
    Heraklion, Crete
    twalker294,
    I share your opinion for OV2 and the comparison to canon's counterpart. It's really frustrating and I haven't found a solution. I guess we have to wait for a major update. In case I overlooked something, please, anyone, tell my how I can save my settings on OV2.
    Greetings

8. twalker294

Aug 18, 2010
    Well I finally got through my small batch of 8 images by developing and saving them one at a time. Even doing that, I got the error after doing the first 5 and I had to exit and restart OV2. It seems like a memory leak to me. Anyway, if Olympus wants their MFT cameras to be taken seriously by advanced amateurs and semi pros, they are going to have to either come out with completely new RAW development software that works like it should or do some major work to OV2. Simply leaving it to the third parties like Adobe and Apple (Lightroom/ACR and Aperture,) isn't acceptable.