Olympus Viewer 2 now available

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by tpitch14, May 13, 2010.

1. tpitch14

tpitch14 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 31, 2010
    PA
    • Like Like x 16
  2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Thanks for this! I'll be interested to hear what people think.

3. tpitch14

tpitch14 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 31, 2010
    PA
    I just installed it, but haven't tested it out yet... :smile:

4. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    I'll never use it but I can't resist a free program...
    Thanks....I'll play with it on the weekend....

5. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend Charter Member

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I've just installed the new Viewer, the interface is very much like Lightroom/Capture One, so clearly Olumpus is taking notice of previous criticism. In use, it's actually not too bad and you get all of the selections that you get in-camera, when playing around with RAW files. If I wasn't committed to Lightroom, I'd probably use this as my RAW converter, based on this short trial anyway. I think it is now quite a useable RAW editor for anyone who hasn't got one of the major ones already. It's not quite as fast as Lightroom, but not too bad for individual shot processing. And I may use this as a post-processor for art effects, if I'm ever that way inclided.

Here's a shot I did a quick conversion on and used the Pin Hole filter for a subtle effect:

[​IMG]

Cheers

Ray

• Like Like x 2
  6. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Am downloading it now. Hope it has a Levels adjustment.

7. OzRay

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    It's got the lot.

Cheers

Ray

• Like Like x 2
  8. pdh

pdh Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 6, 2010
    Will it co-exist with Master 2 ?
    Or will installing in stamp all over the Master 2 and render it useless?
    (Windows XP)

9. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

It co-exists with Studio and recognised it and asked to import settings. It still doesn't allow a 'proper' levels adjustment by sliding the black and white point markers on the histogram or by eyedropper. You can adjust contrast in curves but it lacks presets. Seems to do everything that Studio does except camera control and tethered shooting (not available for Pens anyway). Seems a bit snappier but I will stay with ACR.

If you want the Help files you have to set Automatic Updates in Tools>Options and then restart.

10. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    I was initially worried about Olympus dropping support for Olympus Studio which I use as the first step in my raw workflow (finishing PP in Lightzone) but everything Looks good, this does everything I need and it's free! :2thumbs:

Cheers

Brian

11. Robert Watcher

Robert Watcher Mu-43 Top Veteran

It does have some appealing and useful features - especially for a free program. The nice looking interface.

Allows me to mark my favorite images with a color designation quickly - as I do in Lightroom or Bridge when editing down my weddings or portraits to the final selection. Easy basic editing features - and the Noise Reduction slider is simple. Oh yes - and being able to add the Art Filters is a really nice bonus if those effects are desirable.

I really like that it has Perspective Correction - which is something that I accomplish in Photoshop through the Lens Correction Filter. Very useful for tilted images - - - but also when shooting groups with a wide angle lens in tighter spaces and people standing near the edges are distorted.

Also nice to have a basic Movie function built in - to support all of the new cameras like the Pens that are providing that ability. It was really slow loading a folder of about 8 GB of video into the Lightbox from my external USB drive where I store them - and you can't do anything else until everything is loaded (like if you change your mind and want to go to a different folder). But once loaded, movies could be accessed and played with no problems. Even a few basic editing features like fade in/out, cut and merge frames - plus the ability to grab a single frame from the movie.

I am so entrenched in Lightroom for management and Photoshop for editing, that it may be hard to change workflow just to adapt to this software. But it certainly is a valuable and free application for any who do not need the heavy learning curve of the Adobe products or who have not invested in them. And maybe for someone like me who uses both a PC for my workstation and a Mac for my laptop - where 2 different licences would be required for both Lightroom and Photoshop to have them on both computer systems - - - it will be nice having this software to manage and edit photos on the computer that doesn't have those licensed programs on it. Did I say that right? :biggrin:

• Like Like x 4
  12. AJShepherd

AJShepherd Mu-43 Rookie Charter Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Also, E-P1 users now get the Diorama and Cross Process filters.

Haven't had the chance to investigate it further yet, but it looks like a massive improvement on the Master software.

13. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    Awesome! didn't notice perspective correction :2thumbs:

Cheers

Brian

• Like Like x 2
  14. tpitch14

tpitch14 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 31, 2010
    PA
    Glad to see it's receiving positive feedback, as this will probably be my go-to as I delve into the world of RAW processing :)

• Like Like x 2
  15. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    It's actually a great (and did I mention free :biggrin:) start to raw processing... also, you can use it to try out different settings to see which style you prefer for jpeg shooting - i.e. play around with colour modes, contrast, saturation, sharpening, graduation etc.

I shoot raw, and to get the unique Olympus colour signature develop with their software and export to tiff for finishing PP using Lightzone.

Cheers

Brian

16. tpitch14

tpitch14 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 31, 2010
    PA
    :thumbup: the best part, of course!

17. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Can someone point out where to apply Art filters - I can't find it - or perhaps it only shows up if you shot with the Art filter set in the camera.

EDIT:- OK I found them under Raw development. :thumbup:

18. OzRay

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    Make sure that you have the edit pallet (select View/Edit Pallet) visible on the right of the screen. Select RAW from the tab and three tabs from the bottom is Art Filter. Just pick which one you want.

Cheers

Ray

19. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    I will give it a try but my hard-disk space is limited as I keep taking photo!

20. dannat

dannat Mu-43 Regular

May 2, 2010
    Melbourne Australia
    I have downloaded the viewer..its looks a bit better to me than OLy master 2 - can I ask - does the program run fairly slow?? I am running a macbook with intel core 2 duo & snow leopard mac os 10.6..but the OLy programs seem sluggish..though photoshop elements isn't fast either