1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus Viewer 2 - File renaming

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by cerebrus, Jul 19, 2012.

1. cerebrus

cerebrus Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 19, 2012
    Hi, long time lurker here, first time I am posting.

Just got a EM-5, and have a few questions about using the Oly software to transfer images.

I want my images to have the following name format once I transfer:

yyyymmdd_0001.xxx

I shoot RAW + JPEG, I want to keep the same name for both JPEG and RAW ORF files, so they would be like so for the same image:

yyyymmdd_0001.JPG and yyyymmdd_0001.ORF

The software does not seem to do this, it just makes each file sequential

P7150001.JPG -->20120715_0001.JPG
    P7150001.ORF -->20120715_0002.ORF

Any idea if I can keep the same name for both file formats when I do the transfer?

Thanks!

2. BarefootPilgrim

BarefootPilgrim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    Bob
    I don't use Viewer anymore but as I recall it does allow you to attach a date to the filename, but not the way you want to see it.

I now use Lightroom instead of Viewer, but before importing to Lightroom I rename all my files to YYYY_MMDD_filename_CameraName.extension. I have a file renaming utility that does this by taking EXIF data from the photo and writing that EXIF date on the file name.

If you're using a Mac, you can find more about the utility here. don't know if there's anything similar available for Windows machines.

3. cerebrus

cerebrus Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 19, 2012
    Thanks for the reply!

There are a few Win based tools that let you adjust file names based on date, I have used them before. I just wanted a one click solution. I do not use LR, have PS CS5.5 at the moment.

I found a work around for my problem.

I set the camera to name files like so:

EM500001.xxx

And when I transfer, I just tell the software to rename it like this:
    yyyymmdd_(ORIGINAL FILE NAME)

so it now does this:

EM500001.JPG -->20120715_EM500001.JPG
    EM500001.ORF -->20120715_EM500001.ORF

This way I get the shooting date added, and also the file numbering does not mess up.

Did not keep the PMDD suffix for the original files. No need a double date in the final file.

4. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I just changed the P to O (signifying OM-D) in the camera to differentiate between my E30 (& E520) & the E-M5 files. The first number (after the P or O) is the month & the next two digits are the day of the month, so I don't make my file names any more complex than what it is. What you seem to have done is make an extra long file name. With windows & also an add on EXIF viewer (Kuso EXIF Viewer) that I use, there is easy accessible information on the original date & the editing date etc..

5. cerebrus

cerebrus Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 19, 2012
    My main aim was to have the final file name as so:
    yyyymmdd_0001.ORF and yyyymmdd_0001.JPG.

I want both the raw & jpeg file to both have the same name.

Just cannot find an easy way to get to that. EM-5 does not let me get rid of the PMDD suffix on the image. So I end up with four extra characters in my file name. If the camera let me have it as YYMMDD, I would not have a problem with the original output file.

I have digital images from 2003, have been using third party programs to get to the final result. Problem is some of them do not recognise the ORF EXIF. What I am doing now is this:

Use Oly software to transfer files over and add the YYYYMMDD, then use a bulk renaming utility to get rid of the extra characters.

So:
    Camera -> Oly software -> Batch Rename (final output)

EM500001.JPG ->20120715_EM500001.JPG ->20120715_00001.JPG
    EM500001.ORF ->20120715_EM500001.ORF ->20120715_00001.ORF

I now have the YYYYMMDD as a suffix, a short string for the file number, and both the JPEG & RAW have the same name.

Was just wondering if I can do it in one step with the Oly software. Put in SD card, click images I want to transfer, images get sorted into folders (by date) and images get renamed.

Yeah, I am lazy and want to cut down on one step. :tongue: