Olympus Viewer 2 - File renaming

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by cerebrus, Jul 19, 2012.

1. cerebrus

cerebrus Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 19, 2012
    Hi, long time lurker here, first time I am posting.

Just got a EM-5, and have a few questions about using the Oly software to transfer images.

I want my images to have the following name format once I transfer:

yyyymmdd_0001.xxx

I shoot RAW + JPEG, I want to keep the same name for both JPEG and RAW ORF files, so they would be like so for the same image:

yyyymmdd_0001.JPG and yyyymmdd_0001.ORF

The software does not seem to do this, it just makes each file sequential

P7150001.JPG -->20120715_0001.JPG
    P7150001.ORF -->20120715_0002.ORF

Any idea if I can keep the same name for both file formats when I do the transfer?

Thanks!

2. BarefootPilgrim

BarefootPilgrim Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    Bob
    I don't use Viewer anymore but as I recall it does allow you to attach a date to the filename, but not the way you want to see it.

I now use Lightroom instead of Viewer, but before importing to Lightroom I rename all my files to YYYY_MMDD_filename_CameraName.extension. I have a file renaming utility that does this by taking EXIF data from the photo and writing that EXIF date on the file name.

If you're using a Mac, you can find more about the utility here. don't know if there's anything similar available for Windows machines.

3. cerebrus

cerebrus Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 19, 2012
    Thanks for the reply!

There are a few Win based tools that let you adjust file names based on date, I have used them before. I just wanted a one click solution. I do not use LR, have PS CS5.5 at the moment.

I found a work around for my problem.

I set the camera to name files like so:

EM500001.xxx

And when I transfer, I just tell the software to rename it like this:
    yyyymmdd_(ORIGINAL FILE NAME)

so it now does this:

EM500001.JPG -->20120715_EM500001.JPG
    EM500001.ORF -->20120715_EM500001.ORF

This way I get the shooting date added, and also the file numbering does not mess up.

Did not keep the PMDD suffix for the original files. No need a double date in the final file.

4. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I just changed the P to O (signifying OM-D) in the camera to differentiate between my E30 (& E520) & the E-M5 files. The first number (after the P or O) is the month & the next two digits are the day of the month, so I don't make my file names any more complex than what it is. What you seem to have done is make an extra long file name. With windows & also an add on EXIF viewer (Kuso EXIF Viewer) that I use, there is easy accessible information on the original date & the editing date etc..

5. cerebrus

cerebrus Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 19, 2012
    My main aim was to have the final file name as so:
    yyyymmdd_0001.ORF and yyyymmdd_0001.JPG.

I want both the raw & jpeg file to both have the same name.

Just cannot find an easy way to get to that. EM-5 does not let me get rid of the PMDD suffix on the image. So I end up with four extra characters in my file name. If the camera let me have it as YYMMDD, I would not have a problem with the original output file.

I have digital images from 2003, have been using third party programs to get to the final result. Problem is some of them do not recognise the ORF EXIF. What I am doing now is this:

Use Oly software to transfer files over and add the YYYYMMDD, then use a bulk renaming utility to get rid of the extra characters.

So:
    Camera -> Oly software -> Batch Rename (final output)

EM500001.JPG ->20120715_EM500001.JPG ->20120715_00001.JPG
    EM500001.ORF ->20120715_EM500001.ORF ->20120715_00001.ORF

I now have the YYYYMMDD as a suffix, a short string for the file number, and both the JPEG & RAW have the same name.

Was just wondering if I can do it in one step with the Oly software. Put in SD card, click images I want to transfer, images get sorted into folders (by date) and images get renamed.

Yeah, I am lazy and want to cut down on one step. :tongue:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.