Olympus Video AF stored focus pull "trick"

Reflector

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Since Firmware 3.0, I found that the video AF is fairly responsive in the E-M1II and started to play around with it. I discovered you can emulate something like a stored focus pull setting in the E-M1II.

If you have the camera set to C-AF for video and use the AF selector in the single point mode (small or normal), the camera will try to focus on that part of the frame. However if a button is bound to magnify or touch AF is enabled on the screen, the camera will go to where the green box is at and it does it fairly quickly.

Now the thing is if the button for magnify is held down to exit from the "green box" (or the [ ] off touch screen function is touched) the E-M1II will zip back to the previous single point AF. Pressing the magnify button again or the screen will pop the box back up and the camera will send focus there.

On the E-M1II this seems to result in a very, very fast focus shift. Playing around with the Olympus 25mm f/1.8, I found that the camera will shoot between the two locations smoothly and quickly. The Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 seems to behave in the same manner but due to the low light conditions it seems to hunt a little for autofocus still (pulses a little) at times with low contrast. I'm not sure if this is because of the slower AF motor (no CDAF step) or something else so nothing definitive yet but it does seem to be "brisk" in regards to distance changes compared to firmware 2.3.

I suspect this works on the E-M1X and really any of the modern Olympus bodies too because of the way Olympus cameras are setup, because it seems to clearly realize that those are two distinct AF zones.

Top Bottom