1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus VF-5 Rumors, possibly 64% more pixels

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Aegon, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Aegon

Aegon Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
  2. strang

strang Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2012
    Yeah! These EVFs are starting to big higher and higher in resolution.

3. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    It remains to be seen if it will be first implemented as a standalone viewfinder or as part of a camera ("E-P5" or "E-M7"). I'd just like to point out that it's not only the resolution or color rendering though; refresh rate and lack of artifacts are also considerations.

The major point is that, with offerings from Epson, Sony etc I guess all excuses on the "need for an optical viewfinder" will soon practically disappear.

4. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    A good optical viewfinder such as those found on FF/FX cameras are superior in gauging true-to-life viewing. I dig my E-M5 EVF, but full-frame OVFs are still superior in my opinion.

5. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    This is a very looooong discussion, on which I have pretty strong convictions about. I'm not sure what "true to life viewing" means to you, For instance, I prefer "see what you're going to get" vs "guess what you're going to get". But I'd sincerely prefer to not take it any further here; I respect your opinion but I'd be happy to debate it on a dedicated thread.

6. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    More resolution is great. Although like anything to do with pixels- to notice a really big difference you've got to double the resolution.

What I'm really interested in is the refresh rate.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2012
    Mississippi, USA
    Quadruple resolution--double in both dimensions :wink:

Depends on the refresh rate of the sensor/live view. Personally I'd like to see more color accuracy and configurability. The E-M5 EVF is washed out and still too bright at minimum brightness. I'd also like it to be bigger. I get a bit of tunnel vision when going back and forth between my FF DSLR and the E-M5.