Olympus VF-3 Viewfinder and Pen E-PL3 Pricing Officially Announced

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Today Olympus officially launched the VF-3 electronic viewfinder, a slightly smaller, lower resolution, and less expensive alternative to the VF-2.

• VF-3: 0.97x magnification, 920k dot, 1.0 (W) x 1.7 (H) x 1.75 (D)" (25.6 x 43.5 x 44.7 mm), $179.99 street
    • VF-2: 1.15x magnification, 1.44M dot, 1.15 x 1.9 x 1.82" (29.2 x 48.3 x 46.2 mm), $259 street

Both the VF-2 and VF-3 have 100% coverage and can be tilted up 90 degrees.

I'm not sure there is enough size or price differentiation to justify having these two viewfinders in the lineup and personally would have preferred to see an even smaller VF-3 without the tilt option (eliminating the portion below the hinge).

Olympus also announced today the US pricing for the E-PL3, which will be available with an MSRP of $699.99 beginning in September for kit options of 14-42mm or 17mm lens. The previously announced UK MSRP was £549.99.

Press release at DPReview
    Source for VF-3 dimensions: 1001 Noisy Cameras
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Given how little time the VF2 spends on my camera (based on my experience with the EP2 - probably even less with the new better rear screens), I'd rather have the slightly larger one with greater resolution. If the VF3 was a LOT smaller, I might consider it, but it doesn't appear to be. So if the price difference is a big deal, I'd go for the newer cheaper one, but otherwise, I'd go for the VF2...

3. jlabate

jlabate Mu-43 Regular

Nov 22, 2010
    Is that knob on the side of the VF-3 is for exposure adjustment or diopter correction? This site here says it's for exposure but I'm thinking diopter.

Attached Files:

4. Yotsuba

Yotsuba Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2010
    I agree with you regarding the VF3's size, they should make it smaller.
  5. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    The only way they can make it smaller is by reducing the size of the screen. Aren't they using like a .25" or .3" screen?
  6. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Oh, and the 699 price on the e-pl3 is rather attractive. It does make it a tougher choice between the E-P3 and E-pl3 for me. I'm hoping someone makes a grip for it though.
  7. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    I hope the VF3 will drive down the price of the VF2, even if just a little bit.

I also agree with Amin. I don't see me using the tilt feature. I'd like a smaller one without the hinge.
  8. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    The tilt feature is actually really useful. With the VF-2 I can take pictures I that would otherwise require a very awkward position. And it's really useful for tripod shooting--you can keep the tripod lower (stabler) and simply peer straight down into the viewfinder.

I only wish it locked down tighter . . . it's annoying how it keeps popping loose and tilting when I don't want it to.
  9. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Good point, but given that the VF2 already tilts, it'd be nice to have a non-tilty (and theoretically more compact?) option.
  10. Jemski

Jemski Mu-43 Regular

Jun 5, 2011
    will there be a black VF-3? I hope so.
    A non-tiltable VF with additional hotshoe on top will definitely make my day
  11. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    I'm surprised they've made it so very ugly.
    In this case black would be much better.

I'd like to see a round-barreled one in chrome though ... moar retro kthx.
  12. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010

it's my understanding that is for color adjustment
  13. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    I use a small rubber band around the hot shoe base and it works fine.
  14. dyrmaker83

dyrmaker83 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2011
    Washington, DC
    I might as well use this as an opportunity to vote for a black version. Also, a black 45mm 1.8 would be swell.
  15. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    The important change is that VF-3 has hot shoe lock. After using VF-2 for a while it gets loose and even gets disconnected occasionally when tilited. That was some serious design flaw. However, significant drop in resolution (~50%) means that VF-3 will be far less suitable for MF (high magnification). The price is still rather high so I am not sure what is the purpose of all this. Also, it seems like VF-3 is only available in silver (looks quite awful on a black body). By the way, with the announcement of E-PL3, the price for E-PL2 kit has now gone down to $499. I bet E-PM1 will cost $599. What's really disturbing is that Olympus doesn't offer E-PL3 (or E-PM1) as body only option. Not everyone upgrading likes to accumulate kit lenses especially when the only change is cosmetic.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I like the lower price and the hot shoe lock (not sure about the color adjustment) but did it need to be so darned ugly? I had a VF2 attached to my E-PL1 and while it was a truly a wonderful VF I always thought that it looked ungainly and really detracts from the design of the camera. I am just not sure what Olympus is thinking with that thing. Take one look at the cameras and it's clear they have some terrific industrial design. What is up with the EVFs?
  17. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    I wonder if Olympus will retrofit the VF-3 locking mechanism to my VF-2 free of charge.............. if I don't lose it first.... :)

Have to agree with Amin - they should have dumped the swivel and made it smaller.
  18. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I used to have one of those on my flash bracket's cold shoe until the cold shoe fell off and I got a hole drilled to bolt a new one on, sometimes I need a rubber band on the live hotshoe on the same grip, and I use rubber bands on the battery doors of my Olympus flash guns. I could use one for my PC Sync adapter as well.

They work... but I'm really tired of holding my camera equipment together with rubber bands. :frown: Anytime they add a decent lock to a foot attachment, that's all good to me! Now the next thing they need to do is ditch the crappy plastic threads on their flash feet, and replace them with metal threads and locking ring! Whoever decided that cheap plastic was a proper material to use on threads?
  19. jlabate

jlabate Mu-43 Regular

Nov 22, 2010
    Where's the diopter adjustment?

20. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    I can't imagine that the dial is anything other than a diopter adjustment, but if that is the case I don't understand while the dial is so exposed. A diopter dial should be partially concealed or recessed so that it can't be easily adjusted. Set and forget.
    • Like Like x 1