olympus vf-3 or vf-4?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by loloban, Dec 14, 2013.

1. loloban

loloban Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 13, 2013

I'm new to this forum.
    I just bought a e-pm2.
    Thinking of getting a viewfinder.
    Should I get the vf-3 or vf-4?
  2. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    The VF2 or VF4 offer a higher quality image (more pixels) than the VF3.

However it depends on budget - you may find a good deal on a VF2 or find the VF3 is completely adequate for your needs.

If money is no object, go with the VF4.
  3. RichardB

RichardB Snapshooter

Nov 19, 2012
    Maryland, US
    VF4 looks beautiful, but the VF3 is adequate for my needs, which are framing and focusing when lighting conditions make the LCD difficult. I don't need my viewfinder to look as good as my final images, so I won't pay $100 extra for that.
  4. Lindsay D

Lindsay D Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 2, 2013
    West Sussex, England
    Totally agree with Richard. The VF3 is fine for the purpose, and it's very good in both bright and dim light. Importantly, it has a locking mechanism.
  5. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    A secondhand VF-2 would be better than a new VF-3.
  6. bigal1000

bigal1000 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Easy answer are you happy with acceptable quality VF-3 or the best quality VF-4 I like best life is too short to just settle,but that's only my opinion !!
  7. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    I have both the VF2 and VF3. Of course, the resolution of the VF2 is higher but the truth is, I prefer the VF3 on my E-PM2. It's smaller, so it goes with the whole package and it locks into the hotshoe, which the VF2 does not. I also find the VF3's resolution adequate for my purposes. Re: using the VF4 on the E-PM2... You'll have to make sure you have the latest firmware update in order for it to work and even then, the eye sensor won't be supported on that camera with that viewfinder.
  8. knfeparty

knfeparty Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 30, 2012
    I have a vf-3 on my PM-1. It makes using the camera in bright light much easier. I mostly use older MF lenses, and the focus is still hard to nail when using really wide apertures, like below 4 or so. I would save up and go for the vf-4 unless you use only autofocus.
  9. loloban

loloban Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 13, 2013
    Thanks everybody.

I've been thinking if the vf-4 is really worth the extra money over the vf-3.
    Oh, and I do know that the vf-4 eye sensor won't be supported even after firmware update. That's fine with me. Just need to set a button at the super control menu.
    I really want to get the vf-4, but it's expensive.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    The VF-3 was adequate for me, but I found a good deal on a used VF-4, and the difference is amazing. I use the viewfinder a lot though, even more on the E-PM2, because it has no flip-out LCD. I prefer a viewfinder with a lock, too.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
  11. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

VF-2 or VF-4.

From there, its a matter of how much you wanna spend.
  12. loloban

loloban Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 13, 2013
    Well, the price difference between vf-2 and vf-4 isn't big. So, if it's between vf-2 and vf-4, I'll go for vf-4.
    However, the vf-3 and vf-4 has a big big price difference. That is what's been troubling me.
    I guess I'll just look for a good deal on the vf-4 then I'll buy it.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Don't let the model numbers confuse you. When it comes to the quality of the viewing image:

VF4 > VF2 > VF3.

There is a reason for the difference in price between the VF3 and the other two. I say go with the VF4 if the prices you are seeing are similar. I am happy with my VF2 with the exception that it doesn't come with a locking mechanism. Many have reported it getting knocked off the camera. Mine is attached to the camera body via a lens-keeper strap.
  14. bigal1000

bigal1000 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Good choice !
  15. cpclark

cpclark Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 11, 2013
    Nashville, Tennessee, USA
    Christopher Paul
    I bought a used VF-2 a few months ago for under $100 for my E-PL3 so if price is a factor (like it was for me) that's the way to go.

It looks very nice on the camera; not too big. Even though there is no lock like the flash accessory, the fit is so tight I can't see it ever falling off under normal use.
  16. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    VF-3: I got a great deal and it works just fine.
    VF-2: Great EVF and I got a great deal on a used one.
    VF-4: Like an OVF and a major shooting experience upgrade for my little camera.

Which one is you?
    • Like Like x 1
  17. oly18

oly18 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 21, 2011
    I've had and tried all 3. VF4 is way to go. Save money for it... it's worth it.
    • Like Like x 1