1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus VF-2 fit Lumix GX-1?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Planner, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Planner

Planner New to Mu-43

Nov 2, 2012
    Shanghai
    Hello everyone,

Can anyone tell me if the very excellent VF-2 will fit a GX-1 please?
    The alternative does not appear as desirable.

2. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    As far as I know, the technology is not compatible. The connection ports are all proprietary.

3. phl0wtography

phl0wtography Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 15, 2011
    Not all. Leica and Olympus use the same.

4. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    Well, more accurately, Leica uses Olympus EVF's. Leica's time is better spent inventing 7 syllable adjectives to describe their greater than human product offerings.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Which still says the same thing - that Olympus EVFs are not exactly proprietary. Not only do they fit on Leica cameras, but they also fit on every single Olympus :43: offering except ONE model - the E-P1. That's 9 Olympus bodies if my count is correct, not including the Leicas (I think it'll fit on 2 of them?). So 11 bodies in total if my numbers are correct. Not only that, but there are two models of cross-compatible EVFs you can choose from, the VF-2 or VF-3. The Leica EVF can fit on your Olympus body as well, but that would be silly... why pay extra money for the exact same EVF with the name "LEICA" printed on it? lol.

On the other side of the field though... the LVF-2 works on one camera only, the GX-1. Sure it'll work on the GX-2 when that comes out, but that's still an awfully small showing. The LVF-1 had worked on only 2 bodies, the GF-1 and GF-2, and was already phased out by the GF-3. Hopefully the LVF-2 will not have such a short life.

@Planner: To answer your question more specifically though, for your GX-1 you need the LVF-2. That's the only EVF that will work on it. The good news though, is that the LVF-2 should be every bit as good as the Olympus VF-2. The bad news is that it will only be useful for one camera (at the moment). It's not a versatile investment that can be used on a multitude of bodies, like the VF-2. If you plan on investing on a GX-2 down the road though, then your LVF-2 will continue to spread its worth and is priced between the VF-3 and VF-2. For only one camera, it's a good deal.

6. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    The LVF-2 is $170 at B&H while the VF-2 is $249 , I use to have both and honestly I like the design of the LVF-2 more, and there is no discernible difference in image with my eyes, anyways.

7. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    Also, IIRC, the VF-2 fits the XZ, so 11 total. :smile:

8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Oh yeah, forgot the XZ! :D The way they're going with the new Tough series, I wouldn't be surprised if it eventually became compatible as well.

9. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Pana
    also works on Lx7 and presumably future Lx cameras as well. As a Lvf2 owner I have to admit I am a little worried that that Gx1 will be the last camera its good for :/ considering the massive markdowns I wouldn't be shocked if Pana either shelved this line for a few product cycles or went with built in one on next model.

10. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

:rofl:
    :rofl:

That and moving the decimal point over an extra space or two for their prices!

11. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I hate Panasonic's proprietary ports!{not as bad as some of Sony's though :doh: }
    They don't even carry over from one model to another! Olympus' port works on many of their models not just one or two. This allows you to get an accessory and use it on more than one model instead of having to buy new ones for each model OR keep your accessories when you upgrade bodies.

Yea Olympus :thumbup: and BOO Panasonic!:mad:
    Part of the reason I went Olympus was because of this!

12. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Well ah "technically",..... it's Epson that makes the EVF for both Olympus & Leica...:smile:

13. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike

Yeah, but then the joke wouldn't have worked as well! Thanks for the correction.

14. Planner

Planner New to Mu-43

Nov 2, 2012
    Shanghai
    thanks dry

15. Planner

Planner New to Mu-43

Nov 2, 2012
    Shanghai
    Thanks Ned,
    Grinch has said that the LVF-2 image is the same as that of the VF-2. Other s have criticized it quite strongly. Have yu used one or both?

16. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
  17. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    I have the Panasonic. It is very good. I only used the Olympus very briefly in the shop and I liked it a lot as well but I can't really compare. They do have pretty similar technical specs. One thing I will say is that Panasonic seems a bit more compact and has a locking mechanism where Olympus VF2 does not.