Olympus VF-2 - Experiences

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by toob, Jul 30, 2010.

1. toob

toob New to Mu-43

Jul 18, 2010
    My VF-2 arrived via ground carrier today! I have a black E-PL1 body but I opted for the silver VF-2 (I say "opted for" but really that translates into "it was the only thing available - and even difficult to find, at that.").

I'm quite pleased that I got silver, as the E-PL1 is in fact not wholly black, but a combo of black and silver (how convenient!) and in fact in no way does the viewfinder look like it doesn't belong on the camera because it's silver and not black. Functionally, I'm quite positive it wouldn't have mattered, even if it were to have arrived and it was instead lime green or burnt orange! :smile:

My initial impression is that using the VF-2 should reduce battery consumption since the LCD on the back shuts off during use (this is an issue I wasn't clear about upon purchasing it). This should be a huge plus right off the bat!

I also love the fact that I'm not pressing my face to the back of the camera, even with the VF-2 in its home position, due to the slight protrusion from the back of the camera. This in itself should keep the shinies off my ACMAXX LCD protector!

I feel much more at "home" now with the VF-2, I don't imagine I'll ever take it off. I'm a manual focuser so this was a very natural decision. Also, I've always found 'LCD screen only' cameras to be frustrating because I would instinctively press my face against them and, well, then I can't see anything ~ Now, I'm tickled pink!

Both of the below images were taken with the VF-2 intact and using the Panasonic 45-200mm lens on the E-PL1 body.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

~~Melissa in Nevada
    Some of My Test Shots Taken with the E-PL1

• Like Like x 6
  2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Melissa,
    About the battery....well...ya might want to rethink that idea.
    The issue is that when using the viewfinder. The finder or the screen is always on.
    If you don't use the finder, then you can set the Fn button to screen off...the battery will last a long time but with the finder...
    just get an extra battery......

Welcome to the forum.....
    Shooter

• Like Like x 2
  3. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Yes, I was thinking the same thing Don... always carry a fully charged spare battery anyhow :smile:

Cheers

Brian

4. Welcome and congrats on your new EVF. The EVF was the needed addition to the Pen in my circumstance. Without it, I would have been happy staying with my larger Oly 4/3 gear. Due to it, I am starting to sell off my standard 4/3 gear.

The comments about the battery have haunted any of the cameras using the BLS-1. It depleted out quickly with my E-410s and it does the same with my E-PL1 too. I agree that extra batteries are a must. While the VF-2 has me thinking to get an EP-2, the battery issue has me on the fence in the purchase prior to the anticipated news of new Oly gear in September. (maybe it should be a non-issue but I'm used to and still am shooting with a gripped E-1 and E-3:)

Anyways, you've got some great gear and certainly seem to appreciate it. Enjoy!

5. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Congrats on the new gear - I tend to store my evf off camera (in its pouch on my camera strap) as it seems easy to dislodge. Yours may be a better fit. It is pretty much essential for manual focus work and will be a great aid.

6. saeveritt

saeveritt Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2010
    Southern Texas
    Do you mind taking a picture of your EPL1 with the viewfinder? I am considering investing and would like to see how it looks! Fantastic shots by the way!

7. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Michelle, is that a baby or young Alpaca? Very sweet looking and your dog looks like a good friend. Sounds like you've gotten yourself a really great set up with the camera, the EVF/VF-2 and that lens.

I bet the silver looks great on the E-PL1.:wink:

8. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator Moderator Subscribing Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    As noted by others, the evf is NOT a positive in terms of battery life, but having the option is a huge overall plus. I don't use mine most of the time, but when I do it's often the difference between getting the shot or not. Very bright light and long lenses are where it gets used most of the time. Otherwise, I prefer the feel and the look of the camera without it. I probably use it less than a quarter of the time, but I wouldn't want to be without a camera that had the option.

Flying back tomorrow after 3 1/2 weeks in Europe with 2500-3000 shots that survived the in-camera culling. I can't wait to see what I've got on a larger screen than 3". Regardless, I know I have a lot that I wouldn't if not for the evf.

-Ray

9. sam_m

sam_m Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2010
    great shots, love the dog, and that lens looks good, wonder how it compares to the Olympus 40-150.

ive made the purchase of the EV2 swell and i really enjoy being able to compose an image using this rather than the LCD, which is actually very good despite the lower pixel count compared to others.

10. JoeFriday

JoeFriday Mu-43 Regular

Jun 28, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    nice photos!

I use my EVF maybe half the time on my EP2, depending on my mood in most cases. But outside on sunny days it's a necessity. It seems a little bulky in looks, but it's not bad at all in actual use. I also love how you can tilt it up when necessary or to avoid attention. Funny how looking down at a camera seems to attract no attention.

11. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
    Baccio is quite photogenic!