Olympus user looking to switch to G9 primarily for stills, anyone else make the switch?

BrundleFly

Mu-43 Regular
Current EM5 Mkii owner, I have a lot of great things to say about the camera but after 4 years of heavy use I'm ready for a change.

Held the G9 in store and despite being big for a M43 camera, I fell in love with the handling. For anyone who has made the switch, I have a few questions.

How is CAF Tracking, specifically eye tracking with Olympus lenses?
Does the G9 offer a similar feature to the awesome live highlight/shadow warnings of the Olympus system?
Is lowlight autofocus an issue for the G9?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys!

The Squirrel Mafia

New to Mu-43
https://mirrorlesscomparison.com/panasonic-vs-olympus/g9-vs-em1-mark-ii/

^ That article should give you an idea.

It's a thorough comparison between the G9 & the E-M1 Mark II. They're both about equal, but like usual, each one give up something for something in each camera. If BIF type of AF is what you're looking for, the E-M1 II has a slight edge with it's OSPDAF, but Panasonic's DFD is not far behind.

I don't have either, but I'd personally get the G9 for myself.

BrundleFly

Mu-43 Regular
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks The Squirrel Mafia, appreciate the link!

CAF would be used more so to keep up with my younger family members so I think the G9 would be more than adequate.

CyVan

Mu-43 All-Pro
Thanks The Squirrel Mafia, appreciate the link!

CAF would be used more so to keep up with my younger family members so I think the G9 would be more than adequate.
After reading that link keeping in mind that both cameras have gotten significant firmware updates since. Why are you favouring the G9 over the E-M1 II?

What do you think it does better or is it just the ergonomics.

I have a G9 but the new focusing ability of the E-M1 II since the upfrade is getting rave reviews.

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
One thing I like about the E-M1 II and the E-M1X is the auto-focus range limiter in the body's menu (not the lens). I think that is an omission of the G9. Useful for wildlife where you do not want it shooting something in the background with animal in foreground. Too many missed shots not having that feature for me. I have mine set for three different near-and-far ranges depending on the tele lens in use. I want birds within a good working range and not wasting time focusing on the sky or some distant thing while they fly off.

It's probably one of those "I don't like or understand the depth of Olympus menu" things for many, but it has a useful purpose - imho.

stratokaster

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Pavel
One thing I like about the E-M1 II and the E-M1X is the auto-focus range limiter in the body's menu (not the lens). I think that is an omission of the G9. Useful for wildlife where you do not want it shooting something in the background with animal in foreground. Too many missed shots not having that feature for me. I have mine set for three different near-and-far ranges depending on the tele lens in use. I want birds within a good working range and not wasting time focusing on the sky or some distant thing while they fly off.

It's probably one of those "I don't like or understand the depth of Olympus menu" things for many, but it has a useful purpose - imho.
Doesn't AF NEAR and AF FAR in the G9 serve a similar purpose?

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
Real Name
Randy
I have the G9 and the highlight warning, focus peaking, and animal/human tracking work as expected with my O75-400ii. The 2.0 firmware seems to make faster work of focusing, regardless of lens brand. I have no experience shooting Olympus, but I’ve had no issues with using the Oly tele or 9mm BCL with the G9. I’m actually wildly impressed with the results on the BCL.

The one caution with mixing brands is the lack of dual IS. With an Oly lens, I can’t recall for sure, but I think you get lens only IS. It’s still pretty good, but it is a real consideration.

User ID

Mu-43 Regular
Doesn't AF NEAR and AF FAR in the G9
serve a similar purpose?
Right. Similar PURPOSE.

Can solve similar problem situations,
but is a different concept. Rather than
a defined near-to-far distance "valley",
the AF near-or-far sets AF priorities
but not specific limits.

I bought EM1 2 just before Christmas.
I have EM5 1 & 2.
Could have bought G9 cheaper but familiar with EM's and that was why I stayed with Olympus.
I do have 100-400 Panasonic and that works well with EM1.
I'm wrapped with my EM1 2 and have no regrets I didn't go G9.

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
Right. Similar PURPOSE.

Can solve similar problem situations,
but is a different concept. Rather than
a defined near-to-far distance "valley",
the AF near-or-far sets AF priorities
but not specific limits.

Clarification on the G9 new added feature,

In other words, you cannot set the range as in the below menus screen off the Olympus which shows it set to stay within 25.0 to 50.0 feet, but just an abitray NEAR or FAR for its AF to concentrate on?

af-limiter-menu-jpg.jpg

pcr1040

Mu-43 Veteran
I have had Olympus OMD EM1 mk1 and later a mk2 and used both with the Panasonic 100-400 mm lens for wild life including BIF. I eventually bought a G9 and sold the OMD EM1 Mk2 and continue to use the G9 for all of my wildlife photography. The latest Firmware update for the G9 has turned a very good camera into a great camera for my needs. I set up the Custom settings with C1 for spot and use if for animals in grass or between branches. C2 for diamond center with 18 focus points for BIF. And C3 for AI for animals and humans where I have a clear ability to frame the subject in the viewfinder and let the AI do its thing. In all cases I use back button focus. With both the Olympus mk1 and mk2 I had difficulty keeping the focus spot in the center of the frame and I found the Olympus menus, daunting, for me. Its a personal thing, but while using the Olympus, I must say it is an excellent camera. But, IMHO, the G9 has an edge on it for the way I shoot wildlife. I also use a Sony A7R3 for landscape. So I pick the tool that IMHO best fits the job. No one system will do everything one want to do. If I were doing lots of image stacking or micro work, or needed the HiRez function without a tripod, The Olympus would be the clear winner, for me. But I don't do much of that and so, for my limited needs the G9 is my choice.

User ID

Mu-43 Regular
@Mack re: near-far AF

Correct. There is no distance scale. Near and Far are
preferences imposed onto the AF's "brain" to favor
foreground-ish or background-ish choices when AF
encounters multiple possible choices to focus onto.

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
@Mack re: near-far AF

Correct. There is no distance scale. Near and Far are
preferences imposed onto the AF's "brain" to favor
foreground-ish or background-ish choices when AF
encounters multiple possible choices to focus onto.
Thanks for the info.

It sounds like Panasonic just moved what is on some lenses as the 1-4 meters (i.e Making it a "Near" position.), 4 meters to infinity (i.e. a "Far" position.), or the 1 meter to infinity switch ("Full" AF range.) slide-switch which leads to slow AF hunting. I really am annoyed with the Olympus 60mm macro as it must take a few seconds as it hunts back and forth and finally focus locks without a tight AF range constraint.

With the Olympus, I initially set up and assign the AF Limiter to focus on a background that I do not want, and then set the menu closer until it no longer AF locks on the background. Much the same for the foreground menu AF Limiter setting too. I've tweaked it in tenths at times to ignore the background with the birds. That speeds the AF up a lot. Seems that is not an option with the Panasonic - yet.

Overall, I like the Olympus method better, although it's a deeper refined menu, where I can assign a working range and ignore both the close and distant objects where the wildlife may not be worth capturing for detail purposes.

User ID

Mu-43 Regular
Thanks for the info.

It sounds like Panasonic just moved what is on some lenses as the 1-4 meters (i.e Making it a "Near" position.), 4 meters to infinity (i.e. a "Far" position.), or the 1 meter to infinity switch ("Full" AF range.) slide-switch which leads to slow AF hunting. ...................................
.................................................................................
No. Nothing like the range limit switch sometimes found on
lenses. Such a switch ... or it's equal in a menu choice .... deals
with confining the focus range to actual measurable distances.

Near and Far preference [or priority] does not recognize finite
measurements. If you set Near, and the possible subjects range
from 3ft to 15ft, it will choose the 3ft focus distance. But if the
possible subjects range form 25ft to 100ft, it will focus on the
subject matter at 25ft. There are no actual distance ranges that
can be defined or set.

AF in Near or Far mode obeys one of these two instructions:
NEAR = "Choose the closest target. Do not look beyond it"
FAR = "Ignore out of focus objects except for the one furthest
away. Focus on the furthest and allow closer objects to remain
out of focus."

In this system, all distances are relative, none are absolute. It's
not really handy if you wanna use shallow DoF for isolating a
center of interest. It's very handy when using deeper DoF, to
establish the true focused plane at either the front or the rear
of the DoF range, with deep DoF tapering slowly away from
the plane on of best focus.

Last edited:

fishtug

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Monty
I'm an Olympus user from years back when my first 'good' camera was an OM 10 - I went from 4/3 to µ4/3 -
After having most of the OMD series at one time or another and having back wheel problems with 2 EM1 Mki
cameras I became leery of Olympus quality control - Instead of going to an EM1 Mkii I bought a DC-G9 - I just
couldn't get used to the joystick and a few other quirks that I didn't take the time to figure out - I found that my collection of
higher end 4/3 lenses didn't perform as well with the Lumix answer to PDAF and I sold it and bought n EM1-Mkii -
It was a fine camera but the Olympus menu had become second nature and I just couldn't get used to using two different menus - The Lumix is a fine piece of machinery but I guess I am a confirmed Olympus driver -

Mike G

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mike Gorman
With every new to you camera, there will be a learning curve. My experience tells me that it does no good to compere exactly different brands expecting an exact match. It won’t happen!
The G9 and the E-M1MARKII MK II are both very fine cameras but they are not like for like, hence the need for a learning curve!

Last edited:

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
Real Name
Randy
I’ve never held an Olympus camera, but I’ve had Lumix for so long that I have stayed with the brand. The G85/95 and G9 are the ideal body type for me, and I’m used to the menus. I’ve been curious about trying Olympus, but the last thing I need to do is a wholesale reinvestment of time and money!

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
The new near/far on the G9 works very well. It doesn't care what the distance is, it just focuses on whatever is closer or more distant depending on your choice. It doesn't care if it's an airplane against distant clouds or a chair in front of a wall. Moreover, there is no need to make the choice and then focus, when you choose it simply focuses instantly. Mine is assigned to the function buttons next to the lens. Top is near, bottom is far. Push one or the other and it just does it. It's the most intuitive upgrade I think I've ever seen.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom