1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Olympus USA online store

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by WilburNJ, Feb 22, 2013.

1. WilburNJ

WilburNJ Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2012
    After dealing the Olympus online store twice during their short sales window, they are obviously either understaffed or staffed by unqualified people. I experienced problems with both orders and in both circumstances, the staff mislead me on the delivery date or does not seem to understand their own delivery process such that my deliveries were delayed.

Just a word of caution to those who might buy from the site in the future. Don't expect to get prompt service from them. If you require certainty that your order will be right and will be shipped to you as promised, I suggest you go to B&H, Adorama, Amazon, or any of the other credible vendors out there.

Best,

Will

2. Arvin

Arvin Mu-43 Regular

Jan 18, 2012
    Good call - thanks for the info.

3. Zariell

Zariell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    Sorry but I'm going to have to disagree with you, I've had several dealings with them and have always gotten stellar service which was prompt and knowledgable. I've never had an item misplaced.

I have done enough business with them in fact that one of their customer service reps who is named Elizabeth, asks me about my family and she always knows who I am, I've had the same level of service with Jon.

So I would advise anyone to take things with a grain of salt before you decide to avoid them, and that goes for my words as well, don't take my word for it, try them for yourself.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    Gets better. Go look at the 9-18 mft at that site. Underneath it are suggested options, all incorrect for that lens. They show a rear cap, a hood, and a front center pinch cap that are all too large for the 9-18.

5. stingx

stingx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 10, 2012
    Weird, NJ
    Hugh Douche
    I haven't had a bad experience with them but don't online shop all that often for gear. I like to "touch" the product I'm looking to buy and, luckily, I have B&H, Adorama, and Unique Photo close by. I agree with taking all posts with a grain of salt.

6. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I have never ordered from them before and will keep this in mind. They have had a few sales from time to time that were really good but I either missed them or didn't have the funds to buy. I have to order all of my gear as the closest camera/electronics store is 200 miles away. I usually use B&H, Adorama or Cameta. I also buy used from ebay and other m4/3 members.

7. oldsweng

oldsweng Mu-43 Regular

Apr 21, 2011
    Oregon
    I've ordered several items from the online store. I've never had to deal with a person during these purchases as all were sent promptly and there were no problems.

• Like Like x 1
  8. riverr02

riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    New York
    Rafael
    I've ordered a few items from them, all without incident. Maybe bad luck?

9. vcs700s

vcs700s Mu-43 Regular

Jan 9, 2013
    Me too.

10. Savas K

Jan 10, 2013
    My stuff didn't ship until I called to discuss my order. I tried the email route first; didn't work. That got me the auto-respoder and no contact for days after. But I did have a pleasant conversation with the woman working there once I called.

11. snaimpally

snaimpally Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2012
    Its possible that during this particular sale the sales staff were understaffed or the orders exceeded their expectations, causing your bad experience.

12. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I've only ordered from Olympus's online store twice and both purchases went smoothly. With Panasonic Direct, meanwhile, one could wait months for delivery. They were always back-ordered and/or unsure of what was what. I'm not saying Panasonic wasn't honest, they just seemed a bit disorganized.

13. Savas K

Jan 10, 2013
    Part of the reason I went with Olympus was choice. They had both colors of 45-150R. And during the sale at the time I ordered, B&H hadn't offered the sale price. There was also the feeling that, given no price benefit to go elsewhere, I might as well go with a seller whose supply was less handled and moved about, as products normally are, in order to appear on retailers' shelves.

14. OhWellOK

OhWellOK Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    I've ordered a couple items direct from Olympus - both experiences were fine. They're pretty good at answering email questions usually within 24 hrs. They did seem to take a little while longer than most places to ship out your item, though, but I think they're close by so I received both orders very quickly once shipped.

15. darcius1

darcius1 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2013
    Sandwich Isles
    Ordered from then without incident. Prompt service. Sorry to hear about a bad experience here.

Was happy with promotion and free shipping on the lenses I ordered as well as sooner than expected arrival.

I like the in-body IS of even the most basic PEN and the quality of olympus lenses I have bought so far. I have a good friend who reps Olympus, so will continue to support Olympus.

16. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    My 15 body cap lens took forever but that was expected. The 40-150 was a very quick delivery.

17. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    My few experiences have been positive, with no problems. I don't doubt other's bad experiences, but wanted to join in to let people know that they are not universal.

18. WilburNJ

WilburNJ Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2012
    I guess there are people here who have had good experiences with them, so I'm glad for them. But my only two were not good, for whatever reason. In both cases, I dealt with a woman named Elizabeth who was pleasant enough, but didn't perform well or couldn't get her colleagues to perform consistent with her promises.

Just to give you the exact history of my interactions with them, here goes:

When I posted on this forum the fact that Oly had a "weekly sale" going on that priced the 40-150 at $99, I had already placed my order. A few days after my online order, Elizabeth left me a voice mail message that she needed to confirm my order. It took two days to finally get her on the phone. I kept going to her voivlcemail when I called. And despite leaving her a message, she never called me back, so I kept chasing her. Finally, I spoke to her and she confirmed my order and said I would get a shipping notice that night. A week or so passed and I started seeing people post on the thread I started indicating that they received their order. So I called Elizabeth back. Took a while again. Then when I eventually spoke to her, she said she didn't know why my order never went thru the rest of processing but that she would "manually" put it through, as if she was doing me a personal favor. Never mind that I was inconvenienced by either her not pushing the button when I spoke to her to confirm the order or because of some processing hiccup after her. She was pleasant, but never apologized. So, whatever, I eventually got my lens and my flash. In the grand scheme of things, no big deal.

Then, I decided to buy the grip on sale and used my discount code I received when I registered my second Oly camera (the EM5). Online processing seemed fine, except that the receipt didn't say anything about the free strap that was supposed to be included with the promotion. I placed the order over the presidents day weekend, so I ended up calling Elizabeth on Thursday when I hadn't heard anything from Olympus. She again said she doesn't know why my order was hung up (inexplicably again) and said she would manually push it thru. She volunteered that it would go out via next day delivery and that I would get it tomorrow. I confirmed, that it will go out tonight and be delivered tomorrow, meaning Friday. She said, oh yes, definitely.

In this conversation, I mentioned that the strap is supposed to be included in the promotion, and she confirmed that it was NOT part of the order. So, she again said she would manually override the system and add the strap to my order.

At some point Friday, I received a shipping notice stating that the delivery will be on Monday. So no overnight delivery after all. Also, I wonder if the strap will be included. I guess I'll see on Monday. I hope I get the delivery because I'm traveling abroad on Tuesday and would love to bring the new gear.

So, these were my only two experiences with Oly's online store. Not very good. Not horrible, and I don't think Elizabeth or anyone else there is being malicious in any way. They just seem either understaffed or collectively unqualified to run that operation smoothly.

Bottom line is that if you need something in a hurry and can't afford for your order to be delayed or be wrong, then you might want to consider another vendor who might better meet your timing and accuracy requirements. That was the purpose of my original post, to warn members of this community who might need something urgently. I'm just an amateur and neither of my orders were critical, so no real harm done. But, if someone is about to go off on a trip and wanted to bring along new gear, I wanted to caution them about my experience.

19. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I will note I've never dealt with their customer service dept. How a company acts when something has gone wrong is very telling. That's why I often deal with B&H and Amazon.

20. Gary Ramey

Gary Ramey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 27, 2012
    Aurora Colorado
    I had an okay experience. My lens order backordered...there was no email suggesting that and my online order back ordered. I went on the site and under my Olympus there was no information stating it backordered. So I called and did speak with a customer service agent who was friendly and got quick answers to the status of my order.