1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus US doesn't do their own their own repairs

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by b_rubenstein, May 21, 2013.

1. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    Olympus US farms out camera repairs to Precision Camera Repair. Note that the Texas address is the same one that is on the Olympus US web site.

I sent my E-PL5 in for service last week, and today its status was n Repair. I noticed that the cursor showed precisioncamerarepair. When I went to Precision's web site, the tracking screen looked the same as the Olympus site. I entered the tracking number I got from Olympus, entered it and it returned the status of my camera.

Based on what I saw on the Olympus site, Precision has been doing the repairs since April 1st. I'll get to find out if they're any good. The interesting this is if you're in the Enfield, CT area, you can drop your camera off for repair:

Contact, Drop-Off and Shipping Info
    Contact Information:
    Customer Service Phone: 800-665-6515
    Customer Service Phone Hours:
    Monday – Friday: 9:00 AM ET – 9:00 PM PT

Repair Drop-Off Locations:

Precision Camera East
    7 Anngina Drive
    Enfield, CT 06082
    Eastern Lobby Business Hours
    Monday – Friday: 9:00 AM ET – 5:00 PM ET
    Thursday Evening: 5:00 AM ET – 9:00 PM ET

Note: This is not a shipping location

Precision Camera West
    11500 Rojas Drive, Suite A
    El Paso, TX 79936
    Western US Lobby Business Hours
    Monday – Friday: 9:00 AM MT – 5:00 PM MT

Ship Repairs To:

Precision Camera & Video Repair

11500 Rojas Drive, Suite J

El Paso, TX 79936

2. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    As long as Olympus trains and certifies them on Olympus cameras and stands behind the repairs, it's fine by me.

3. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    You'd have something to worry about if they shipped cameras to me to fix.

4. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    If it's cheaper direct contact with them for out of warranty repair? that will be nice for many out of warranty body/ lenses user.

5. pcake

pcake Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2010
    a quick google shows precision is also the dropoff for sears camera repairs.

6. runner girl

runner girl Mu-43 Regular

Nov 26, 2011
    Interestingly I sent my 45mm lens in for a second repair just after April 1. It took them a lot longer to do the repair and their system for tracking was much less reliable than before. Also I sent the lens to TX but it was returned to me from CT.

7. b_rubenstein

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    Follow up:

I had sent my E-PL5 in for repair, because the rear control dial was acting erratically. It found its way to TX 5/17, went into repair (CT) 5/21, came out of repair 5/23 and was delivered by UPS in Brooklyn 5/24. I think this is a perfectly acceptable turn around time.

The camera came back well packed with all the parts/accessories it was sent out with. Best of all it's working properly again. I'm very pleased, because I like Olympus gear and didn't want to feel like it was a risk to keep buying their products. I've been at this almost 40 years and have found customer support and service to be very important.

8. newbert

newbert Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 22, 2012
    Glens Falls, NY
    Bruce,

Thanks for providing us the update, and I'm glad to hear a positive report about Olympus service.

9. DeoreDX

DeoreDX Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 13, 2013
    Alabama
    Just shipped my e-pm1 off to El Paso to fix the date and time loss. We'll see how long it takes and how good of a job they do.

10. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    I guess the New Jersey facility has shut its doors.

Its actually good to see that they have an east and west coast facility now. Use to be that us folks im the west had to send their stuff all the way to Jersey for repair.

Do customers still pay for outbound shipping?

11. b_rubenstein

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    Olympus did repairs in their Long Island, NY facility, but no longer.

Yes, you have to pay to ship the camera to Olympus, but I'm pretty sure that's the case for all camera companies.

12. OCULUS

OCULUS Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2012
    Albany, NY
    Ray Hull
    It appears that the same can be said about Tech Support on the OM-D. They all have Indian-sounding names and accents now. Gone are the good ole E-1/3 days when you would be connected to an ENGINEER in Long Island when you had a serious question.

13. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    This is the same location that I have been told to ship my E-P2 for an IR conversion too. I was expecting it would go to Conn' like my Nikon did a few years ago!

14. DeoreDX

DeoreDX Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 13, 2013
    Alabama
    My camera arrived on May 28. Went "into repair" June 1st, and went out of repair and shipped today the 6th. 9 day turn around time to replace the board.

15. DeoreDX

DeoreDX Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 13, 2013
    Alabama
    Looks like my E-PM1 shipped from CT too. Are they sending all Oly repairs from El Paso to CT? Seems like they could skip the middle man and save 3-4 days of processing time shipping it to CT for repair.

16. b_rubenstein

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    It's Precision Camera's operation. Everything goes to TX and then they decide to repair it there or ship it to CT. Since P&S cameras get repaired in TX, most of the cameras probably stay in TX.

17. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    That's a bummer they have to send through multiple channels. Sorry to dig up an old thread but I had a great customer service experience after my sensor glass broke. 1 day business turn-around time in and out of NY. Paid for expedited shipping, the received it on Monday, had in my hands Wednesday morning.

8539132294_77004f749f_b.
    Off she goes by J.Bower, on Flickr

18. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    How much did you end up paying for that kind of repair?

19. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I'm more curious about how you managed to break your low-pass filter like that. ;) What happened? We need details. :D

20. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    yes that too :biggrin: