1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Olympus uploader can not connect EM-1 on Mac El Capitan

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by rogergu, Oct 4, 2015.

1. rogergu

rogergu Mu-43 Regular

Feb 11, 2013
    Just updated my MacBook Pro to El Capitan and noticed that Olympus Digital Camera Uploader application could not connect to my EM-1 for firmware update, error code - oxfffffffc

Anyone has seen the same problem? Any fix?

2. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    Windows!!!! ;) Or move back to Yosemite:( I imagine if you give Olympus a little bit of time they will make their program compatible.

3. TransientEye

TransientEye Mu-43 Regular

Sep 18, 2013
    Barcelona
    Mark
    Unfortunately it will not work because Olympus uses a kernel extension that is installed to the wrong place and which is also not correctly signed (!). El Capitan treats this as potential malware and will not load it.

It may be possible to make it work by disabling the OS unsigned-kext protection (rootless / System Integrity Protection), however doing so is probably unwise as it bypasses one of the main reasons for running 10.11 in the first place.

Apple first announced that these changes were coming two years ago, so Olympus really should be kicked for not updating their code (although the Olympus driver is very very old and appears to emulate an antique SCSI disk drive!).

I would expect that they will fix things with the 4.0 firmware release...

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    Olympus (and for that matter most camera manufactures) and top notch software just don't go hand in hand.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ugh, I just updated both my Mac computers to El Capitan and can't update the firmware of any of my Olympus cameras. Olympus really needs to get on the ball and fix this!

6. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    You can copy Oly firmware files to an SD card with a specific name, and Oly bodies will update themselves if you hold down OK while powering-on.

See http://www.43rumors.com/new-e-m1-3-0-firmware-gets-released/ for an example, but note the file name may need to be different for other firmwares.

7. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks for the heads up. I ended up just using my wife's work PC laptop to update the firmware. I'm surprised Olympus would just alienate their customers like that.

8. Sniksekk

Sniksekk Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2015
    Ahh!!
    This is the reason I struggled my a.. of last time I dumped the pictures from my camera.
    Got passed it somehow, but next time I'll rather use my windows based computer.

9. Lcrunyon

Lcrunyon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    Maybe I can avoid the problem. My E-M1 is being repaired right now (third go-round with the rear thumb dial not working well. Hopefully they'll get it right this time). As an extra service, they last time cleaned the sensor and made sure the latest firmware was loaded. I'm hoping they'll load update 4.0 on mine. They owe me for having the same problem occur two weeks after it was last "fixed." We've been having a beautiful fall here in Maryland, and I don't have my favorite camera with me to enjoy it. :crying:

10. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    Where on the Olympus site does one download firmware from? The link from http://www.43rumors.com only gets to the 3.1 fw. The rest of the directories are not open to the public.

11. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    E-M1 3.1 is current, and is at http://dl01.olympus-imaging.com/OLYMPUS_MASTER/FIRMWARES/0001/1090/OLY_E_109_3100_0000_0000.BIN

2.0 is at dl01.olympus-imaging.com/OLYMPUS_MASTER/FIRMWARES/0001/1090/OLY_E_109_2006_0000_0000.BIN

There's some info at https://www.mu-43.com/threads/64939/page-3#post-697400 -- make sure not to download the E-M5 files though!

Barry

12. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    Olympus does not list, or support, downloadable firmware on their public site. People who standard, commercial operating systems, like Windows or Macs, have a reasonable expectation that Olympus will provide a supported means to update firmware. This is just another display of Frat Boy mentality by Olympus management, and another example of why the rest of the camera industry does firmware updates by downloading the file, putting it on a memory card and updating from that.

13. markdo

markdo New to Mu-43

Nov 18, 2015
    Olympus Updater 1.2.1 was released October 11, 2015 and works with El Capitan. No worries.

Update 11/19/15:
    Just retested the connection of both the EM1 and EM5 II with Updater 1.2.1 using MacOs 10.11.1. Both cameras connect perfectly. (Download the Updater through the Olympus Capture.app.) Now, just waiting to download the firmware updates!

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

And (according Olympus USA) the FW 4.0 for the E-M1 will be available on the 26th November.

• Like Like x 2
  15. For Mac owners in the U.S., there's no direct download link for Olympus Updater 1.2.1 (yet, due to unspecified server issues). But I got a callback from Oly Tech Support in the U.S. with the official way for Mac owners running El Capitan to get the updated Updater before the firmware updates:

* Open the "Olympus Capture" app
    * Under the "Help" menu, select "Update Software"
    * You'll get a list of any Oly software on your machine with updated versions, and clicking on the download button will get you an installer file for the new version.

I did this, updated all my Oly software, and once again my Mac can talk with my OM-D bodies and lenses without any problems. Now I just have to wait for my Thanksgiving presents from Olympus......

• Like Like x 1
  16. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Only a week to go. :rolleyes: For the update that is, since that is not a date we observe. ;)

17. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    From the US Olympus's getolympus.com web site - so Capture no will no longer be required >

Digital Camera Updater compatible with Mac OS 10.11 El Capitan will be available November 30.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
  18. markdo

markdo New to Mu-43

Nov 18, 2015
    It is already available through Olympus Capture app's internal update function... as described above.

19. Nam-in-Sonoma

Nam-in-Sonoma Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 23, 2012
    Penngrove, CA
    Nam
    You have to use Olympus Viewer the check for update and then it will tell you that Olympus Camera Update have a new version 1.2.1. Download it and install it. Restart and then it would work fine...it was available a few days ago.

20. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    Exactly. Get Downloader 1.2.1 and all the firmware updates for the bodies and lens work as they have in the past.