Olympus TRIP

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by dornblaser, Mar 17, 2014.

1. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    43 Rumors is reporting a rumor that Olympus is going to make a modern version of their TRIP. http://www.43rumors.com/ft3-olympus-digital-trip-d-camera-coming-soon/ If you are not familiar with this camera watching the video would be helpful. In short, it is a battery-less 40mm fixed lens rangefinder that is easy to use but a little odd. I always thought that Olympus should make an X100, not sure if this is that camera though.

• Like Like x 1
  2. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    43Rumors got the RF part wrong, The original Trip actually had a zone focusing system. (I looked it up on Wikipedia) It would be a nifty camera but I hope it has some kind of eye level finder, even if it's only old school optical.

3. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    43Rumors probably meant rangefinder-style. An eye level EVF would be great, making the camera very compact would be nice as well. It will be interesting to see what focal length they pick for the lens, if they actually build this camera.

4. CiaranCReilly

CiaranCReilly Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 18, 2012
    Dublin
    Ciaran Reilly
    Four thirds sensor with optics from 25mm f/1.8 would be super, none of the current crop of fixed lens large sensor cameras go to 50mm without an awkward adapter, and there's definitely a market for a 50.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Mu-43 mobile app

• Like Like x 2
  5. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    A retro-style fixed lens camera could sell well, if priced right. Something with the appeal of the X100 and the price of the GR. :)

Also interesting is if they decided to go full frame....

6. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    That might explain disappearance of EP line . Olympus may try to get people to buy this premium camera instead . I am not sure if they wouldn't be actually cannibalizing some of their own sales but I guess it's worth a try to shake up the Pen line.

7. CiaranCReilly

CiaranCReilly Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 18, 2012
    Dublin
    Ciaran Reilly
    I think this rumoured Trip camera, a revised E-PL renamed just E-P and the OMD line would make a very good range

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Mu-43 mobile app

8. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    I would consider one if they made it properly pocketable with a reasonable VF optical or otherwise, if its a 28mm equ or 35mm then for me it becomes a no no, that is if it is a fixed lens. An optical finder I can use on a one to one ratio and 50mm equivalent and it would be just too hard to resist.

9. Kingsfan

Kingsfan Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 22, 2010
    highland park, CA
    Q
    i have a huge boner right now...

especially since my Trip's light meter just died

10. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    If you google Tripman I guess he can bring it back to life.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Kingsfan

Kingsfan Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 22, 2010
    highland park, CA
    Q
    looks like it'll just be cheaper to find another used one... thanks tho!

12. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Thanks for sharing :rofl::rofl:

• Like Like x 2
  13. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    It would be nice. I currently have the 25 on my EPM2 and it's a great combo. Of course, there would really be no reason to buy this version of the the new Trip unless it was really small.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Jay86

Jay86 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    Make it like a X100 but smaller and with a 25mm lens on it (50mm equivalent) and Im sold...

• Like Like x 1
  15. LarsB

LarsB Mu-43 Regular

Apr 12, 2013
    Umeå, Sweden
    I can´t believe this! My wife is soon turning 40 and a few weeks back I asked her what she wanted for her birthday. She was thinking about a new compact camera and we started talking about what kind she would like. She has an old Trip 35 and she said that it would be really cool to have a digital version of that.
    I have been searching the market and finally decided to get her a fujifilm x20. The camera arrived to my house yesterday and this morning on my way to work I found this thread!

16. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Nifty. I always thought the XZ line was meant to be a Pen EE/Trip Homage ?

Maybe rebranding the XZ, replacing the zoom with a fixed lens and adding an EVF with a m43 sensor would do the trick ? Although that would probably be a whole new camera . . .

17. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I hope this doesn't sound the death knell for the Pens. It does seem that Oly is having better success with the OMD branding though, so maybe that plus the Trip might be where they're heading.

18. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    Though they may surprise everyone and make it with interchangeable lenses, their version of the GM1 even better if it rocks a viewfinder.

• Like Like x 1