Olympus Trade Up Event - E-M1X for $2,500

Is the trade in worth? Or I am better off selling my gear elsewhere, I have no idea with Olympus trade ins..how is their evaluation and if they reduce the value upon receiving the item? I am little wary of doing trade ins now a days. Frustrating experience with Samsung two times.

ac12

Mu-43 All-Pro
Trade-in of almost anything is usually well below market value. So yes you will do better selling on your own.
Whoever buys the item from you in the trade-in, has to make enough profit when they resell it, to make it worth buying from you. That is why your trade in will be below market price.
A trade-in is primarily convenience, where you don't have to sell the item.
And on OLD stuff, the trade-in can be so low, that it is just not worth the effort.

Retief

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Bill Dewey
I'm glad to know you care so much about me that you'll check back in 5 years. 1:drinks::flypig:
I hope we are both still here in 5 years so we CAN check back in ….

So my tale of the M1X and lenses trade-in. Last batch arrived yesterday. Did this through B&H to also take advantage of the PayBoo Sales Tax Rebate. Good new, I had enough stuff to trade-in to qualify, I figure that I lost about $450-$500 on trade-in vs. eBay, with zero eBay hassle.

1st purchase:
1 - M1X - 2999 less 500
1 - 300mm f4 - 2399 less 200
1 - 40-150 f2.8 - 1399
1 - MC-14 TC - 349
I was a bit annoyed that I did not get a discount on both lenses, but the deal is 1 body 1 lens per order. Total savings, $700 from Olympus, plus $600 from PayBoo. Not a bad deal

2nd purchase under my wife's name, had to be different:
1 - M1X - 2999 less 500
1 - 40-150 f2.8 - 1399 less 200
Another $700 from Olympus and $400 from PayBoo (there were a couple of other items on this order). The ability to shave $2400 off certainly helped the transition.

I registered it all today and got a 2 year Warranty Extension from Olympus on the bodies, that is nice as well.

Still a little time left, grab 'em while you can.

Trade-in of almost anything is usually well below market value. So yes you will do better selling on your own.
Whoever buys the item from you in the trade-in, has to make enough profit when they resell it, to make it worth buying from you. That is why your trade in will be below market price.
A trade-in is primarily convenience, where you don't have to sell the item.
And on OLD stuff, the trade-in can be so low, that it is just not worth the effort.
True. I just got the quote for my mint EM5.2 - $150. I am out. It is not just below market price, its lower than stolen goods prices :speechless:

Is the trade in worth? Or I am better off selling my gear elsewhere, I have no idea with Olympus trade ins..how is their evaluation and if they reduce the value upon receiving the item? I am little wary of doing trade ins now a days. Frustrating experience with Samsung two times.
The trade-in prices will be lower than you can get elsewhere - after all, they have to mark it up and make money on it. You have to look and see if it is worth the hassle of having to list it here or on ebay and deal with the hassles of that (ebay commission, paypal commission, etc.). If you have had a frustrating experience, just ask for a quote so you get the coupon, buy the item you want, and sell the items you don't want privately.

Retief

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Bill Dewey
The trade-in prices will be lower than you can get elsewhere - after all, they have to mark it up and make money on it. You have to look and see if it is worth the hassle of having to list it here or on ebay and deal with the hassles of that (ebay commission, paypal commission, etc.). If you have had a frustrating experience, just ask for a quote so you get the coupon, buy the item you want, and sell the items you don't want privately.
Good advice. Depending upon who you are dealing with you may be required to have already shipped your items prior to getting the Olympus code. This was our case working with B&H. We did exactly as you described, checked eBay as well as places like Craigslist to make our decision. As I noted in post #65 above, I probably could have made another 400-500 dollars it I was lucky with personal sales, decided it was not worth the hassle myself.

Top Bottom