1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Olympus Trade Up Event - E-M1X for $2,500

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by ijm5012, Apr 29, 2019.

1. ac12

ac12 Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 24, 2018
    I got the EM1-mk2 via the Trade-Up promo :D 

2. rusteel

rusteel Mu-43 Regular

Mar 15, 2011
    Kansas City, KS
    Nice! B&H quoted my EM10m1 for $145, I think I'll do it. I want that EM1m2 so bad to compliment my EM5m2. LOL

3. Jeffcs

Jeffcs Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 20, 2017
    Toms River NJ
    I took advantage of the $500 discount I said I wouldn’t at the $3K price but than the discount pushed me over the edge I went for it in anticipation of the Olympus super zoom as I think it will balance better on a bigger body and still 1/3 weight and all said and done still going to be much less cash than Nikon FF lens of that zoom range

• Like Like x 2
  4. ac12

ac12 Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 24, 2018
    I just typed in the coupon code and got the trade-up discount.
    $145 is better than the $30 offer for my old dSLR. So I did not bother with the trade-in.

I don't know how the EM5 and EM10 compare, but I LIKE my EM10 for casual family parties, especially with the 14-42EZ. Nice and compact.

5. Powaysteve

Powaysteve Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Jun 23, 2017
    Poway, California
    Does anyone know if it’s possible to get a coupon without something to trade? I guess I could always buy a super cheap lens on EBay to use as a trade-in. Out of curiosity I contacted Adorama for a quote on an E-m1 mk 2 and it was ridiculous at less than $600.

6. snaimpally

snaimpally Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Dec 31, 2012
    My understanding is that you request a quote for a trade-in and get a coupon code. You can choose not to trade-in but still use the coupon code to get a discount. It is such a roundabout way of discounting their products. Why not call it a sale and temporarily lower the price?? Because that would be way too easy.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
  7. ac12

ac12 Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 24, 2018
    That is exactly what I did.
    The $30 trade in offer on my old dSLR was not worth the hassle.

8. speedy

speedy Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Nov 27, 2015
    Except you're still running two systems, & worse, a variety of mounts. APS-C, FF, & mirrorless.

9. ac12

ac12 Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 24, 2018
    Not as bad.
    As long as the F lenses are AF-S or AF-P they work on the Z6 via the FTZ adapter.
    Only in reverse, the Z lens can't work on the D500.

Between my Nikon and Olympus, nothing work in either direction.
    Well Nikon lenses will work on an Olympus body, but I loose ALL lens automation. So it is even worse than using my 1970s manual lenses on a Nikon body.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. speedy

Nov 27, 2015
    If it works for you, all good. I tried it myself over about 5? or so years, & it drove me up the wall. EF-S, EF-M, & EF. Adapters, compromised focal lengths for different formats, one way compatibility etc etc. Which is the main reason why I ended up with m4/3. One camera, one system. From ultrawide, to telephoto. All in a single mount. Everything just works. Yeah, there are still compromises, it just depends which compromises you're happy to live with.

11. ac12

ac12 Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 24, 2018
    Ah that is the problem.
    Yes, without optics, you can't put a lens with a short registration distance (mirrorless) on a camera with a long registration mount (dSLR). That one is a one-way-street, dSLR -> mirrorless.

12. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Except it's not nearly as bad as you're making it out to be.

The only lenses I have between the two systems that "overlap" are the 16-80 f/2.8-4 for F-mount, and the 24-70 f/4 for Z mount. When I'm going to the races, I bring the 16-80 with me because my primary camera at the track is the D500. When I'm traveling, I bring the 24-70 with me because my primary camera is the Z6.

I only have two Z-mount lenses that can't be used on the D500: The 24-70 (which I already have covered with the 16-80), and the 14-30 f/4 (which I don't have a duplicate of because I only use my Z6 when shooting UWA). The only other Z-mount lens I would plan on getting would be a 70-200 f/4, in which case I would sell my 70-300 that I'm currently using as my travel telephoto lens (and I already have an F-mount 70-200 f/2.8 that I use at the track on my D500, but it's unnecessarily large and heavy for general travel photography).

So, while you're technically correct that I still have two lens mounts, the reality of it is that I can share 7 out of the 9 lenses I own between the two mounts. That certainly wasn't the case when I had a D500 and an E-M1 II, where I was able to share 0 lenses between the two mounts.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. speedy

Nov 27, 2015
    I'll check back, in 5 years time, & see what systems/lenses you're still using. Then we'll know.

14. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    I'm glad to know you care so much about me that you'll check back in 5 years. :flypig::drinks::flypig:

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. speedy

Nov 27, 2015
    Ha ha ha. Your ego betrays you. It's more like a train wreck, or car crash. You don't really want to, but can't help stealing a glance :)  Out of fascination mostly I think

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Chasmodai

Chasmodai Mu-43 Regular

Oct 21, 2013
    Got the 7-14 last week, the M1X is coming tomorrow.

Now, do I really need the 45 1.2?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. masayoshi

masayoshi Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Dec 5, 2016
    Salt Lake City
    Masaaki
    If you take human portraits, you do. If you take bird portraits, then you need 300mm F4 also.:biggrin:

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    Seriously? You're asking a question like this on mu-43.com? :biggrin: Of course you do!

• Like Like x 1
  19. Chasmodai

Chasmodai Mu-43 Regular

Oct 21, 2013
    When I got paid to take pictures I used the Canon 80 1.2 quite a bit for people, and the 300 2.8L for reenactments and air shows. Now that it's a hobby I really should keep a more careful eye on spending ;) 

20. RR Jonny

RR Jonny Mu-43 Veteran

I want to thank folks for posting this. I just got a quote of $315 for my EM5 MKII from B&H. I find that acceptable and will purchase another OMD EM1 MKII. I did verify with Olympus that you are NOT required to trade in any gear. Here is their response:

The reason that the coupon is provided upfront is that we would like you to participate in the program without feeling obligated to send in your older equipment if you are not happy with the quote. We would rather not disappoint someone who has evaluated their photographic needs and want a newer model than "punish" them for not having something to trade up from. We also find customers who take advantage of the coupon and send in equipment or not.

Sincerely,

Nichole

Customer Care & Support
    Olympus America Inc.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.