1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus Trade-in/Trade up

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by tkc9789, Sep 13, 2015.

1. tkc9789

tkc9789 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    Has anyone tried this program? Just wondering what kind of deal will you be able to get.

2. mcrosa

mcrosa Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2013
    Miami, Florida
    Mike Crosa
    Where can you find out more about it?

3. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    Ah, so I can't trade up to Leica, damn! ;)

• Funny Funny x 3
  4. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    That was an interesting promotion. I could find no specific information about the trade-up options, and the price on the E-M5 (not the Mark II) on the linked page was $1,299.99 for body only! Somebody was in a hurry to get a web page up and did not bother to proofread very well.

--Ken

5. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    My guess is you will be mostly low balled on anything you bring in. I am not sure if "GET UP TO A $150 BONUS!" means you could get up to that much MORE than your trade-in value or if that IS the trade in value. If the latter (the most you will get is $150), then using Olympus cameras as an example that $150 would probably be for the E-5 and then the price drops from there.

6. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Complete gimmick, waste of time.

First of all, just sell your current camera on Craigslist. Anything that Olympus would give you $150 for, you could probably get double or more on Craigslist.

Second, even with the trade-in, that isn't enticing. B&H has the E-M1 for example, for the same $200 off, but you don't pay tax, AND you get a 4% reward to use in like 2 months, and as an ADDED bonus, you get like $100-$200 off various lenses (and on top of THAT, you also get 4% off of the lens!). All of that is without having to trade in your current camera.

Or, do the Olympus "refurbished" deals. They are brand new. Got my brother into photography with my old Panasonic G2, and upgraded him to the E-M1 last year for $800-some odd dollars, before tax and shipping. Camera was brand new, FYI. Olympus just gets overstock periodically and wants to back-channel these sales instead of pissing off their vendors like Panasonic has done.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    These programs are for lazy people, or those who need cash TODAY. Guitar center does the same thing. Gives you about 50% of what the resale value is on your used guitar and marks it up from there. Taking over for pawn shops. Same for cell phones. Much better off selling these things on your own. Funny, I sold a guitar last night on CL and we had this same discussion relating to guitars.